Man Utd just ripped me apart with strange formation - please help recreate!!!

dave256

Reaction score
It was a 4312 formation using flat back 4, 3 CM's, 1 AMC and 2 strikers. I can't post screenshots and so I'll try describe. Was Falcao and VP up front (Falcao slightly more advanced on formation screen), Mata as AMC and then from left to right in midfield - Di Maria, Herrera and Rooney (Di Maria slightly advanced on formation screen)

From looking at the players preferred positions I would guess at Falcao being advanced forward (although he seemed to drop back a lot), VP as F9, Mata advanced playmaker/SS, Di Maria CM (a)/advanced playmaker, Herrera CM (d)/ deep lying playmaker, Rooney CM (s)/advanced playmaker (s)...with 2 wingbacks

The thing that was so impressive was that Rooney and Di Maria closed down the wings so well and Herrera was always there to sweep loose balls in midfield, but attacking they were so potent. The front 3 passed it around smoothly, with Rooney and Di Maria hanging back outside the box

Really was something quite incredible and I was 100% record up until then and now 3-0 down at half time against this Man Utd formation haha Also, I barely got near their goal as they won the ball so easily harassing my defence and midfield high up the pitch

If you was away, then it is quite normal, for me it seems beating MU Old Trafford is impossible, especially in the first season.

There was formation like this by Nezza and one in the hiddden gems thread from fmkorea.

They beat me 5-0 with 15 CCC's haha

The thing that's incredible is how defensively good it was. The 3 CM's just swallowed me up and then the wb's backed them up. Even if I tried to exploit the wings I barely got past the midfield all game. I'll see if I can find the Nezza tactic

Think I'm onto something. No screenshots or anything and so its just up to following the instructions but its pretty basic...

1 complete forward on support (shoot less often, close down more)
1 F9 (shoot less often, close down more)
1 attacking midfielder (attack) (shoot less often, more risky passes)
1 CM (attack) (shoot less often, tackle harder, dribble less, more risky passes, moves into channels, close down much more)
1 CM (defend) (preferably in the middle) (shoot less often)
1 CM (support) (shoot less often, tackle harder, move into channels, more risky passes, close down much more)
Wb's (auto) (shoot less often, dribbleless, close down more, tackle harder, fewer risky passes, stay wider)
1 CB (defend)
1 CB (stopper)

Team Instructions
pass into space, work ball into box, look for overlap, play narrower, drop deeper, high tempo

Be interested to see what people come up with. Seems fairly solid and my intention is to hassle and win the ball earlier, but would appreciate any hints to get some quicker passing around the edge of the box :)

Falcao on FM is virtually unstoppable, so it's really not surprising. :/

That tactic is also common in City, Real Madrid and other top teams.

What they do is very simple: they overload the mid with 6 players against your 2 CBs and your 2 MCs? So its 4 against 6!

They also have a lot of T-balls between the 2 strikers, right?

What you can do is getting a half back, low D-line, set aggressive tackling in all, put counter and explore the flanks.

Its not easy, but this is what helped me against those formations and im United!! :D

I have been working on something same ish for couple of weeks will post SS later.

I am working on a 4-3-1-2 tactic and I really hope I can release it today. It looks awesome atm.

This is what I got so far. Only played 2 friendlies won both 3-0.

Hey ToD. Man U seemed to play higher set strikers but any combo I used seemed to drag them away from midfield too much and not allow for a short passing game. Is that what you found also? The most impressive thing was the midfield and I think you might be right in the CM (centre) being a DLP. I'm playing with CM (defend) as I prefer the stability but will give the DLP a go. I don't feel the Man U team played with a BWM as it was Rooney and Di Maria, but I appreciate this is your formation. My results have been going ok but it's just not as blistering as what I saw Man U achieve against me

Hey ToD. Man U seemed to play higher set strikers but any combo I used seemed to drag them away from midfield too much and not allow for a short passing game. Is that what you found also? The most impressive thing was the midfield and I think you might be right in the CM (centre) being a DLP. I'm playing with CM (defend) as I prefer the stability but will give the DLP a go. I don't feel the Man U team played with a BWM as it was Rooney and Di Maria, but I appreciate this is your formation. My results have been going ok but it's just not as blistering as what I saw Man U achieve against me
Changed a couple of things, one of STR to ADV FOR and a few team instructions as was drawing a lot and has helped a bit. Gonna let get more fluid 1st till judge it more.