Manchester City v Tottenham Hotspur

• Thread starter Thread starter Kylo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 158
  • Views Views 8K

Kylo

MAAAATTT DAMMOONNNNNN
Reaction score
Match preview, predictions and live scores for the 4th place decider at Eastlands, Manchester City v Tottenham Hotspur. Kick off is at 20:00PM.

_______

Latest Scoreline

Manchester City 0 - 1 Tottenham Hotspur
Peter Crouch 82nd minute.

FULL TIME.
SPURS ARE IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE.
CITY HAVE BALLSED IT UP, NOT FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS SEASON.
sorry, angry.
_______

Match Preview

It's D-Day for Manchester City and Tottenham as a 38-game Premier League season effectively comes down to this one showdown at Eastlands.

Victory for either would almost guarantee them fourth place in the Premier League and a lucrative spot in next season's Champions League.

Just one point separates current incumbents Spurs from City, so this is a must-win game for both clubs at a vital point in the season.

City warmed up for this massive game with a 3-1 victory over Aston Villa on Saturday which ended the sixth-placed Midlands club's hopes of fourth spot.

Their attacking trio of Carlos Tevez, Emmanuel Adebayor and Craig Bellamy were all on the mark as City followed up a meek goalless draw with Arsenal and derby defeat to Manchester United in successive weekends with a performance to silence their doubters.

Immediately afterwards, manager Roberto Mancini set his sights on Spurs and it is no surprise with rumours continuing to circle that his stay at Eastlands will last just half a season should he fail to secure Champions League football for an ambitious board.

Veteran midfielder Patrick Vieira produced his best performance since joining in January and the former Arsenal skipper will be hoping to put one over Tottenham on Wednesday night.
However, Mancini is fighting the tide of a lengthy injury list with the likes of Shay Given (shoulder), Joleon Lescott (hamstring) and Martin Petrov (knee) all out and England midfielder Gareth Barry struggling to shake off a hamstring problem.

Tottenham also have a major injury concern of their own ahead of the trip to Manchester as number one goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes picked up a worrying groin knock in the closing stages of Saturday's 1-0 victory over Bolton Wanderers.

Youngster Ben Alnwick may have to be thrown into the fray of Spurs' biggest game in years should the Brazilian not recover in time.

Spurs though will certainly arrive in good form having defeated Arsenal and league leaders Chelsea before losing 3-1 at Manchester United ten days ago.

Most pundits had written off the chances of Harry Redknapp's side emerging from a horrendous run of fixtures still in the running for fourth place so confidence is certainly high at White Hart Lane.

Niko Kranjcar (ankle), Jonathan Woodgate (groin) and Carlo Cudicini (broken wrist) all definitely miss out with season-ending injuries while Vedran Corluka is a doubt with a sprained ankle.

Tottenham were comfortable 3-0 winners earlier in the season after two goals from Kranjcar and Jermain Defoe separated the sides in mid-December.

The defeat at White Hart Lane was also the final straw for the City board as they sacked Mark Hughes as manager just three days later - with rumours of impending firing coming during the following 4-3 home win over Sunderland.

Spurs won both encounters between these two clubs by 2-1 scorelines last season, while both won their home game by the same margin during the 2007-08 campaign.

In fact 2-1 seems to be a popular scoreline with seven of the last 12 encounters ending that way.

Preview text- http://sportbox.tv/football/news/story.php?id=3080237

________

Team Lineups

Manchester City Line Up

Fulop
Zabaleta
Bridge
Toure
Kompany
De Jong
Barry
Johnson
Bellamy
Adebayor
Tevez

Tottenham Line Up

Gomes
Kaboul
Assou Ekotto
Dawson
King
Huddlestone
Modric
Lennon
Bale
Defoe
Crouch
________

Other Information

Head-to-head

• Tottenham have won 11 of the last 12 meetings between the sides in all competitions, and 10 of the last 11 in the Premier League.

• City's only league win against Spurs in the last seven years was the 2-1 home victory in March 2008. City's scorers that day were Stephen Ireland and Nedum Onuoha

Manchester City

• City have lost just six Premier League games this season. They have never lost fewer than seven top flight games in a season.

• City have only won three of their last six home matches in the Premier League.

• City's top scorer Carlos Tevez, who could make his 100th Premier League start, needs one more goal to bring up his half century in the Premier League.

Tottenham

• Tottenham have won eight of their last 10 league games and scored in all of the last 10.

• Spurs have won just two of their eight away games in the Premier League since Christmas - at Stoke and Wigan.

• Spurs have won all 17 league games in which they have led at half-time.

Harry Rednkapp said:
I'm sure it will feel like a cup final with the atmosphere - it's so important, that fourth place

LEADING GOALSCORERS

Manchester City

_47650277_tevez5855.jpg

Tevez: 29 goals (23 league); Adebayor: 14 goals (14 league)

Tottenham

_47634001_defoe5855.jpg

Defoe: 24 goals (18 league); Crouch: 12 goals (7 league)

MATCH OFFICIALS

Referee: Steve Bennett
Assistant referees: Jake Collin & Martin Yerby
Fourth official: Lee Probert

LAST LEAGUE MATCH LINE-UPS

Man City (W3-1 v Aston Villa, h): Fulop, Zabaleta, Toure, Kompany, Bridge, Adam Johnson (Wright-Phillips 77), De Jong, Vieira, Bellamy, Adebayor, Tevez (Richards 88). Subs not used: Nielsen, Onuoha, Santa Cruz, Garrido, Sylvinho.

Tottenham (W1-0 v Bolton, h): Kaboul, Dawson, King, Assou-Ekotto, Bentley (Lennon 73), Huddlestone, Modric, Bale, Pavlyuchenko (Gudjohnsen 87), Defoe (Crouch 72). Subs not used: Alnwick, Jenas, Palacios, Bassong.
_______

THIS THREAD WILL BE UPDATED WITH TEAM NEWS, LINEUPS AND SCORELINES BY ME.

Last edited:
City 2-2 Spurs
City: Adebayor, Kolo Toure
Spurs: Bale, Pav

BBC said:
• Tottenham have won 11 of the last 12 meetings between the sides in all competitions, and 10 of the last 11 in the Premier League.
• City's only league win against Spurs in the last seven years was the 2-1 home victory in March 2008. City's scorers that day were Stephen Ireland and Nedum Onuoha.

...I'm gonna go with the Lilywhite. Hope they win and think they will!

Last edited:
Man City 2-2 Spurs - Tevez x2, Defoe and Modric.

• City of Manchester Stadium, Manchester, England.

2066_450.jpg

The final battle for 4th place. With Liverpool and Aston Villa out of Champions League, this will be a decissive match for the last place in Champions League. Tonight we'll see if Man City spendings were worthy or if Tottenham finally gets in Champions League after some big spendings.
This match may march Man City history and changing of Tottenham Hotspur.
Pressure is extremly high on both teams, as if one does wrong, it will be hard to draw level again.

Lastest news

• Man City
Midfielder Gareth Barry is set to return after recovering from a hamstring injury.
--------------------------------------------
Injured: M Johnson & Petrov (both knee), Given (shoulder), Gonzalez (groin), Lescott (hamstring).

• Tottenham Hotspur
Tottenham have goalkeeper worries with Heurelho Gomes facing a fitness test on his groin problem.
--------------------------------------------
Doubtful: Gomes (groin), King (knee)
Injured: Corluka & Kranjcar (both ankle), Cudicini (broken wrists), Woodgate (groin).

Match Facts

Head-to-head

• City's only league win against Spurs in the last seven years was the 2-1 home victory in March 2008. City's scorers that day were Stephen Ireland and Nedum Onuoha.

Manchester City

• City have lost just six Premier League games this season. They have never lost fewer than seven top flight games in a season.

• City have only won three of their last six home matches in the Premier League.
  • City's top scorer Carlos Tevez, who could make his 100th Premier League start, needs one more goal to bring up his half century in the Premier League.

Tottenham Hotspur

• Tottenham have won eight of their last 10 league games and scored in all of the last 10.
  • Spurs have won just two of their eight away games in the Premier League since Christmas - at Stoke and Wigan.

• Spurs have won all 17 league games in which they have led at half-time.

Leading Goalscorers

Manchester City

• Tevez (23 goals)

• Adebayor (14 goals)

Tottenham Hotspur
Defoe (18 goals)
_47634001_defoe5855.jpg

Crouch (7 goals)

Sorry about the thread Frutty, thanks for sharing your information.

I was really rushing to get this thread up because I'm going to be concentrating on this game all night! I'm thinking Manchester City 3 - 2 Tottenham.

I'll get the lineups and other information as soon as they come out.

Should be an amazing game.

I wish Spurs are winning, if we do, I will get drunkkkkkkk, else if we lose Champions League place, I am gonna kill myself. :(

Thinking about it, it could be quite a quiet game, as even though City need a win, Spurs do not so they may just want to sit back and hold out for a draw.

Thinking about it, it could be quite a quiet game, as even though City need a win, Spurs do not so they may just want to sit back and hold out for a draw.
i dont think it will be quiet. even if spurs dont go forward, city will have to anyway, so unless spurs wanna try and withstand an attack for 90 minutes they'll have to offer something. how open this game depends on city, since the ouns is on them they'll be setting the tempo.

Manchester City 1 - 3 Spurs
Tevez
--------
Defoe
Defoe
Crouch

Spurs to win. Pleeeeeeeeaaaassssse god. After Lasganegate this is the best chance we have and probably will do again for a long time as City will go out and start buying the top players as from next season. We have a chance of third as well if we win tonight and win against Burnley and hopefully Fulham can beat Arsenal.

Was already a thread so please search in future, but may aswell keep this one now I guess.

I hope City win. :)

I'd rather Spurs get in the top 4 as it would delay City's rise to the top.
Hopefully it will be a good match.

City 2 - 4 Spurs
Tevez, Toure
Defoe x2, Pav, Modric

Was already a thread so please search in future, but may aswell keep this one now I guess.

I hope City win. :)

Oh yeah, sorry about that Max, I searched a few things but didn't search 'Man City v Tottenham'. Thanks for letting this one stay though, put some extra information on the thread. (A)

Anyway, I can't see Tottenham holding a clean sheet without Gomes, there is bound to be some goals! :)

Back