Manchester United- the next generation.

lol giggsles. cheers glad everyone likes it! just about to read ur next manchester city update! cheers

Sunday 28th August 2011

Dear diary,

I'm feeling mixed about my start as manager of Manchester United. We were unconvincing in our two wins and draw of the Norway tour, which surprised me after we beat Antwerp 5-0. But I suppose pre-season is mainly about getting the fitness of the players back.

We then had an entertaining Community Shield game against Manchester City three weeks ago. Going 2-0 behind and seeing Tevez miss a penalty in the first half hardly filled me with promise, but I think the goal from Berba just before half-time lifted everyone a bit. We absolutely battered them in the second half but weren't clinical enough to make the chances pay, until Nani scored an absolute screamer with ten minutes to go. I was delighted with that goal, but I wasn't sure whether to keep the momentum up and continue to attack or settle for penalties. In the end I decided I was lucky to be in that position after being 2 down and so decided to leave it to penalties. Darren Fletcher and Ashley Young missed, with Man City scoring all theirs; and we lost.

So then you can imagine what happened. The papers were all over me: 'Uncertain Sutton', 'Sutton: can he fill Fergie's boots?', 'United's reign at the top coming to an end?' It was absolute rubbish. And I was delighted we could prove them wrong with a 4-0 win over Blackburn Rovers on the opening day. 'Sutton: United's new hero'. Although I was disappointed that we weren't clinical enough with our chances (particularly from Nani) in the first 45 minutes, we got two goals right before the break from Carrick and Berbatov. Hernandez confirmed the result with a composed finish from de Gea's ball over the top. His pace proved crucial. Nani then redeemed himself for his earlier misses with a well-timed goal late on to put as top of the table.

After that win, I was disappointed to see us draw at Everton, as I was hoping to get maximum points from August, although it turned out to be more of a point gained as Ryan Giggs scored an injury time leveller to cancel out Jack Rodwell's peach of a strike earlier on. Not a great result, but we showed some trademark United qualities by keeping going to the end and snatching a point against a tough Everton side who probably deserved to win- not a disaster either.

We also showed similar qualities beating Aston Villa at home the next week. We played quite poorly in the first half and I was relieved when Vidic scored from Young's corner. I was pretty angry with the team when we conceded straight after the break- exCity defender Richard Dunne scored. I had to get the team attacking after that goal- we needed to win the game, and, after a lot of chances coming to no avail, Hernandez again made an impact with his pacey turn and fierce, drilled shot past Brad Guzan.

On the whole, I would say that it's been a 6/10 month for the club, when you consider that this is still early in my reign as manager. Yes it's disappointing to lose to our local rivals but penalty shootouts are a bit of a lottery, drawing with Everton wasn't a good result and it will take time for the tactics to settle within the team and hopefully the good performances will flow. I'm also happy to have picked up a few stars of the future in Yaya Sanogo and Mbaye Niang, Carlos Fierro coming in next summer. These players will hopefully be the future strike partners at the club. I've also managed to sign Sime Vrsaljko and Emre Can. Ravel Morrison, Paul Pogba and Ben Amos have gone out on loan for first team football, and I'm hoping to integrate them with the youngsters I've signed when they return. If I'm given the funds in January or next summer I'm hoping to sign Luis Guillherme, who was the best goalkeeper in the U20 World Cup in Columbia this summer (he conceded 2 goals in 7 games!), also Gerard Deulofeu, Mateo Kovacic and Giuseppe Prestia amongst others.

Although it's not been a great start in terms of performances, we are still joint-top of the league and if these are the results we are getting when we are not playing so well and struggling to adjust, I'd love to see the results we get when we're playing at our peak.

Gabriel

It's really good mate but I feel this last update was a rushed one. You whizz through the month and we don't know how your manager feel's or anything you should slow it down open it up and get your characters a little bit more involved. How does Nani feel? Etc Etc. I'll be using more in my upcoming updates.

yeah i probably agree mate, but its just cause i hadnt posted for a while and stuff wanted to update people i guess, but yeah in future i will look to be more personal.

cool, its just gets people, feeling for your charaters. Not a gripe or anything mate, cos its a good story.

cheers mate- im so glad you like it. unfortunately i rage quit the game, but will start a new one soon. appreciate the support :)

Back