Manchester City $$ Eclipsed?

HibernianBoy

Reaction score
It has been well documented and often brought up in arguements of the spending power that a certain club named Manchester City have. Yet, as of current, despite Man City having a strong team, I feel perhaps 3 bargains this season have eclipsed Man Cities big money players.

Man Utd - Javier Hernandez (Chicarito)
Arsenal - Marouane Chamakh
Tottenham - Raffael van der Vaart

Now as an Arsenal MCh may be slightly biased, but I do feel the above 3 players have performed better (or atleast to the same standard) as Man Cities expensive transfers. People's thoughts and/or opinions.

I'll be honest, I'm not entirely sure the point in this thread but I will say this- Manchester City have 5 of the 10 highest paid players in the league in their squad [Chelsea have 2, United 2, Liverpool 1] surely them not winning the league can only be seen as a waste of money?

Personally I think City have bought players in an attempt to become a bigger club rather than to actually compete for a trophy, I know it may sound stupid but it wouldn't surprise me if they were focusing more on being a worldwide brand and getting the headlines than they are on actually competing.

The season's no where near over yet so I think it's too early to tell, however I agree that the three you listed certainly have more of a value for money factor than the man city players already

Am I the only one that thinks Chamakh isn't as good as everyone makes out?

He probably wouldn't make the Arsenal team if RVP was fit. I'd say Van Der Vaart has been the best so far closely followed Hernandez. I'm sure that Hatem Ben Arfa would be up there if he didn't get injured.

Chamakhs done **** all but score against **** teams. Way to premature to judge Hernandez. VDV is the only one I'll give you.

He probably wouldn't make the Arsenal team if RVP was fit. I'd say Van Der Vaart has been the best so far closely followed Hernandez. I'm sure that Hatem Ben Arfa would be up there if he didn't get injured.

Spot on.

Naa you're not the only one, admittedly I think he's a bit over-rated and that RVP is far better

I also think Chamakh is a bit ****.

Chamakh is alright but he's not a goalscorer, and I think Arsenal need an out and out goalscoring striker tbh.

Max i think Carlos Vela is an out and out finisher

no?

Max i think Carlos Vela is an out and out finisher

no?

Maybe he is, but obviously doesn't do it enough to merit a start.

I haven't seen anything from him to make me think he is a good player.

To be fair, he isn't a bad player, but he's not as good as a lot of people made it. He been quite impressive in the air and chipped in the odd goal, he's good enough but not quality.

Firstly the point of this thread is to get views and opinions on where Man City have spent money and if its better sometimes even as a rich club to look for bargains.

As for Chamakh he is a tad overated and wouldnt keep RvP out, but currently RvP seems to be injury prone and Chamakh can certainly hold they play up pretty well, not a great finisher but certainly could link the play between more natural goalscorers eg. Nasri, Fabregas, Arshavin even Wilshere now.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RapHTrqMPFQ"]YouTube - Carlos Vela hat trick Arsenal vs Sheffield United[/ame]

:wub:

Maybe he is, but obviously doesn't do it enough to merit a start.

To be fair, he isn't a bad player, but he's not as good as a lot of people made it. He been quite impressive in the air and chipped in the odd goal, he's good enough but not quality.
He's good but not RVP good, but RVP when fit is one of the finest players in the world, hard to beat that.

Too early to say about the money, remember come late season they have top class players to come off the bench

I think Chamakh could play better and he has no pressure on him as came on free transfer so he should, in theory, doing better VDV is surely, so far, imo, bargain and coup of the season. but it's still to early.

I think Chamakh has been a really good signing. For free, and apparently on £40k a week, I don't see anything wrong with him.

Of course he is not an out an out goalscorer, but I don't think scoring goals is really our biggest problem.

Last edited: