Making a Successful Forum

• Thread starter Thread starter *Paul*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 48
  • Views Views 3K

Would you CONSIDER joining? (Is one forum definitely enough for you?)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If it going to be a Football Manager Forum?
Yep, I have thought of an original idea of why the forum would be different - just need the content to be honest. And I may make a free one now, but then move to a paid one when I'm 18 and have money.

I'd go for 3 or 8.
Already chosen, the name, mate but thanks for your suggestion. I don't want to tell you which one I've chosen - yet - as I don't want anyone to find it (via Google, etc.) half finished.

By the way, does anyone know what this site is made with (host, type of forum - e.g. phpBB, Invision and code - PHP, HTML, phpBB)? If not, I may ask Sean.

Last edited:
Yep, I have thought of an original idea of why the forum would be different - just need the content to be honest. And I may make a free one now, but then move to a paid one when I'm 18 and have money.

Then, I see this being a waste of your time, in my opinion.

As you've said, you're not 18 yet, so don't have any/much money to put into it, therefor it'll just be like any other forum that someone like you has created, it'll probably reach around 20/30 members, will run for about 3/4 months and it'll die.

Considering the amount of very, very good Football Manager Forums are out there, and how long it's taken them to get to where they are now, once people have a decision between your forum and a forum like this, then the decision will probably be really easy.

Although, that is my opinion. And I wish you luck.

Are you not like 12?
13, nearing 14. If I start now, test it out - learn something in the process, and then when I'm 15-16 start making the proper one the proper one should be brilliant by the time I'm 18. This free one is basically a learning experience and fun challenge before I make my proper one.

As you've said, you're not 18 yet, so don't have any/much money to put into it, therefor it'll just be like any other forum that someone like you has created, it'll probably reach around 20/30 members, will run for about 3/4 months and it'll die.

Considering the amount of very, very good Football Manager Forums are out there, and how long it's taken them to get to where they are now, once people have a decision between your forum and a forum like this, then the decision will probably be really easy.

Thanks for the advice, but I'll try it out - read my reply to Shay Given. You've been helpful so thanks a lot anyway.

Paul in new FM forum shock. You'll be running out of forum names soon.

Website toolbox is a decent free forum host. It has easy customisable skins and some neat features. However its by no means perfect. To be fair it will be slow to take off. I set one up and it lasted about 2 months and the interest just fizzled out then.
I have heard good things about invision free.
I would focus more on general chat and real football matters as they are the most popular sub forums.
But good luck with it.
I have created 3 forums so far and only one is mildly sucessful but if you have any questions feel free to ask me.

I also wouldnt offer mod positions yet. Wait till people join and after the popularity goes up offer it to regular posters who behave themselves

Thanks for all your support and advice guys, but I have decided to stick with a free Zetaboards forum for the time being. After I finish making it (may be a while though) I will post a link on this thread and then allow members to apply via PM to be a Moderator (I will not be bribing people with Mod status!). Stay tuned, and keep posting advice, because I may need some testers before the forum is released to the public.

Locker Room
Around 40/50 members (I think) on this forum, with a fair amount of posts. It's a shame, but I don't like the host/domain. I may re-run this one, though, as I think it has a fair bit of potential.

Website toolbox is a decent free forum host. It has easy customisable skins and some neat features. However its by no means perfect. To be fair it will be slow to take off. I set one up and it lasted about 2 months and the interest just fizzled out then.
I have heard good things about invision free.
I would focus more on general chat and real football matters as they are the most popular sub forums.
But good luck with it.
I have created 3 forums so far and only one is mildly sucessful but if you have any questions feel free to ask me.

I also wouldnt offer mod positions yet. Wait till people join and after the popularity goes up offer it to regular posters who behave themselves
Cheers for the advice, mate, hope you will join once I open it!

Last edited:
Just thought I'd bump this, as I'm now allowed to spend a bit of money! :D

I've decided to spend it on the software rather than the hosting (I can get some money for Christmas for this). But I'm wondering...would you recommend Invision Power or vBulletin and why? Thanks.

Back