Liverpool v West Brom

• Thread starter Thread starter Danny
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 55
  • Views Views 3K
Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson on the BBC: "Fernando (Torres) is fighting to be at his best and the goal will do him the power of good. This is a very good result. If West Brom play like that every week they will take points off a lot of teams." He also distances the club from a move for Ola Toivonen, saying: "He doesn't fit the profile of the type of player we want.

Oh well, there goes my Toivonen hopes. But who's on our radar then?

Pleases with the result. Looking forward to MOTD tonight as I couldn't listen as I was out for Sunday lunch. Delighted Torres has got off the mark, hopefully gain some more confidence in himself, after a poor string of games for both club and country.

At the end of the day you got the 3 points which is most important, I wouldnt worry to much about how you played lads.

I think how we play is very important. We're going to play much better sides than West Brom this season and struggling to get a 1-0 win means we're going to struggle against pretty much every other side. If we keep playing like that, of course.

Just got back, West Brom just looked like they wanted to win the game more than us, and were unlucky to not get something from it. Like all matches so far this year, our first half performance was awful, Lucas and Poulsen CANNOT play in the same team, and we really need some natural wingers, more than a striker

I think how we play is very important. We're going to play much better sides than West Brom this season and struggling to get a 1-0 win means we're going to struggle against pretty much every other side. If we keep playing like that, of course.
On the positive side, we got 3 points from a game we struggled to perform. And we'll probably be seeing Meireles and Cole play alongside Gerrard and Torres in the match after the Birmingham one. Hopefully, that'll give us the much needed confidence and creativity in the middle.

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

4-3-3 Anyone?
--------------------------------------Pepe Reina-------------------------------

--Glen Johnson----Jamie Carragher----Daniel Agger----Paul Konchesky--

-----------Steven Gerrard-----Raul Meireles-----Joe Cole------

-----Dirk Kuyt----------------Fernando Torres-------------Jovanovic---

Subs: Jones, Skrtel, Aurielio, Pacheco, Maxi, Babel, Lucas/Poulsen

Last edited:
Just got back, West Brom just looked like they wanted to win the game more than us, and were unlucky to not get something from it. Like all matches so far this year, our first half performance was awful, Lucas and Poulsen CANNOT play in the same team, and we really need some natural wingers, more than a striker

Now we've got Meireles, they won't - Lucas will be benched. Best place for him IMO. Did Fulham play like this last year ? It really isn't good enough for LFC. West Brom will be fighting relegation this season & a performance like this against an above average outfit will be punished. Totally underwhelming. :O

Jovanovic really isn't impressing me now, first game he was good, but now he looks like a headless chicken, runs,runs,runs, but nothing else.

Oh yeah of course, but what I meant is sometimes in these games against relegation teams, a scrappy 1-0 will do instead of a shock loss, correct? Of course in the bigger games you'd have to be very lucky to get anything out of the game if you play poorly again, but what I'm saying is in some games performance doesn't matter if you come out with all 3 points.

Little creativity going forward, inability to beak down ten/eleven behind the ball.

Defence sitting deep.

Goal on the counter.

Baggies were unlucky not to score (whether from penalty or from open play).

It's going to be a tough ride for Mr.Hodgson during this transition period. And even after it, there'll be questions about just what kind of football we'll be playing.

Little creativity going forward, inability to beak down ten/eleven behind the ball.

Defence sitting deep.

Goal on the counter.

Baggies were unlucky not to score (whether from penalty or from open play).

It's going to be a tough ride for Mr.Hodgson during this transition period. And even after it, there'll be questions about just what kind of football we'll be playing.
i dont understand his setup. genuine question, what type of style is he trying to achieve?

Got back around an hour ago from the game, even some little kid who was about 6 shouted: YOU'RE DOING ****. To liverpool.

Lucas and Poulsen are too negative and need to learn to pass forwards not sideways/ backwards.
Torres spent to much time flapping his arms because he spends most of his time rolling around like a *****, Johnson gave the ball away every single time.

Raul Mereiles is a good player and I just hope this signals the end of Lucas..

Also if Hodgson goes in for Carlton Cole it will make me believe he is ill and needs to go to the doctors, Hodgson could of easily said to Barcelona "5m+ Ibrahimovic and you can have Mascherano" there we have another proven striker and don't need to rely on Torres / N'Gog when Torres is injured - which happens all the time.

i dont understand his setup. genuine question, what type of style is he trying to achieve?

One of his comments was that the previous two managers had lost their jobs because they'd tried to play expansive football too soon.

I can't see us playing a high defensive line (both from Roy's pragmatic view of how to play - Hughes is hardly a proponent of all-out attack but Fulham are playing a much higher line this season - and also the lack of pace currently at central defence) and I think the football will be mainly on the break and risk averse. Think Ged's style of play might be closer to what he's aiming for rather than Rafa's (one can make arguments for and against both, but 08/09 season had some of the best football I've seen us play for a long time - especially as the relative freshness of the squad started to tell against other teams in the later part of the season).

Carlton Cole rumours are getting stronger again, which will be interesting. Especially if someone is going to West Ham as a makeweight in the deal (Babel or Lucas supposedly on offer, with reports of Lucas wanting to move down to London).

So a 4-2-3-1 maybe somewhat similar to how Rafa had us playing for tough European away days but one which comes from a 4-4-1-1 because the wingers aren't genuine wingers (if that makes sense) and so ends up playing like Ged's Liverpool.

At least for the next season, I can't see him risking moving beyond that. And in fairness, if he manages to convert some losses to draws and if he continues to get lucky on the counter, then the team may actually get results which will at least stabilise things on the pitch. Pragmatic Mr.Hodgson. He may get time if he gets results, but that kind of football won't be tolerated at Anfield as soon as the results tail off. Even now. :S

It was an okay match today.. not much happened. Made up for Nando though. Atmosphere was slightly better then usual in these premier league encounters.

We need another striker. The problem lies there only.
Babel, Kuyt, Jovanovic, N'Gog ... none of these are good enough to support or replace Torres when he is injured. Dani Pacheco still too young.
Hope someone comes in next 2 days.

Back