Swedish Cup Group Stage - Game 2 - Varnamo (Away)

View attachment 281596

Our atrocious finishing meant that changes were in order for the second match, against Värnamo, and Agon Mehmeti and Pawel Cibicki replaced Eriksson and Rosenberg leading the line. My decision looked like a masterstroke as Cibicki netted in 5 minutes, and then Ricardinho doubled our lead with an edge of the box free kick 10 minutes later. They pulled one back in the 41st minute but we closed out the half and sealed the points in the 45th, when Mehmeti scored our third. An uneventful second half followed, and I had my first win as manager of Malmö FF! This win takes us to second, and if we can beat first placed Brommapojkarna, we can hopefully progress on goal difference.
POM: Ricardinho (8.7, 1G, 1A)

Swedish Cup Group Stage - Game 3 - Brommapojkarna (Home)

Our final match was against our strongest opponents, and group leaders, Brommapojkarna. We controlled the game, and had Emil Forsberg to thank for the win. The left winger scored our first goal early and turned provider from the right wing later in the game for the second. In each of the matches, we were the dominant team, but I hold reservations about our finishing ability, as well as our ability to defend set pieces. This win qualified us for the quarter final stage of the cup, to be played in a few weeks time, where we have been drawn away to Djurgården, a fellow Premier Division side. In just over a weeks time, we have our first Premier Division match, where we hope to kick start our title defence when we travel to newly promoted Falkenberg.
POM: Emil Forsberg (8.7, 1G, 1A)

The rules! haha

This is all new to me too haha, this is what I've worked out :p
The season starts with the Swedish Cup, which has 8 groups of 4. The top team in each group progresses to the quarter finals, but once the group stage ends, the league season starts, so the cup knock out rounds are mid week, much like in the big leagues with the league and FA Cups.
Other rules I have discovered, during the match preview for my first league game, include the match day squad in the league must contain 9 (out of 18) home grown players! Triallists are also allowed to play league matches, but not cups.

Anything else you'd like me to check? :)

This is all new to me too haha, this is what I've worked out :p
The season starts with the Swedish Cup, which has 8 groups of 4. The top team in each group progresses to the quarter finals, but once the group stage ends, the league season starts, so the cup knock out rounds are mid week, much like in the big leagues with the league and FA Cups.
Other rules I have discovered, during the match preview for my first league game, include the match day squad in the league must contain 9 (out of 18) home grown players! Triallists are also allowed to play league matches, but not cups.

Anything else you'd like me to check? :)

No, that covers it! Makes sense now!

Awesome :) It's pretty different, I struggle with home grown rules even in England because I find foreign players so much more interesting :p so this could be challenging!

Yeah! "Barry Jones" at centre back isn't quite as appealing as "Alfonso Florez" hahaha

Swedish Premier Division - Game 1 - Falkenberg (Away)

We were narrow favourites for our first league match of the season against Falkenberg, and it was easy to see who was the better side. We completely controlled the match, but in the 19th minute, a goal kick bounced past our defenders and their striker latched onto it. A desperate tackle from Helander on the edge of the box was successful, but the ball sprayed out to their right wing, who had the net gaping, since our goalie, Robin Olsen, had charged the striker. 1-0.
The rest of the half was uneventful, as despite our control of possession, we failed to do anything with it or create any chances of note. We went into halftime 1-0 down.
The second half began, unfortunately, with a game-changer. Enock Adu received two yellow cards within 3 minutes of each other, and with 40 minutes still to play, was given his marching orders. The most frustrating part was that the second foul was an off the ball foul on the edge of our box, despite the ball being near the half way line and left touchline. The disappointing Eriksson made way for Moussi to debut, and shortly afterwards I hauled off both wingers to be replaced by Mehmeti and Possebon. Sadly, Johansson gave away a silly penalty and all of a sudden it was 2-0. Down to ten men, we still should have come back but Rosenberg fired wide twice and Mehmeti straight at the keeper when they really should have scored. All in all, a very disappointing day at the office. To cruelly remind me of what we seem to be missing, Djurgården (our quarter final opponents) won their game 4-1, with striker Amadou Jawo scoring all 4 goals!

POM: Anton Wede (Falkenberg - 8.7, 0G, 1A)
Best Malmö Players: Simon Thern/Filip Helander (7.0, 0G, 0A)

Tough start mate, must be hanging on Jovic to arrive to add some spark up front!

Tough start mate, must be hanging on Jovic to arrive to add some spark up front!

Not going to lie, he can't do any worse than these guys so he'd be starting even if he wasn't scoring, good for his development :p
I didn't even realise until I signed him that he wouldn't join until December :(

Not going to lie, he can't do any worse than these guys so he'd be starting even if he wasn't scoring, good for his development :p
I didn't even realise until I signed him that he wouldn't join until December :(

Always read the fine print mate, :p

Injury news:

Just before our next league match, I receive some bad news. Erik Johansson, one of my first choice centre backs, and the most senior of them at 25, is injured for 7-10 days. Youngsters Blomqvist and Hammar will have to step up in his absence.

Swedish Premier Division - Game 2 - Norrköping (Home)

View attachment 280998

Our next opponent was Norrköping, against whom we hoped to get back on track in our first home game. Right from the start we threatened, and Cibicki, in the side for Rosenberg, contentiously had a goal chalked off for offside in the 5th minute, and 8 minutes later, Mehmeti, in for Eriksson, hit the bar. This was followed 5 minutes later by Blomqvist doing the same. Finally, in the 36th minute, Cibicki opened our account by converting a Forsberg cross. In the 58th minute, Matthias Lepiller, having been on the field just a minute or two, won a penalty and stepped up to the spot, yet inexplicably struck it straight at the keeper. His quick pass in the 75th minute though, found Mehmeti, who found the net. First league win of the season! Hopefully this can kickstart a great run of form :)

POM: Agon Mehmeti (8.0, 1G, 0A)