Managing Dreams - My Journey Into the World of Football

Great win away against the undisputed leaders of the Conference. They very well as expected but missed all opportunities. Discipline was once again a problem for our side but at this point being handed "only" 3 yellow cards in a match is starting to look good as we often go over 6 for big matches like these.

Secured a loan from Liverpool, the lad looks like a decent goalkeeper.

Fantastic match for our boys against our usual punching bag Lincoln. I am not a fan of bragging but they really can't do anything against us, they had plenty of chances in those 3 games and yet they were wrecked every time. With this continue our advance in the FA Trophy.

The media is showering me and the team with compliments for our performance...this takes some getting used to but...it feel very nice and gives everyone some extra confidence to keep going.

I convince the board that I could a better license. I didn't ask before because quite frankly that is not something you ask for when you haven't even done anything for the team yet or have no reputation at all. Gotta think about my future though...

Once again we completely dominated a match and yet scored only once...its still worth 3 points I suppose but it gets very frustrating. I feel we're gonna lose an easy match one of these days if the boys don't improve their accuracy. We are now 3rd in the Conference.

Got a decent midfielder from Crewe, should help give us a nice late season boost to maintain our place on the table.

Once again everyone is commenting about the TERRIBLE quality of finishing. We got through though and remain victorious in the FA Trophy. Winning the Conference is extremely unlikely given how far ahead Gateshead is so this is my real chance of gaining some silverware.

Next we will play Macclesfield on the competition. They're doing well lately and should prove to be a decent challenge but I remain confident of a victory.

I KNEW IT! I F****** KNEW IT! Because of our absolutely atrocious finishing we suffered defeat at home in a game we completely dominated. And with this humiliation we drop to 4th place. After the game I made fury known to players and they seemed determined not to let it happen again...but at this point I am really not sure they are capable of doing better. They're nice lads but as players they leave a LOT to be desired. If we ever get promoted we are gonna need a whole new squad.

Meanwhile Gateshead is already building a whole new squad.

Last edited:
"a complicated orgy of violence" best match description ever!!! :)

I am glad my poetic flair does not go by unnoticed ;)

Nice start mate, Wrexham are my local team so this will be fun to follow, nice results and well written!

Its great to have a local aboard :D do correct me if I say something atrociously wrong about Wrexham btw. (Also I am reading your awesome story as Carragher but its gonna take a while for me to catch up)

You've really climbed the table with Wrexham, bud! Promotion is certainly on the cards.

Thanks! It certainly is now. The title is unlikely given how well Gateshead is doing but we can certainly fight for it in the play-offs

Given I live in Lincoln, and they are my home team, what you are doing to them is incredibly depressing. However, it's been a good read so far mate, I'll keep tabs on it when I can

Given I live in Lincoln, and they are my home team, what you are doing to them is incredibly depressing. However, it's been a good read so far mate, I'll keep tabs on it when I can

Ouch sorry about that friend. I've actually checked Lincoln's players to see what was wrong and they look just as good/bad as my own, so I really don't have a clue about why they are doing so bad against my team. I would blame it on the manager I guess :mad: Luckly they seem to have improved a bit recently and are escaping relegation.

(I really wasn't going to update today again but something ABSOLUTELY hilarious happened and I knew I had to share it here, enjoy!)
Excellent match against a very competent Macclesfield. Can't really complain about conceding three times because our opponents played very well, luckly for us our boys were itching for a victory and fought ferociously to achieve this great victory. Now were on the Semi-Finals of the FA Trophy against...

Torquay...****, I really hope the team performs better this time, we played so much better than they did and yet we failed, that cannot happen again.

A sweet beautiful victory. They held out on the first half only to COMPLETELY crumble on the second half. It was hard to be professional though when their player Dyer scored a horrendously hilarious own goal somehow. Seriously I could not take the match seriously after that point and had trouble with fits of laughter. I know I shouldn't and the referee gave me a dirty look but there was no way someone could remain serious after that.

(Check this out)

Last edited:
Well anything you say about Wrexham is wrong, they're my local Professional team (term used lightly) but the town is disgusting, horrible place to be from, luckily I'm not actually from there! :p

I am not disappointed because it was Barnet, so I'll just take the three points and move along. Besides I feel like all my complaints fall on deaf ears around here, the lads are amazed by how well we are doing and quickly forget any criticism.

Now THAT is a solid victory. They used their free kick well but we dominated the entire game and the final score did it justice. I wonder why we play so much better out of home...

Another great away match. With this we have avenged ourselves and pretty much guaranteed our place in the FA Trophy Final. Let us hope the team keep focused and motivated.

Lame. Just lame. Nothing else to say really, a throughly mediocre perfomance, with endless missed opportunities against of the weakest teams of the Conference.

Though I'd usually demand better this was a good win. The boys were complacent given the advantage we had from the first leg but still won and we are in the Final. I eagerly my chance to win the Trophy.

Last edited:
Once again it should've been much easier but at least we won. Three points gained and all of that...I am really tired though I feel like I am at the very limit of what I can achieve with a team like this. I definitely won't want to be around here for the next season ESPECIALLY if we achieve promotion. Still gotta keep going I won't be getting a better job if I don't finish the season with quality.

Wrexham youth...twice as depressing as the senior squad. Most of them aren't even fit to play 5 or 6 tiers below us in amateur teams. The others are could only ever hope to find a place in Conference North/South. We definitely won't be bringing any into the main team...EVER.

Another weak performance another victory. Not much to say here.

13 F***ING SHOTS TO ZERO!!! 13 ********* SHOTS TO ZERO!!! ZERO!!! F**k I need to relax after this match. So many wasted opportunities against an opponent that quite simply was not there. Its not like they even tried doing anything the entire game and we still did not score. We are still 2nd but a few more draws or a defeat could see us drop dramatically and lose our chance of promotion.

Better, so much better. Glad the boys managed to understand why I was so angry last match. This is what all of our matches against weaker teams should look like. Thank you once again Lincoln for disappointing your fans.

(Yup I am back, was a little busy the last few days but now I should be able to update regularly again)

Last edited:
(Longer update. I felt the moment deserved more than a "match summary. Enjoy! I apologise in advance for any bad grammar ;) )
View attachment 247662
The days before the match have been tense, we all know how much this means to the team and our supporters and we want to do our best...or well I do at least, the boys look so nervous that I am gonna have to check their health once its done. And to make things worse we have 3 players away on international duty including our life saving austrian goalkeeper...I am gonna need a break once the season is over. With all this stress I've aged more in this year alone than I did in the last 5 years.

My heart was racing, my mind completely focused on the game. I lived every second of it feeling the tension, movement and pace flowing through me. Nothing else mattered in the world in that moment, there was nothing else. My world was that match because that match meant the world to me. I shouted all the time rallying the players to keep fighting until the very last minute. The Racecourse Ground shook as players exhausted themselves on the field and legions of passionate supporters sang with endless energy. Energy that could be felt all around us, as real and tangible as the stadium around us. It could bee seen in the smile of every child and the worried frown of every supporter. In the music of the supporters and the symphony of the field and 23.000 beating hearts. It wasn't just some lower league cup for us. It was football, it was life.

And suddenly this seemingly endless dream ended with the sweetest I had ever heard. A whistle that announced our victory. We did it, we did it. For a moment I just stood there motionless, it seemed surreal. Was it really over ? Then I saw them, our players running towards me with jubilant smiles on their faces and even tears of joy. Moult hugged and the others soon followed. We jumped, we screamed and most of all we laughed. We laughed so hard it hurt but we didn't care. Pure unrestrained joy and adrenaline fueled us as we ran all around the stadium cheered on by ecstatic fans.

And in that moment any doubts and any stress vanished. Everything became a blur of happiness and festivity. The moments that followed seemed twice as surreal as the game itself had been. I felt as if I had no control over myself and just went along carried by a wave of glory.

In that moment I knew that I could never stop doing this.

Last edited:
It was a fantastic conquest for our team and for myself. People everywhere were hailing me as some sort of hero including the local media. It feels very strange yet...I could get used to it. Wouldn't hurt to have an easier life and some fame. And its also a lot easier to do this work when you see confidence in the eyes of people around you instead of suspicion.

My second manager of the month award. I don't wanna be too cocky but I can't help but feel I deserve it after all I've been through this month.

Decent match I suppose given that Alfreton played much better than we expected. So much that I actually happy with this tight victory and can't really blame our players this time.

We had a fantastic first half and an atrocious second half. I don't care anymore though we needed the points and we got them. Our place in the play-offs is secured...and perhaps even more interesting is the fact Gateshead haven't been doing so well lately. We are steadily closing the gap between us and their supporters are starting to get nervous. They were sure they had the title secured and now they worry about us.

I won't get my hopes up too much but I'll do what I can to fight for this unexpected opportunity.

Fantastic match! Liam Nolan was particularly delightful but all of the team did extremely well. Grimsby crumbled completely. Carrington is out for 3 to 4 months but...the benefit of managing a team with no stars is that everyone is replaceable. That may sound cruel but it is true. I wish I could use him but he is only slightly better than the alternatives. Elsewhere Gateshead get away with a draw and we are now points closer to them.

I could care about our perfomance and bad shots but I don't. We won and got three points. Points that we need for the title. I am satisfied and eager for more.

We won and they won. Gateshead of course. But no its not over yet, now that I am so close to the title I want it. I want it more than I've ever wanted anything in my life. Couldn't care less about the match itself.

This is it. If they win or get a draw against Barnet we lose. If we lose or get a draw they win. We can only have the title is we secure victory and they fail. Come on Barnet! You're third if anyone can do it besides us it is you! Screw whatever I may have said before I want to win.

The staff had gathered all of the team for a talk. Never had I felt that so much depended on me.The lads were a wreck of nerves ever since the last match. What I would now could very well guarantee our victory...or defeat. They needed inspiration and I had to provide it. I took a deep breath and spoke loud and clearly.

"When I got here no believed in us! We were dead last and quite frankly you were playing atrociously bad" they looked dejected but I proceeded

"But I didn't raise you up. I din't make YOU win. I simply made you believe in yourselves and work hard. Harder than anyone else in the damned Conference. And YOU did it. With your own work, your own football. And now here we and once more all that I ask of you is that you do what you've done so far. Believe in yourselves and work harder than anyone else. I do not ask of you that you win this title. We never expected this. None of us ever imagined being here this season."
They nodded

"And yet here we are! We proved everyone wrong! And while I don't expect you to give me title for it doesn't even depends on us alone I expect you to do your best and fight until the very last minute! If we lose it let us lose it like Dragons not rats! Believe in yourselves, work hard, fight and all will remember us as the best team! Think not of Gateshead but yourselves, do your best and the world will see it! You are heroes of Wrexham each and everyone of you and its time we prove it one more time! Are you with me ?!"

"Yes boss!!!"
they replied loudly and in unison with confidence

"Good! Now get to work! We still have a few days left before the match and I want everyone training"

(Sorry guys, obligatory cliffhanger end ;). Stay tuned for the decisive match in the next update.)

Last edited:
The match begins and we are on the offensive. Brister runs through the right side and attempts a cross which is intercepted and thrown out at least we got the corner now.

2 min - David October shoots but their defenders jump higher than us and throw the ball away...but wait October recovers it and makes a whipped cross towards their area and...Carrington jumps ahead of them and puts it in! Cries of joy surround and deafen us as we take our first step towards victory.

10 min - We continue to press but with no success

22 min - Counter attack, they run past us with surprising speed. Atiku shoots a powerful and precise shot but Bachmann manages to block it. Perfect timing from our austrian keeper. They attempt to recover the ball but fail.

23 min - I am informed by assistant that Gateshead is losing 2/0 against Barnet. My heart starts beating twice as fast and I yell out to encourage the players. They make a very bold and well executed attack which unfortunately fails.

45 min - End of the first half. Gateshead are still losing and we are winning. The players are absolutely overjoyed but I tell them not to lose focus as we cannot afford a draw. Victory must be maintained at all costs.

59 min - We are under pressure. Telford really wants to deny us the title and gain at least one point. They make a dangerous attack and we take a whole minute to get the ball off our area only for it to come back. Luckly one of their players commits a foul interrupting the game. I take a deep breath and tell the players to focus and do better.

92 min - Already 2 min over the f***ing limit and yet the game isn't over. They make one absolutely terrifying attack that becomes twice as terrifying once learn that Gateshead has scored once and is pressing Barnet hard. Atiku makes a powerful cross to one of their players but thankfuly we are awarded a free kick.

Bachman shoots and its over 1-0 we ignore everything and immediately hurry to watch the last minute of the Gateshead game. They lose...THEY LOSE!!! WE WON!!! WE WON!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Congrats on the title mate, & the FA Trophy! Well done!

Congrats on the title mate, & the FA Trophy! Well done!

Thanks Lippo! I kinda expected the Trophy, but the Conference seemed absolutely impossible. Gateshead was always 20 points ahead until the very last few games of the season were they went on a 5-6 games series of losses. And even then if they got a draw or won this last game against Barnet we would have lost the title.

It was easily my most satisfying title victory on FM ever.

They lose.. THEY LOSE!!! WE WON!!! Haha you deserved it, congrats!

Everyone around me was extraordinarily happy and so was I but...I also knew my time here in Wrexham was about to end. The board quickly offered to renew my contract with better conditions but I needed to leave and take the next step in my career. Still I had to prepare the club for the future before I left...and I wouldn't mind celebrating just a little bit longer.

We were the only big surprise at the top positions though Torquay did better than expected. Meanwhile Chester, Nuneaton, Southport and Aldershot were relegated.

My third MoM award. I certainly earned it this time. Though apparently I am not among the favorite contenders for Manager of the Season...I have absolutely no idea of how that is supposed to make sense.

Both Gateshead and Barnet were eliminated in the play-offs in what must've been a very disappointing moment for their supporters. Especially for our fellow title contenders.

Torquay wins and gets promoted. I have to say I am impressed, they were one of the few sides who beat us too and now they will join Wrexham in League 2.

October is named Player of the Season. He did extraordinarily well in most matches and really deserved this award. I am however preparing for the future and have hired 8 new players (mostly free transfers) for the team as it will face much thougher opposition next season and I want it to succeed even if I am not around anymore.

The next step to making Wrexham stronger was to improve its youth facilities, raise its coaching budget and find a new senior affiliate. We managed to do all of that and while I would've preferred a partner bigger than Sheffield Wednesday the relationship may still prove to be extremely useful for a team like ours.

With my preparations for the future complete my job here in Wrexham was done. With a little bit of luck this promotion and the work I did here would be the spark that would make the Red Dragons fly higher than ever before. But it was also time for me to fly higher and look for new challenges and glories elsewhere.

Last edited:
Mate just caught up with this - its fantastic!! Good luck with the next chapter in your journey!!

Mate just caught up with this - its fantastic!! Good luck with the next chapter in your journey!!

Thank Yeti! Glad you've enjoyed it so far. Hopefully I can do well elsewhere and strengthen my reputation.
Over 60 jobs are availiable at the moment lol

Cant wait to see where you end up!

Plenty of offers I'm sure.

View attachment 247196

Managing Dreams: Interlude

I really wasn't in a hurry to find another job and yet I sent applications to numerous teams on the same day I resigned. Why? Because despite of my conquests in the Conference I hadn't even finished up my coaching course to get a National B License. Therefore many would spurn me simply for the lack of a piece of paper that proves absolutely nothing at all.

Some of the teams were very interesting but I was pretty sure I'd be rejected by 95% of them. And I was right, not to mention that they often take a tremendously long time to answer. I offered myself to jobs in:

Austria: Wacker Innsbruck
Turkey: Trabzonspor, Bursaspor, Gaziantepspor, Konyaspor
France: AC Ajaccio, AC Arles-Avignon, ESTAC Troyes, Stade Brestois 29, Valenciennes FC
Spain: Tenerife, Las Palmas, Valladolid
Russia: Amkar Perm, Tom Tomsk, Shinnik Yaroslavl, Ufa
Switzerland:FC Sion, Servette FC, FC Schaffhausen
Italy: Siena, Empoli, Palermo
Germany: St Pauli, FC Union Berlin, FSV Frankfurt, SC Paderborn 07, Cottbus, VfR Aalen, FC Ingolstadt 04
England: Leicester
Denmark: Aab, Randers FC
Brazil: Santa Cruz
Chile: Deportes Iquique

View attachment 247195
View attachment 247194

Those 4 were the only ones who even bothered interviewing me. Most of the other dismissed me immediately and some said they were "interested" only to ignore me and hire somebody else without even giving me a chance to speak. Still I am grateful some teams at least listened to me. Yes I know I am young and new to the job but come on how many did what I did at my age and in their first year of managing ? At least hear me out.

View attachment 247191
Meanwhile as a month and a half passed Wrexham hired the reputable manager and ex-player Paul Ince to replace me. I hope he does a good job as I've pretty much set everything in place there for an absolutely fantastic season. In fact even the media recognises this and expects the team to finish in 8th place despite being just promoted. Meanwhile Torquay is one of the favorites for relegation.

All other interviews failed because of different opnions on how to manage a team. (AKA Stupid boards that understand nothing about modern football). Therefore...

View attachment 247184
I accept even though I can't speak anything in German, French or Italian. This is gonna be so awkward but at least I am very good at learning new languages. Meanwhile someone will have to translate everything for me. I don't care though. The wage is absolutely fantastic and I get the chance to manage at the second football league of Switzerland which is a gigantic step from the Conference in both reputation and visibility. Time to shine again with another underdog team trying to avoid relegation. Switzerland here I go.

Last edited: