Mafia II

Jamees

Reaction score
Mafia II is upon us and ushering in a new era of wise guys and made men. If you've been waiting for this one, there is good news – the game is fun. Having shootouts in bars while bottles explode and glass flies, finding a mob hacking your friend to death, and going to brothels are all great times. Still, those moments aren't the entire game, and the accompanying parts hurt the whole.

Set in the fictional American city of Empire Bay in the '40s and '50s, Mafia II follows boyhood friends Vito Scaletta and Joe Barbaro as they enter the world of organised crime. This is a story of violence and power, politics and corruption, loyalty .

Im buying it today :wub:

Release date : US 24th augest UK 27th augest

I always preffered Godfather to Mafia but I think I may still buy Mafia as I have finished with GodFather 2

Might go buy this today with my Birthday money ^^)

Reviews

GameSpot - 8.5
IGN - 7
EuroGamer - 4

(All out of 10)

I find it hard to enjoy games that suffer with frame rates, screen tearing, bad camera angles and other graphic glitches. It looks like it's a game worth playing but I won't be buying, will borrow off a friend or rent one day.

Apparently it's v linear & the freedom to roam in the city is restricted, which is a shame - I was really looking forward to this one. I played the original to death - yes the missions were linear but you could go for a drive anywhere after a mission was completed & there was bags of atmos in the game.

If anyone is a fan of GTA they're going to be dissapointed.

Pre-ordered yesterday, should hopefully arrive in the next few days :D

Dount I am going to get it after seeing the reviews

Rented this today and started it - got to about Chapter 3 before having to go play MW2. Like it so far, the story line pulls you in and am eager to play more. Would only rent though, I suspect after a week it might get boring

Played the demo, and it looks quite good, doubt i'll buy it though as i'm short of cash and there's better games coming out soon....

Apparently it's v linear & the freedom to roam in the city is restricted, which is a shame - I was really looking forward to this one. I played the original to death - yes the missions were linear but you could go for a drive anywhere after a mission was completed & there was bags of atmos in the game.

If anyone is a fan of GTA they're going to be dissapointed.
More and more supposed 'open-world' games are gonna have sequels that are rather restricted. It's mainly due to hardware limitation. As the race for better graphics is high these days, the compensation has to come in the form of map constraints and linearity. Since it's still the same hardware it was 4 years ago, and there's only so much 'optimization' that can be done, the results of 'improved visuals' is, according to Crytek, creative constraints. Or in other words, downgrading of gameplay scope.

But hardly anybody complaints. Companies like Sony and Microsoft advertise their games as having "the best graphics ever", and fanboys lap it up like honey. No one pays attention to the slowly declining overall quality in games. They're all too busy arguing about which platform's exclusive has the best graphics, or which can come up with the most exclusive titles in a year.

Rented this today and started it - got to about Chapter 3 before having to go play MW2. Like it so far, the story line pulls you in and am eager to play more. Would only rent though, I suspect after a week it might get boring

I heard it tapers off badly toward the end - hope the missions bear some replaying.

R.I.P. Duncan The Great.

Last edited:
Enjoyed the Demo and thought the 1st one was great.Been waiting for thissecond one for a long time.

I got it yesterday, and i aint played it yet, but il have a look tonight and see, personally i dont mind if its a story based game, or open world/free roaming game, btw i had godfather which i loved but never brought godfather 2, its like £12 should i get it?

Edit: Just played it last night its awesome, if you get involved in the story, you wont really take notice of the whole lack of open world, i did chapter 3 last night i think, or am i starting 4 oO)

Last edited:
Played it and enjoyed it but its far too short and the lack of side missions is bad.

Graphics are nice and there are some really nice touches, i was impressed with the snow, very atmospheric game world too. The voice acting is some of the best ive heard, but like i say the game is way too short and once its over there is nothing else to drag you back in. There will be some DLC soon though so ill hang onto it for now. Definitely worth renting though. 7.5/10

i wasn't sure if i should get this or not i played the demo and thought it was good but after reading this thread its put me off a bit and to be honest id rather keep my money for fifa 11 fm 11 and the new cod