Manchester City $$ Eclipsed?

You cannot judge a player until the end of the season. Many come to England form abroad, from a different style of play, different culture, different climate and different language, and they need to adapt to all of these. Some may take a few weeks, some a few months.
So far the best signings have been -

Rafael van der Vaart - been on lethal form, showing world class.
Chicarito - had to score the goals to cover for Roo, and done it.
Moussa Dembele - Started brightly at Fulham.
Marouane Chamakh - may not have been awe-inspiring, but has done a job, and has looked goo thus far.

Ask me again in May, and it wouldn't surprise me if three of the four I mentioned were different.

I think the best players were VDV, J. Hernandez and Ben Arfa.

Chamakh wasn't brought in to be an out and out goalscorer. He was signed to give us a targetman in the box but also for his ability to hold up the ball and play other people in.

He has been doing his task to near-perfection imo.

Chamakh wasn't brought in to be an out and out goalscorer. He was signed to give us a targetman in the box but also for his ability to hold up the ball and play other people in.

He has been doing his task to near-perfection imo.

6 goals in 8/9 games isn't exactly bad.. don't understand the criticism for him, think he's been pretty good tbh. Obviously RVP is class though, but basically just what Frankie said..

Very nice hat-trick, but against Sheff Utd :/

To be fair, those finishes would have beaten a lot of keepers.. He chipped Schwarzer at the Emirates last season, the first is also a class finish, right in the corner, as was the third, the only question is their defence.

EDIT:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZEAoezTu3M"]Vela vs Fulham[/ame]

Last edited:
To be fair, those finishes would have beaten a lot of keepers.. He chipped Schwarzer at the Emirates last season, the first is also a class finish, right in the corner, as was the third, the only question is their defence.

Yeah, thats what I'm saying, the first two were quality finishes, but I doubt he would have gotten the time or chance to have them against better defences, that is all.

ON TOPIC THEN:

The problem with City its not the players, its the manager.

Last edited:
its a bit early to juadge them all, at the end of the season we will have a better idea of how well they've done.

David Silva has started playing well so i think people's opinion of him will be a lot better even by xmas. Balotelli has bearly played due to injury so can'y judge him at all yet but i think once he's had a few games he will be immense.

Hernandez had done good when called upon and it he keeps scoring he'll keep playing and his confidence will just go up.

Chamakh for me hasn't done a lot concidering he starts almost every game - he looks decent in the air, suspect with the ball at his feet - but as a striker he'll be judged on goals and he's got a decent amount already. there isn't so much pressure on chamakh at the moment because arsenal scoring goals anyway, especially Nasri

VDV has been incredible but like the rest will be should be judged at the end of the season, this could just be a purple patch. imo the signing of the season so far

Peter Odemwingie has looked good, would be nice if he can make his form last the whole season but i,m not so sure

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

people only talk about Chamahk right now wich kinda makes me mad, because the real god in Arsenal, the guy who should be called a ******* legend and would rape any team.... is called:

YouTube - Robin van Persie • Arsenal • Compilation • NEW |HD|

Not the stupid Fabregas, wanting to play for Barca and ending up being KILLED by Mourinho.

RVP will always be a LEGEND in the history of the EPL and he costed less then any of those guys in the list ;)

well after seeing that video, RVP has to be the signing of the season. no doubt about it

unless of course you strayed off topic to ********** over one of your best players

people only talk about Chamahk right now wich kinda makes me mad, because the real god in Arsenal, the guy who should be called a ******* legend and would rape any team.... is called:

Not the stupid Fabregas, wanting to play for Barca and ending up being KILLED by Mourinho.

RVP will always be a LEGEND in the history of the EPL and he costed less then any of those guys in the list ;)

Thats not relevant to the question he brought up.

Manchester City's spending power in the pre-season transfer window has been equally justified by their performance in the league.

They have an array of players who, clearly, have the ability to challenge for major titles and continental trophies. The talent is there. What isn't there is a blend and co-operation within the squad. Sure, you have the likes of De Jong, Milner, Barry, Johnson, Silva, Tevez, Adebayor (etc.) but they have not all gelled into the squad. The player who, I reckon, has settled in the most, is Tevez. And even he is considering to quit football altogether.

It will take, I think, another season for them to start growing out of this shell that they are in. They may reach the final rounds of the Europa League, probably as far as the final and then finish around 3rd/4th place but it will only be next season when they have actually all played a full 38 games together in the season that they will be able to give Chelsea and United a run for their money.

I am not defending City for their large spending spree, but what I am trying to put across is that success doesn't come overnight. Many Chelsea fans will know that for sure. And it has been justified by the way that City are starting to look shaky - even against the smaller teams.

what has this got to with the topic? stay on point

well after seeing that video, RVP has to be the signing of the season. no doubt about it

unless of course you strayed off topic to ********** over one of your best players

How can he be the best signing of the season if hes in Arsenal since 2004-2005 :O?

How can he be the best signing of the season if hes in Arsenal since 2004-2005 :O?
that was my point... you were off topic.

its like me saying "i dont care rooney signed a new contract, have a look at Cantona's best goals"

Don't see why everyone is having a pop at Chamakh. He was brought in to give Arsenal a Plan B if their passing game isn't working, not to score week in week out. He's doing his job well at the moment, running the channels, holding up play, and generally working hard for the team. Can't do much more than that. He's not a typical Arsenal player but offers them something different. I wouldn't go as far as putting him in the best signing's so far but early signs are positive that's for sure.

I rate Chamakh, and I'm a supposedly biased Tottenham supporter.

Chamakh, although not world class, had brought a different dimension to Arsenal's attacks and is definitely a good signing. The only complain I would have for him is his shooting. XD

And you guys are missing someone out - TITUS BRAMBLE! This guy had been immense thus far for Sunderland, even had Tevez in his pocket during the City game, definitely worth more than his transfer fee (1m). TBH, he haven't been his error-prone self for like two whole seasons already, so I think he is finally a solid centreback.