Liverpool v Blackburn

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 105
  • Views Views 5K
He will improve. He has been better than Cole imo. And play Babel who is better than Rodriguez the Snail winger.

Babel's a blumming fail of a player. At least Maxi does try, but he's more of a defensive winger.

This is the biggest game of the season for us, Lose here and Roy will get sacked and player morale goes from being rock bottom to non exsistent. With rumours that Reina and Johnson are having meetings with John Henry next weekend to discuss the future we need to get a result. As for Roy the thing that annoys everyone is the fact he hasnt come out and said to United hands off Torres, the fact he is refusing to believe the team are playing poorly and the fact he wants to pick Carragher at right back when he is useless there. Kelly has shown enough over the past 6 months he is good enough to play there if Johnson isnt fit.

Anyway for those who like rumours. United could bid £60 million and 180k a week for Torres, Reina, Johnson and Torres want to leave in Jan and if Torres go we could replace him with... Forlan.

I am hoping none of those are true.

Dear god if that is the team, we definately need Johnson and Kuyt back ASAP. Not enriely confident ahead of this match so will go for a 1-1 draw - realistically.

As much as I'd like to back the manager, I can't get myself round to it, I have no faith in Hodgson making us a force in England again. As hard that is to say.

He will improve. He has been better than Cole imo. And play Babel who is better than Rodriguez the Snail winger.

Jovanovic is 29, by the time he starts improving in the Prem he will start losing his pace. Babel isn't a winger. He's awful out wide, he really is, whereas Rodriguez is a seasoned winger of some acclaim.

Anyway for those who like rumours. United could bid £60 million and 180k a week for Torres, Reina, Johnson and Torres want to leave in Jan and if Torres go we could replace him with... Forlan.

I am hoping none of those are true.

Doubt it. NESV have come to sort the club out, not **** us up even more. Wouldn't mind seeing Johnson go. Hopefully Torres will improve by January, if not, I wouldn't mind him going as-well (not to United though). Reina MUST stay :wub:

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

Sorry about sounding horrible pessimistic but would anyone else take a draw out of this?

Those who want Johnson back, please tell me why? he's useless.
Much rather see Kelly ahead of him..

Those who want Johnson back, please tell me why? he's useless.
Much rather see Kelly ahead of him..

Because he was very good last year, and this year he's one of many not doing well. Kelly looked pretty pants on Thursday.

Because he was very good last year, and this year he's one of many not doing well. Kelly looked pretty pants on Thursday.

Define pretty good?
we paid £18 Million for a right back, yes a right back,
who scored 3; assisted 3 and then cost us countless others, so yes, he was pretty good.
He might have been 'pants' but he didn't cost us a goal...

Define pretty good?
we paid £18 Million for a right back, yes a right back,
who scored 3; assisted 3 and then cost us countless others, so yes, he was pretty good.
He might have been 'pants' but he didn't cost us a goal...

I didn't say "Pretty good" ^^)
Also, "Countless others", I want some evidence.

I didn't say "Pretty good" ^^)
Also, "Countless others", I want some evidence.

Tbh mate he is poor defensively. He never closes down the wide men and lets crosses come in. He's out of position 50% of the time in games and often has to have people covering for him, normally Carragher. He often loses the ball when he's on one of his 'marauding runs', leaving us prone to getting counter-attacked. He is not, 'very good'.

Glen Johnson: *Still* a gigantic waste of money:

When Rafa Benitez signed Glen Johnson in Summer 2009, I argued at the time that it was a waste of money, for a player that Liverpool (arguably) didn't need. According to many fans, Johnson was a world class signing (!); a player who would undoubtedly enhance the team. Clearly, this was wildly optimistic wishful thinking.

One common denominator in Liverpool's catastrophic failure last season, less than stellar start to this season (as well as England's pitiful performance at the recent World Cup), is Johnson’s' consistently abject performance as a so-called right back. Exactly what positive, consistent, specific, measurable impact does Johnson have on this Liverpool team?

Here are the facts:

* Johnson's arrival coincided with the club's worst league season since 1994 (in terms of position); worst overall season (all competitions) in decades, which included failure to get out of the group stage of the CL; a horrible 7th place league finish, with the consequent failure to qualify for this season's CL.

* In 2008-9 - prior to Johnson's arrival - 2 games were lost *all season*. Johnson arrived, and he featured in 12 defeats in 35 games (over one third of all the games in which he appeared). Coincidence?

* In his 35 appearances last season, the team conceded 30 goals (with Johnson directly responsible for several) His defensive frailty was exposed time and time again across the season, not only for Liverpool, but for England too.

* Despite Johnson's much vaunted attacking prowess, he managed only 3 goals and 3 assists all season. Then again, that's hardly surprising given that in the 7 years prior to joining Liverpool he averaged a paltry 1 goal and 2 assists a season. Johnson couldn't even beat his career-best figures for Portsmouth in 2008-9, where he got 3 goals and 6 assists in 37 games. Is this the level of return expected from an 18m player who is, apparently, amazing going forward?

* Johnson was directly at fault for several important goals over the season, including (amongst others) both goals in the 2-1 home defeat to Arsenal, and Christian Benitez's equalising goal for Birmingham in the 2-2 draw at Anfield. His mistakes have continued this season with his poor positional play leading to Sunderland's second goal today.

Like many fans over the last year, I've argued that Johnson should be converted into a right-winger, With Martin Kelly taking over at right back. I no longer think that's a good idea; he will be a liability in any position so the club should just cut its losses and get rid of him in January.

How have Liverpool benefited from the signing of Johnson? How has the 18m been worth it? Generalisations like 'he's great going forward' just won't cut it. If he's so great going forward, how come he only managed 3 assists all last season? I'm looking for specific, measurable examples of how Johnson actually improved the performance of the team, and how the money spent on him was worth it.

The sooner Johnson (and the remainder of the Benitez dead-wood) is shipped out, the better. For now, Roy Hodgson should just dump him in the reserves, and make Martin Kelly first choice right back.

Read more: http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2010/09/glenn-johnson-still-gigantic-waste-of.html#ixzz13HNWl1ij

http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2010/09/glenn-johnson-still-gigantic-waste-of.html#ixzz13HNFMn6d

Johnson is not a defensive full back, you surely all knew that when he was at Portsmouth. He bombs forward and is no where near the best defensively, but he is good attacking.

Yes, you did over pay for him, but you can't have a go at him for not being good enough defensively when it was well documented he wasn't good enough defensively before you bought him.

He was fantastic at Portsmouth and sadly hasn't found that form again for you, but given the right freedom in the right system, he is a fantastic full back.

Johnson is not a defensive full back, you surely all knew that when he was at Portsmouth. He bombs forward and is no where near the best defensively, but he is good attacking.

Yes, you did over pay for him, but you can't have a go at him for not being good enough defensively when it was well documented he wasn't good enough defensively before you bought him.

He was fantastic at Portsmouth and sadly hasn't found that form again for you, but given the right freedom in the right system, he is a fantastic full back.

Arbeloa is a better rounded full-back than him, and we sold him for £3 Million and bought Johnson for £18 Million. I'd rather have Arbeloa myself..

Back