I know this thread is a little old but...

This years fm is quite hard and I've had some tough careers. However one thing I'd say is it far better to experiment with your own tactics and do it yourself than just use others tactics. For a start no tactic can be truly plug and play as each tactic is somewhat tailored to a team and it's players as well as needing to be adjusted on a game by game basis.

im currently playing as Sheffield United in league one. After 18 games I was 16th and changed to a tactic to try and change my luck. I'm now wih 11 games to go top and have won 15 and drawn 3 in my last 18. It took a while to tinker my tactics and get the best out of my team but it feels a lot better now I've done it. My tactic anyway (may only work for better teams in the Lower leagues) is 4-2-3-1 with gk normal, full backs set to automatic, cbs set to cd defend. A ball winning cm defend, DLP defend. amr and aml wingers set to support, advanced playmaker set to support and an advanced forward. Fluid and control, high tempo, short passing and retain possession, close down, get stuck in, push higher up, stay wider and exploit the flanks with whipped crosses. This tactic moves the ball really fast and puts lot of crosses into the box so your striker needs to be good in the air. Defenders help contribute but also the cms defend to and help a bit in attack. The front 4 attack as a fluid unit and make lots of chances. Now my team is in form I get 60% possession plus and quite often opposition doesn't have a shot on target, try that out and see if it works

This post was very helpful. It got me playing the kind of football I had been trying to play but had never quite managed to get to work. Counter intuitively an AF seems to work better than a TM when it comes to headed goals in that area around the six yard box and Whipped Crosses seem to work better than Float Crosses.

One thing I did want to queery was on the defensive solidity of this tactic. It is pretty decent but could you bolster it by dropping back the DLP(d) into a DM position and play him as an Anchor man for that bit extra protection and then drop the AP(s) from his AM strata to sit alongside the BBM? So it would go from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-5-1 something like...

--------------------AF(a)----------------
W(s)--------------------------------W(s)
-------------AP(s)-----BWM(d)---------
-------------------A(d)------------------
LB(s)-----CD(d)------CD(d)------RB(s)

I realise you lose that late runner into the box to feed off the scraps but it might be handy for tricky away games. Any thoughts?