Status
Not open for further replies.

Ride The Walrus

A pretty cool guy.
Reaction score
From planetfootball.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mancini - Rivals are scared

Roberto Mancini has told the other title hopefuls to accept that another Manchester City will be vying for top spot this season.

Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenalhave dominated the Premier League in recent years, with Liverpool also established in a 'big four' until Tottenham's breakthrough last term.

Spurs pipped Manchester City for the final UEFA Champions Leagueplace but it is Mancini'smen who are expected to mount a strong challenge for glory over the forthcoming campaign.

The Italian, who took charge at Eastlands last December, has spent huge amounts of money strengthening his squad this summer and the recruitment drive shows no sign of abating.

The other top clubs have been comparatively quiet in the transfer window and Mancini believes they are now 'putting pressure' on City because they are fearful.

He said: "Are they scared? I think so. At the moment only Manchester City are buying players.

"But that is normal because Manchester City want to improve and the other teams are just big teams who would like a lot of people.

"All the other teams are trying to put pressure on us because for 10 years there were only four teams challenging for the title.

Big opportunity

"This year, there are five. I think all these teams over the years have spent a lot of money.

"Manchester United, Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool but now City do. There isn't a difference."

Mancini is confident that City can push on from their achievements of last season and take the title this term.

He said: "We have a big opportunity to win the league if we believe in ourselves and do our jobs. We have improved as a team.

"It depends if we can put together a team in the short time available. In my experience, I know after the World Cup in every country there can be a different situation in the league.

"If you remember a few years ago Manchester City were in the Championship, then it is clear every year we must improve.

"Last year, we fought for fourth place until the penultimate game against Tottenham - the aim this year is to try to win the Premier League. That must be our target."
_____
I can assure you Mr. Mancini, we're not. ;)

I just hate to say this but what he says it partly true,Man City will mount a strong challenge for the Title definetly but it comes down on Mancini's Tactics and Player Management.The other Top clubs are not buying players cause they already have good ones idiot :)

I think City's league position next year will reflect on how "scared" the othre clubs are. The likes of Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool dont need to spend heavily because they have quality players already they might not be big names but they certainly do the job

Funny how he says that now, but last season we did the double over City and finished 3 places below them. In theory, the bottom half shouldn't be scared of them if they are title contenders.. 8-)

Sorry for bringing my msn into this :P

I said the other day that Man City will dominate if they sign a couple of world class CB's. Everytime they are linked with someone it is always a striker or a midfielder. You have to build from the back.

You can have all the worlds best players in midfield and attack but it wont win you many trophies if you are conceding at the other end.

City are spending to reach other big team's level. We dont need to spend as we are clearly better than them. They have signed whom we can consider as Mini Galacticos/FM legends. Nothing to worry about it. City are the team to watch during July and August and after that they wont be making any headlines till Jan again.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

"Manchester United, Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool but now City do. There isn't a difference."

There is a big difference in United, Arsenal, Liverpool spending. We are spending our Money, if you dont know what it means, Money generated by Club not some sugar dady's money.

When you took over, you said finishing in top 4 is not our aim but to win the league. We all know what happened.

im not scared but looking forward to the game as much as games against man utd, arsenal etc.

If I am going to tell the truth, I am worried. With the money they are spending they will win something soon and that does scare me. City winning something, never thought I would see the day.

Manchester City's owners are taking advantage of the fact that three of the biggest clubs in the country are currently not able to spend as they please (Arsenal because of stadium debt, Manchester United and Liverpool because of feckwitted owners bleeding the clubs dry), while the former nouveau riche team is now at the stage where major investment is needed once again to sustain things.

Good timing for City's owners. Hope their fans enjoy the success (no offence City fans - but why are the buses advertising season tickets? do you guys not fill out the new stadium even after all the spending?) because they've had some real hard times and stuck with their team. But here's hoping your owners don't eventually get bored and leave you to foot the bill ;)

i personly think they could over do it. i know people will pipe me up on this because im a chelsea fan i know but dont forget we had a leader like mourinho. i just think they are doing too much well i hope they are doing too much.

I predicted they will finish 2nd this season, and 1st the season after.

As for being scared of them... I don't fear teams that lose to the same teams that we beat/draw with in pre-season.

I can't see City playing comfortably against the likes of United, Liverpool etc. And I do not think any side are scared of them, the pressure is purely on Mancini and City this year, he has his job to play for in what can really be seen as a Madrid situation, poor results = sack = start all over again. So if anything he should be scared of us.

Man City for the title, no way! Mancini is so overrated, last season he didn't even get 4th! He is a **** manager and they have a **** team but good players. I think they'll be 3rd/4th.

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

Also, it's always paper talk 'We'll win the league' from them and then they fail epic-ly on the pitch :P

get real Mancini, it is going to take a **** of a lot more than a few big name signings for people to get "scared" of your lot. City will be lucky to finish 4th this season purely and simply because they havent got a defence.

The rest of the division aren't scared, merely sickened - City's outrageous transfer strategy is totally destabalizing the premiership & frankly making a mockery of the competitiveness of the league. Mid to lower rank teams are being turned into cannon-fodder for the big spenders & the bigger clubs will foster an unsavoury resentment toward City, possibly resulting into an overtly ' physical ' approach to their players on the pitch.

Opposing fans in paticular, may turn resentment toward them into something v ugly - a return to the bad old days of crowd violence ?

All this is pure speculation on my part - but envy & jealousy seldom show a pleasant face. Man City by their irresponsible spend, spend, spend policy are painting a target on themselves, in my view. All teams would like cash to spend on new players for the upcoming season, but City's vulgar ' buy top players in bulk even though we've already got more top players than we know what to do with ' strategy is alienating everybody outside of the blue half of manchester ( who follow football ).

There's now a squad limit of 25 players isn't there? All thats going to happen is star players won't play every week and will get fed up and mouth off...

RTW - why are you saying "we're" when liverpool have **** all chance of even making the champions league this season?
We spend sickening amounts of money, but some of the stupid comments on here also make me sick. Mancini - a **** manager for stabalising an ungelled team with troublemakers, getting them organised, sorting out the defence and coming within a draw away from the champions league? (obviously not counting the West Ham final game of the season in that because that was after the places were decided) Mourinho could have done a better job, but Mancini did a good job and the club is well set for the years to come. So don't slag him off.
What can I say? I'm sorry we've spent such a huge amount of money. We've always had good and faithful fans over the years so i'm sad that inevitably bitters and football enthusiasts alike will end up hating our fans because of the actions of our club. However, it was the most simple and logical plan to make MCFC succesful.
Obviously the actual comment from Mancini is an early attempt at mind games, but from a fans perspective "scared" isn't the appropriate word, however it is used a lot regarding things like this. The actual statement is mind games though.
Also no defence? I would have agreed up until January but I won't argue about that, we'll see this coming season what our defence is like. I think it will be good and we have one of the best centre backs in the world in Vincent Kompany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back