i had the same problem as many people. Editor does not seem to work for me. But my advice to any who wants to change the game is to download the real time editor and use that. Very easy to use and works instantly.

Wasnt aware there was another editor. However, if you use the data editor that comes with FM10 to look through sports interactive > football manager 2010 there is a config.xml file in there, and if you go on through to do editor data folder, there is another, so delete both using the data editor.
(thats how i managed to finally get my barca one to work)

Hey guys first time poster had the same problem as you guys. Just stumbled upon the solution for me. I use XPand not Steam and it seems the stupid editor creates and saves the file in the wrong place.
I have reloaded it a few times but I don't think that is the problem. I think the editor program saves them in a place the game doesn't recognise.
There are actually three config files I deleted one. (I don't know if you need to or not - probably not).

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Editor 2010
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Sports Interactive\Editor 2010\editor data
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\editor data

the last one
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\editor data
is where you copy your XMLs to from C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\editor data

It's probably Windows ridiculous root system to blame but I had three differently named XMLs and I shifted one to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\editor data
and shifted one to
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Sports Interactive\Editor 2010\editor data and left one in C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Editor 2010 then I loaded the game and the drop box finally appeared.

The only option was [default] but I ticked or unticked change ( I can't remember) and the next screen had Matt2 (the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\editor data version).

I hope that is a help because it was doing my head in. Enjoy.

when u are on the main screen...press ctrl-shift-n...that should then allow you to select which database you would like to choose...even if it just says default..select then load the next screen up which should have the saved database you have edited.. simple select that and then load as normal

i had this same problem. i deleted the editor and redownloaded it but kept the files. Went back on to the editor once downloaded and made a small file with like 1 change. when i went into fm it opened with all my other files .
Hopes this helps