Could someone help me make a 442 diamond like united played??

Could someone help me make a 442 diamond like united played??

Depends which players you have in your game, but assuming you're bang up-to-date:

GK - De Gea
DR_Support - Rafael
DC_Defend - Blackett/Jones
DC_Defend - Evans/Smalling/Rojo
DL_Support - Rojo... or DL_Attack - Shaw
Anchor_Defend - Blind ...or Regista_Support - Carrick
Advanced Playmaker_Attack (in MC_Left) - Di Maria
Deep-Lying Playmaker_Support (in MC_Right) - Ander Herrera
Attacking Midfielder_Attack - Mata
False-9_Support (right) - Rooney
Advanced Forward_Attack (left) - van Persie

This is my take on how they set-up against QPR yesterday. You might try Herrera as a Box-to-Box, but I think he'll be effective as a DLP if you play the team level tactics I suggest below. I'm not so sure about Rooney but with an attacking No.10 you want someone up-front who is going to draw defenders out of position to make space, so I think that's probably what he was trying to do. Van Persie never really got into the game, but he is at his best in the inside left channel, shooting across goal - and the AF_Attack role on the left of the front two will enable him to do that. I don't know so much about Falcao, but I would probably use him as a Complete Forward_Attack with Rooney in a Support role alongside him.

Team mentality: CONTROL and FLUID - give yourself the option to switch to ATTACK and VERY FLUID when you need to chase a goal.

Team Instructions:

- Shorter Passing
- Retain Possession
- Work Ball Into Box
- Drill Crosses/Float Crosses - experiment, see what works best with your forwards
- Look For Overlap (when Luke Shaw is playing as Left Back_Attack)
- Run At Defence
- Push Higher Up
- Exploit The Flanks (I'm not sure about this one; the formation suggests a narrow attack, but the two forwards often split to provide width higher up; Rooney was wide left when Mata scored; experiment - maybe other FMers can suggest what to do here?)
- Hassle Opponents
- Get Stuck In
- High Tempo

Reserve Higher Tempo and Be More Expressive for when you need to quicken things up to get a goal back.

Player Instructions:

GK - Pass Shorter; Distribute To Defenders
DR/DL - Pass Shorter; Close Down More; Aim Crosses At Target Man
DC x 2 - Close Down More; Pass Shorter
DL_Attack - Pass Shorter; Close Down More; Get Further Forward; Cross More Often; Aim Crosses At Target Man
Anchor - Close Down More; Pass Shorter; Hold Position
DLP - More Direct Passes; Close Down More
AP - Dribble More; More Direct Passes; Get Further Forward
AM - Dribble More; More Risky Passes; Move Into Channels
F-9 - More Direct Passes; Hold Ball Up
AF/CF - Move Into Channels; Shorter Passes; Shoot More Often

(You may find that some of those instructions come automatically with that particular role)

Your keeper will play the ball out short from the back; the team will generally play short passes but Herrera, Mata and Rooney - dropping deep - will have licence to go more direct when the chance is on; Blind will be your steady Eddy at the base of midfield, rarely venturing far from the back four - providing assurance when Shaw forays forward down the left-hand side; Herrara can influence the attacking play from a relatively deep position, maintaining your team's shape, while Di Maria will carry the fight into the final third by running at the opposition from deep positions; this is important, because I have found in my own save that dribblers who collect the ball deep are better able to build-up momentum when they reach the opposition's back four, drawing them out of position to make a challenge and leaving themselves susceptible to through balls or being beaten by the dribbler himself - or giving up free-kicks in dangerous areas; Rooney dropping deep should provide space for Mata to exploit in the channels; More Risky Passes from Mata should serve van Persie, Rooney and/or Falcao well; as well as dropping deep, Rooney will also hit the front for crosses and through balls at times; van Persie should provide the main goal threat; when Falcao plays, he should be most effective working the channels and getting on the end of crosses.

I'd retrain Luke Shaw to operate in the M_L and AM_L positions, to give you additional tactical options, and also look at a 4-5-1/4-3-3 with Januzaj (AM_L_Attack) and Valencia (AM_R_Attack) on the wings, hitting the bylines to get crosses in for Falcao as CF_Support. This will be useful for squad rotation throughout your midfield and attack. Blind can operate as Regista or Anchor in the DM_C position, with Di Maria as AP_Attack in the MC_L and Michael Carrick/Ander Herrera at DLP_Support or Darren Fletcher as Ball-Winning Midfielder or Box-to-Box. In this formation, I would definitely Exploit The Flanks.

Think about setting up your set-pieces, too, to exploit your team's pace on the counter from defensive situations and to get the best long-range shooter hovering outside the box when attacking.

Just by-the-by, I totally understood the decision to let Vidic go, but knowing that van Gaal wants to play 3 at the back he must be kicking himself that that was allowed to happen. He's lost a yard or two of pace, for sure, but in a defensive three you can make allowances for that by putting a quick lad alongside him. His ability as a stopper - stepping out to go challenge for the ball - is sorely missing from the current line-up, and I don't think either Smalling, Jones or Evans (who I do rate, despite his recent clangers) have that particular quality. I don't know much about Rojo, though. Blackett still looks a bit wet behind the ears, to me.

Last edited:
Some of these tactics may I work with 14.1.4? Need a tactic as a team the caliber of United. Any suggestions?