Magpies set to sign striker Kuqi

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Newcastle United are set to sign striker Shefki Kuqi to boost their attacking options.

More...

Great signing for them.

/sarcasm.

is this serious? half decent a few years ago but no way PL quality!

Pretty much a sort of replacement for Carroll. Gives them a physical presence and I think it'll be him and Best up top

Great post !!!!!thanks for useful post, I really nice and informative thread,,,,,
best regards
kajal,,

Haha, I predicted this on the IRC channel.

Is it really Kuqi or Cookie?

I am pretty sure it's the former, althought people will take it as Cookie, because of how it sounds.

Will be nothing more than a backup player. Nile Ranger and Shola Ameobi now have the chance to prove their worth.

I am pretty sure it's the former, althought people will take it as Cookie, because of how it sounds.

Will be nothing more than a backup player. Nile Ranger and Shola Ameobi now have the chance to prove their worth.

Ameobi is out for up to two months with a broken cheekbone. That's what's forced us into the free agent market. We've only got Lovenkrands and Ranger fit at the moment, although Best should be back very soon (withdrew from Ireland squad following Harper's elbow drop). Even our young strikers such as Airey and maybe Vuckic are injured.

Judging from the ever reliable youtube I don't think this is too bad a signing, at least he has a good physical presence and appears to have a good finish on him (when he does score). We need an extra body in the strikeforce, even if just to warm the bench and provide competition. From what I can find he's meant to be a good guy too, not a money grabbing **** out for himself and himself alone.

He's the sort of guy who could probably lift the morale in the dressing room. Not that bad of a buy I guess.

Absolutely ridiculous move. Surely Kuqi could do better than Newcastle. :p

Has now been confirmed.

Quote from Chronicle article

"We needed another option up-front, because we're a little light there due to the temporary loss of Shola, and Shefki will provide us with something different. He's match fit and knows the English game well having been in the country for the best part of 10 years. He is ready straight away and that's what we wanted. Shefki is a good, honest pro who will give us a strong physical presence from the bench."

Kuqi is a robust centre-forward and at 6ft 2in will offer Newcastle aerial options too. Born in Yugoslavia but capped 62 times for Finland, the big man has netted 150 goals in 500 games for his various clubs. Kuqi is also renowned for celebrating with in special style with a bellyflop earning him the nickname the Flying Finn.

Kuqi, who says he reluctantly left Swansea, said: "I feel strong and fit — I haven't missed many games in my career. I will keep going until I stop enjoying it and I stop believing I can help my team when I am on the pitch. I can't do anything to help them [Swansea] any more, but I hope they achieve their target this season. It was hard for me to sign the papers to say I would leave because I still feel I could have played a part, especially in certain games."

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newc...oins-up-with-newcastle-united-72703-28147695/

Last edited:
Don't really know how good he is in football, but I love his celebrations!