Manchester United have become stronger since Cristiano Ronaldo left

19-11-08

loves anderson
Reaction score
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/21/wayne-rooney-cristiano-ronaldo-manchester-united
What do you think?:p

I know it sounds a bit stupid but the only way statistically we are worse than last season with him is goals conceded, which is hardly down to ronaldo leaving.:$

We've already surpassed last seasons goal tally with 7 games left and with the team averaging a bit above 2 goals a game this season we will probably exceed the goals scored in the season where ronaldo scored the 42 goals, 31 in the league.

We also have a better goal difference.|)

A lot will depend on what we win though, even if we score more this season it will mean nothing if we end up winning only the carling cup.<)

United have become stronger since Rooney has been given a bigger role.

i don't think we've got better since ronaldo left, its just gave rooney a bigger role to play in the team also just saw on ssn that ribery is apparently ready to leave bayern and join utd probably bs but im keepin fingers crossed (yn)

That is rather fascinating tbh. Doesn't seem like we've scored more goals, but I guess that season he was probably the only person scoring for us whereas this season the goals are more spread out between the squad (apart from Rooney getting 32 this season) everyone seems to chipping in.

Rooney having a bigger role is largely due to ronaldo leaving though. :$

i don't think we've got better since ronaldo left, its just gave rooney a bigger role to play in the team also just saw on ssn that ribery is apparently ready to leave bayern and join utd probably bs but im keepin fingers crossed (yn)

Don't want Ribery, he'd be poor in England. Not physical enough and incosistent. I'd rather get Joe Cole on a free, but that is just my opinion.

Bullshit, in my opinion hes become worse, still badarse but worse

Think you have missed the point of the thread.:p

It's about whether Manchester united have become better not ronaldo.oO)

I assume you are talking about ronaldo.:p Be a bit wierd to refer to a club as a he.XD

Don't want Ribery, he'd be poor in England. Not physical enough and incosistent. I'd rather get Joe Cole on a free, but that is just my opinion.

i dno haven't really seen ribery play that much but well find out how good he is when they play against us n yh joe cole for free would be a good signing

Ronaldo was never a team player so to speak; the others are far better when it comes to cooperation, but that's just my subjective view.

To be fair this actually surprised me, as soon as I found out he had moved (Halfway through a history lesson) I automatically thought they'd struggle more this year. I think that although he hasn't scored in anyway like Ronaldo, Valencia's move has really spurred them on. Nobody expected him to do well as the media would always be pulling out the Ronaldo replacement card. I think all in all he has excelled under the pressure, fair play to him.

To be fair this actually surprised me, as soon as I found out he had moved (Halfway through a history lesson) I automatically thought they'd struggle more this year. I think that although he hasn't scored in anyway like Ronaldo, Valencia's move has really spurred them on. Nobody expected him to do well as the media would always be pulling out the Ronaldo replacement card. I think all in all he has excelled under the pressure, fair play to him.

I agree, but despite his excellent season so far, I think that the £16M we paid for him was still way over the odds, but that is my opinion.

He was 16 million?! :O

To be fair that leaves you with another 64 million ;)

I agree, but despite his excellent season so far, I think that the £16M we paid for him was still way over the odds, but that is my opinion.
not really, its a fair whack, but there arent many other wingers you could get for 16 million and have that impact down the right.

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

i dno haven't really seen ribery play that much but well find out how good he is when they play against us n yh joe cole for free would be a good signing
actually, for bayern robben has been the better of the two wingers, hes outshone ribery all season. while ribery has been injured, or talked about moving, robben settled in and has been taking teams apart

not really, its a fair whack, but there arent many other wingers you could get for 16 million and have that impact down the right.

actually, for bayern robben has been the better of the two wingers, hes outshone ribery all season. while ribery has been injured, or talked about moving, robben settled in and has been taking teams apart

I still think that £16M at the time was very over priced. In my opinion, £8-9M would have been adequate.

ronaldo hasnt got any worse, its just that real madrid team doesnt work for each other the same way united do, for all their worth they still play like a bunch of individuals, and there still friction among players, notably ronaldo and higuain

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

I still think that £16M at the time was very over priced. In my opinion, £8-9M would have been adequate.
there is no way that wigan would have sold him for 8 million.

Last edited:
ronaldo hasnt got any worse, its just that real madrid team doesnt work for each other the same way united do, for all their worth they still play like a bunch of individuals, and there still friction among players, notably ronaldo and higuain

[COLOR=#00e0]---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------[/COLOR]

there is no way that wigan would have sold him for 16 million.

Well they did

Because after he left every player in the club has to step up their game, and no one thought we're able to do that. But we did just that. Rooney finally got the attention he deserved, Park Ji Sung grew more lungs (I think he has 6 of them), Fletcher is chipping in the assists, Evra had developed into arguably the best left back in the world, Valencia is justifying his price tag with his fine play, Nani is finally showing the world why was so much faith put into him by SAF (sometimes), age seems to be just some random number to Ryan Giggs, Berbatov is making everyone better etc.