Manchester United- the next generation.

Reaction score
6th July 2011
SKY SPORTS NEWS

In a press conference earlier today, Sir Alex Ferguson has announced that he will step down as manager of Manchester United and retire from football with immediate effect. He said: 'I am so proud of what I have achieved, what we, as a club have achieved, during my 25-year tenure as manager of Manchester United. I am so proud of how many medals we have won together, how many great teams we have built, how many great memories that everyone connected with Manchester United football club have to cherish.

'Everybody in the world has greatness in them, but with the task of achieving it and making it happen, comes great effort, dedication and time. At 70 years of age, I felt that I no-longer had it in me to continue to do justice to what this club deserves, and so will be handing the helm over to younger hands.

'I like to think, that over the past 25 years, I have created a legacy at this club, a family. It's always sad when anybody leaves a family. But know this- Manchester United will always be great. No matter how much money City have, no matter how many times we will be written off by the press, no matter how great a challenge comes our way- Manchester United will always be great. And that's something that we all can be proud of.'

And, without another glance at the flashing cameras desparately trying to capture his expressions, without a second look at the journalists, perplexed, barking unanswered questions at him, without waiting for David Gill to officially conclude the meeting, he left the room.

Hi everyone- this is the story for my Man Utd save- basically im aiming to gradually introduce the next bunch of youngsters into the team, such as pogba, morrison etc into the team as well as buying a few youngsters on the cheap and molding them into a team that can beat Manchester city- a team that can go out and buy virtually anyone. probs my most challenging long-term fm game because of city's spending power but im well up for it.

Hi all- I wondered if anyone had any advice on how best to develop players, particularly youngsters with training. I don't tend to bother with training schedules type stuff but if there are any that have worked for you give us a rough idea. Also, do you reckon it tends to work loaning players out- I've normally just played them for some of the dead rubber games with the first team which has worked but it's not ideal if you're competing for the premiership and a couple of other trophies towards the end of the season.

Let us know if u've got any feedback/questions/stuff to discuss so far. Another update on the way. Cheers

I find the best way is too loan them out, getting a good feeder club in a top competitive division like Holland is a great thing to have, plus maybe a championship one. With other players having them in your first team but availible to the reserves

6th July 2011
Old Trafford

David Gill walked into the room greeted by a buzz of anticipation from the journalists, who were eager to find out who the new manager of Manchester United would be, taking the reigns from Sir Alex Ferguson, who had announced his resignation just a few hours earlier. As the applause began to die down, Gill took a sip of his water, and began to speak:

'I understand that a few of our fans will be dissappointed at losing, arguably the greatest manager in football history- it looked like he would be with the club forever. Indeed, there were times when I couldn't imagine Manchester United without him. I'm sure many of you felt the same way. Therefore, I say it with a heavy heart that the next manager of this great club, has been planned long in advance by Sir Alex, myself and the rest of the board. Having been the youngest-ever captain in our 1999 treble winning team, forming an exceptional defensive partnership with Jaap Stam, we decided to give the managers job, to club legend: Gabriel Sutton.'

Gabriel walked onto the stage to gasps of surprise from the journalists, who were touting the likes of Carlo Ancelotti, Mike Phelan and Roy Keane to take over.

'We felt that Gabriel's ambitions for the club matched our own, and as he is still a young manager, we feel that this is very much a long-term project for the club. In the next few years, a lot of emphasis will be placed on building a team for the future- we have limited finances, meaning also that we can only afford to give him £17 million this summer, but we feel that Gabriel has the credentials to become a top, top manager, and we will look forward to working with him. Gabriel, over to you.'

Thanking David, he took a gulp of water and pointed to the first journalist.

"David Hall, FourFourTwo. Good morning, Gabriel. First of all, congratulations on being appointed, what are your and the board's targets for this season?"

"To win the title. I think that's always the aim for any club with the infrastructure that we have here. It won't be easy, particularly with the spending power teams that Manchester City and Chelsea have- if Arsenal can have more strength in depth they might put a decent title bid in as well. For the Champions League, it will be incredibly difficult- I could name about ten teams that will give us a very difficult game, particularly in the latter stages- I'm hoping to gain a significant lead at the top of the table by the time we get to the latter stages so that we can rotate. Whilst I won't become too concerned about the domestic cups, one of our aims this season is to help get some of our younger players, such as Ben Amos, Ravel Morrison and Paul Pogba amongst others some first team football. The Carling and FA Cup, and also games in the Champions League group stage where we can rotate, will definately help us to achieve that."

"Dan Walker, BBC Sport. How involved do you intend to be with the players, personally and in training?"

"I'm looking to be very involved. From my own experience players tend to respond best when they feel part of something special at a club, where people care about the team, and for one another. On the other hand, I won't have any quams getting rid of players who try to exploit that kind of atmosphere. To play for a club as big as this, you need, not only exceptional talent, but also the desire to work hard and be very committed to the cause. My two demands of each player who plays for me, are that they turn up fully prepared for training on time, every day, and that whenever they play, they give the team 100% commitment. If they won't give me that, then they can expect to hold a very brief relationship with me."

"Ian Prior, the Guardian sport. What style of football can we expect to see under the new regime?"

"Well, I've always appreciated teams who play good football- maybe with the exception of Arsenal! So I think we'll try and play some attractive football, possession style with a patient tempo when the opposition are in position, and I like us to play with a bit of pace on the counter attack- particularly when playing away from home. I genuinely don't think that playing good football and winning trophies are mutually exclusive. Who says we can't pass the ball around well and have a sturdy defence? As far as I'm concerned, entertaining football is one of the highest priorities for the club under my leadership- the fans pay the best part of £800 for a season ticket, the very least they deserve is to enjoy watching the game."

"Steve Bartram, Manchester United website editor. What kind of transfer policy are you looking to implement in the window, are there any specific players you have in mind?"

"Because we don't have the financial clout that teams like Chelsea and, certainly Manchester City have, I think we will need to take quite a shrewd approach. I'll mainly be looking to get a few talented youngsters into the club and build for the future. I have to get my transfers right, it's not always easy telling how good a kid can be in five or ten years time- it will be difficult to judge, and I will need to get it right- which is why my scouting team will be heavily utilised. In terms of individual players I'm looking at, I would prefer not to say, I will need to take a lot of time looking at players and judging their potential, before making a definate decision."

"Andy Lyons, When Saturday Comes. What do you say to fans who are slightly dissappointed at your appointment, looking for more experience in management?"

"I think that they're entitled to their opinions. I respect that. The one thing that I would ask of them, is to give me enough time to prove myself. I'm still a young manager, I'm still learning, and I'll make mistakes. I'm not perfect. But I ask that you show support for myself, support for the players and support for the club. We have an incredibly difficult task ahead of us to contain the continous threats posed by Manchester City because of the ridiculous spending power that they have, let alone Chelsea. And the next couple may require us to maybe take one step back in terms of blooding the youngster earlier, but in doing so we can take two or three steps forward in 5 years time. We just need to be patient, but I truly believe that together we can stop Manchester City and continue those traditions of success from where Alex Ferguson left us that this club deserves."

David Gill interjected: "Right, that's the time up, there will be no more question. Thanks everyone for coming, and I think everyone associated with Manchester United can look forward to a new, exciting era in the club's history."

With that, Gabriel left the stage full of excitement and anticipation, waiting to greet his new team.

Hi everyone-
With only £17 mil starting transfer budget ive decided to use this window to give the
squad a few of the most talented youngsters that will compliment the current crop.

With an offer already for Mbaye Niang, these are my current targets. Note that I won't be signing all of them:

Kyriakos Papadopoulos- before his market values soars, and won't demand too high wages.
Erick Torres- signed him in the past and he's scored a few + has pace.
Carlos Fierro- cheaper than Torres but will take longer to actually add something to the team.
Felipe Anderson- hoping to add some long-term samba flair, alongside 'regular' Anderson.
Emre Can- trying to look for the next Roy Keane type of player in defensive midfield- not so keen
on Fletcher as he gets sent off a lot. Actually, maybe I'm not looking for the next Roy Keane.
Nathan Redmond- being a Blues fan I'd like to sign him, but is probably not good enough.

Any thoughts anyone?

Hi everyone-
With only £17 mil starting transfer budget ive decided to use this window to give the
squad a few of the most talented youngsters that will compliment the current crop.

With an offer already for Mbaye Niang, these are my current targets. Note that I won't be signing all of them:

Kyriakos Papadopoulos- before his market values soars, and won't demand too high wages.
Erick Torres- signed him in the past and he's scored a few + has pace.
Carlos Fierro- cheaper than Torres but will take longer to actually add something to the team.
Felipe Anderson- hoping to add some long-term samba flair, alongside 'regular' Anderson.
Emre Can- trying to look for the next Roy Keane type of player in defensive midfield- not so keen
on Fletcher as he gets sent off a lot. Actually, maybe I'm not looking for the next Roy Keane.
Nathan Redmond- being a Blues fan I'd like to sign him, but is probably not good enough.

Any thoughts anyone?

They all turn out to be good olayers, someones like redmond is good cos hes a fantastic squad player in a few years with not too high wages, + they all have re-sale value

Erick Torres is a definite, i would also give yaya sanogo a bid, he turns out excellent. Other youngsters i have found that turn out good are Lucas Digne, Adryan, Sime Vrsaljko maybe Raheem Sterling?

get ravel morrison back or do you have old patch also adam campbell is beast as a right winger eventhough he is a striker and he was awesome for me without even training him and also this is great can't wait for update of your games

@ollie- will check how much redmond costs but scout said 2+ haf star potential.
@alex- cheers was tipping towards fierro over torres- i wont need them both as ill already have niang and welbeck as backup strikers. will check out digne + sterling, didnt realise adryan was that good, with vrsaljko ive already got smalling + rafael for long-term rightbacks, i reckon if i wanted to buy another they would need to be more experienced imo.
@pompey- yeah ravel morrison ive got, looking to get him out on loan for most of this season. not heard much of adam campbell (is he newcastle?), i remember he's got some pace so will check him out.

cheers for the advice everyone.

8th July 2011
Carrington Training Ground

Gabriel got up at 5am that morning, he was very keen to get to the training centre early every day, to set a good example to the players. Scribbling his wife a note, he got dressed, had a quick bowl of Alpen and made for his car with the more of a sense of nerves, excitement and anticipation for meeting everyone than he had ever had since he agreed to take the job.

He felt strange driving through a silent Greater Manchester. When driving across the City, he was used to the sound of car horns angrily beeping, drilled roadworks, the fuming engines of hundreds of cars and lorries and buses at 9 in the morning. This felt different. It was a weird feeling for Gabriel, he took a sip of his coffee from the drinks container- was this actually happening? The only other time he could remember things feeling this surreal, this fake, was when Manchester United won the European Cup on that incredible night in Barcelona in 99. He felt as though he was dreaming.

Mentally telling himself to get a grip, he took another sip of coffee and began preparing what he would say to the players when he first met everybody. 'They need to feel like they belong to something big, something special', 'there has to be a sense of passion within the team', 'I'll try to re-emphasize the importance of working hard, and keep up that never-say-die spirit at the club'. Having decided roughly what he was going to say, he pulled up at the gates, waved hello to the security guard and found his reserved spot in the car park. As he walked through the shiney, automatic doors, he suddenly felt that burst of confidence. He deserved this. He had been captain of the club for about five years, he was a 1st team coach under Sir Alex Ferguson for a long time, the fans were going to love him. It wasn't like he was a nobody. What was he so worried about?

He received a welcome from the secretary, and walked into Sir Alex's old office. Having felt so confident and assured of himself a few moments ago, everything about the office somehow reminded Gabriel how much he had to live up to to manage a club like Manchester United. In Fergie's old room lay shelves upon shelves of dossiers of every team that Manchester United had played under him, looking at every minute detail of tactics, set pieces, players to mark, weaknesses. There were big, fat folders labelled: 'effects of team talks', 'tactic ideas', 'transfer targets', some of which had spilled random bits of paper which had fallen on the floor and been trodden on. Getting used to the feel of Sir Alex's massive swivel chair, he suddenly noticed a file cabinet labelled: 'player reports'. This would be too interesting to miss out on. Having found the letter 'S', he flicked past Saha, Scholes, Sheringham, Silvestre, Solskjaer... Stam... Sutton. These dossiers on all the players he had ever managed lay hidden away.

Deciding to look at the minute details Ferguson written about him for every season later, he spotted a quick summary paragraph on him for the first season Gabriel had played under him at 16:

'Gabriel is, probably one of the most talented young players I've ever had the pleasure of managing. Eric Harrison has reported to me from the academy that this kid is the complete defender, has excellent leadership skills as captain of the youth team. From what I've seen of him, it's early days in his career but I think he can break into the first team if I can get Steve Bruce to take Gabriel under his wing- must remember to talk to him tommorrow morning. I'm very excited by this lad, I think he has a very exciting career in prospect. Something tells me that he will make a great defender, a great captain and a great manager someday.'

Whilst caught up in the feeling of pride that a manager like Alex Ferguson would think that of him, he was oblivious to the fact that his secretary was standing behind him. "Gabriel, your backroom staff are here to see you."

Hi all- hope you liked that update, comments/feedback much appreciated. This thread is kind of gunna be more on the personal side of things, more of a story than results/tactics/transfers type info. Let us know what you think, or have any players you reckon i should sign. cheers

Back