Liverpool v Blackburn

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 105
  • Views Views 5K
Some comments being made in here really are atrocious.

Arbeloa is a better rounded full-back than him, and we sold him for £3 Million and bought Johnson for £18 Million. I'd rather have Arbeloa myself..

And Arbeloa's quite a bit more versatile than Johnson. Could you see Johnson as a left-back? Me neither.

Arbeloa is a better rounded full-back than him, and we sold him for £3 Million and bought Johnson for £18 Million. I'd rather have Arbeloa myself..
I know, I'm quite aware of that. I wasn't comparing Johnson to anyone really, I was just pointing out that fact that he is not a defensive full back, he is more of a wing back, therefore people can't expect him to be that great defensively, especially when it was very obvious he wasn't good defensively before he joined them.

It's a shame he joined Liverpool really, as his big price tag seems to of dragged him down in people's opinions. I think he'd be doing much better if he had stayed at Portsmouth for another season.

And Arbeloa's quite a bit more versatile than Johnson. Could you see Johnson as a left-back? Me neither.
Yeah I completely agree, Arbeloa is a lot more versatile and overall, definitely a better overall full back. But there isn't a comparison in attacking ability there, Johnson is far superior in that department, but sadly it doesn't suit Liverpool's current system so he's having to adapt, much like most of the Liverpool team.

I know, I'm quite aware of that. I wasn't comparing Johnson to anyone really, I was just pointing out that fact that he is not a defensive full back, he is more of a wing back, therefore people can't expect him to be that great defensively, especially when it was very obvious he wasn't good defensively before he joined them.

It's a shame he joined Liverpool really, as his big price tag seems to of dragged him down in people's opinions. I think he'd be doing much better if he had stayed at Portsmouth for another season.

Yeah I completely agree, Arbeloa is a lot more versatile and overall, definitely a better overall full back. But there isn't a comparison in attacking ability there, Johnson is far superior in that department, but sadly it doesn't suit Liverpool's current system so he's having to adapt, much like most of the Liverpool team.

I don't disagree with you at all, if we'd have paid £5 million for him, then it wouldn't be as bad, but the fact we spend a large proportion of our transfer budget on him is outrageous! And as that article points out, he's not even been that good attacking wise...

I don't disagree with you at all, if we'd have paid £5 million for him, then it wouldn't be as bad, but the fact we spend a large proportion of our transfer budget on him is outrageous! And as that article points out, he's not even been that good attacking wise...

We had to pay a large fee because he was the starting RB in team of the year. If not for 2 years in a row [ unsure].

Well of course, you have every right to be frustrated with his transfer fee looking at his performances. And yes, the article does point that out very well, but then it also points out his best ever season was at Portsmouth where he scored 3 goals and got 6 assists, another reason why Rafa Benitez terribly overpaid for Johnson. He is an attacking full back who should cost £10m, at most, but the fact he is relatively young and English means his price is stupidly high sadly.

Johnson is a great attacking full back in my opinion, his dribbling ability is quality and he's got a decent shot on him aswell, but his end product isn't good enough and that is his main downfall going forward.

We had to pay a large fee because he was the starting RB in team of the year. If not for 2 years in a row [ unsure].
And also probably due to the fact he was reasonably young, and English. English players price's are ridiculously high sometimes.

I got a feeling... Liverpool to lose it, 2 or 3 goals down.

1-1 i reckon

Pederson for Blackburn, Gerrard for Liverpool.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't 18 million.

I thought Liverpool only paid 7 Million for Johnson because Pompey owed them 10/11 Million for Crouch, so in context, the figure was 18 Million. Personally, I think Johnson would be much better on the right hand side of midfield and it's surprised me that none of his Manager's have ever tried this.

Come back Phillip Degen :P

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Apparently we just had a shot on target :)

We have a winner! Johnson didn't cost 18 mil as such. As Portsmouth owed us money still from the crouch transfer. Benitez knew he woouldnt get the money from pompey, so he signed a player. It wasnt 18 mil but it was still a sizeable chunk

I'm sorry but anything written by Kanwar (Liverpool-Kop) is utter bollocks. Don't ever visit his sites or listen to what he has to say.

Pompey owed us 11 Million from the Crouch deal. We paid them an extra 7 Million. 11 Million + 7 Million = 18 Million. We're absolutely all over Blackburn, been a couple of goal-line clearances, Robinson has made some great saves.

I thought Liverpool only paid 7 Million for Johnson because Pompey owed them 10/11 Million for Crouch, so in context, the figure was 18 Million. Personally, I think Johnson would be much better on the right hand side of midfield and it's surprised me that none of his Manager's have ever tried this.
He played there for a few games under Paul Hart at Pompey in the 2008/2009 season and was very good. He got the MoM award vs Bolton at home if I remember correctly, and only a brilliant few saves from Jaaskelainen (sp) stopped him from scoring.

Any streams? I really want to see how well we are playing.

We're actually playing well today, creating a fair few chances. Carragher is getting loads of space on the right wing, this wouldve been perfect for Johnson.

Back