united762000

Reaction score
I have long been a fan of Marcelo Bielsa and his tactics. He is a tactical obsessive, an innovator and a character, and he has done a remarkable at Bilbao but it is his Chile tactic that I find the most interesting. I have obsessed over re creating his 3-3-1-3 fromation.

When manager of Chile, he usually utilised an incredibly demanding, physically draining 3-3-1-3 that requires the most immense sense of versatility. His philosophy of using attack-minded defenders shone through here, as he deployed defensive midfielders on the outside of one true central player to shuttle up and down the pitch. The second line of three contained something almost akin to a narrow full-back on either side, and even then he still employed two wingers higher up the pitch.

Bielsa’s 3-3-1-3 is an inherently attacking formation that aims to take the game to Chile’s opponents, press and defend high up the pitch, and stretch the play as wide as possible when in possession. His back three and the holding midfielder are essentially the four defensive-minded players, whilst the two wing-backs surge forward whenever possible, trying to create overloads against opposition full-backs, and also venturing into more central attacking positions to provide a goal threat.

The team is more or less split into two units. The 4 defensive players comprising the three defenders and the defensive midfielder and the 6 attacking players comprising the two wing backs, a box to box midfielder. 2 defensive wingers and a defensive forward. As Bielsa himself outlines, the idea was to play the game in your opponents half of the pitch, hold a high defensive line and press your opponent very aggressively. An attacking but physically demanding system to employ.

This is not a plug 'n' play system so please don't expect to download it and win everything from the Premier League to the Champions League to the Grand National and The X Factor. This is about enbedding a culture into your club to play aggressive controlled attacking football. I always set my clubs up so that my reserves and youth teams play the same systems as my senior team. This is how Barca have set up and it seems to be working for them. I find it works best if you recruit young players with high work rate and intelligence skills to use.

View attachment 360703View attachment 360704View attachment 360705View attachment 360706

Download link Download Chile 3 at back.tac from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Hi United, there's no box-to-box in the middle of the park, there's a number 10 or playmaker usually Matias Fernandez or Valdivia so I would push the box to box player to AMC position and give him some freedom to create. The WB's are the ones that were used to do the box to box job overlapping either on the outside or inside the winger. keep up and take care

Hi United, there's no box-to-box in the middle of the park, there's a number 10 or playmaker usually Matias Fernandez or Valdivia so I would push the box to box player to AMC position and give him some freedom to create. The WB's are the ones that were used to do the box to box job overlapping either on the outside or inside the winger. keep up and take care

This would recreate the tactic more realistically yeah, but I don't think it would work on FM as well, it would leak too many goals and the AMC would not track back much. Will try this later though, I would advise to make the LWB cut inside too

You right about an advanced playmaker not working on fm13. I tried that but it did not work but the box to box on fm13 is brilliant. My LWB is set to cut inside as well. Both of my wing backs have the same instructions so they both support the centre midfield. Indeed the LWB seems to be a greater attacking threat than the RWB. I had a wing back finish the season scoring 18 goals one in all competitions.

Have you thought about implementing Bielsa's spare man theory in the defence, e.g. When the oppo use 1 striker you use 2 CBS one to man mark and one to cover?

glad it is going well for you mate. keep me posted. took me ages tinkering with the shouts to get them to work properly. I like the way that the wing backs bomb forward and cut inside. have your wingbacks scored many for you? i see you struggled with possession against chelsea.this may sound strange but i found that if you sacrifuce the limted defender for a midfielder with good passing skills and put him in the libero position with attacking mentality and set his creatice freedom high and tellhim to roam from position it increases your possession. well it did for my England under 21's team and my current Wolves save. give it a go maybe against a lesser opposition or in a cupgame to see if it works for you.
this tactic is very good, maybe the shouts take parts of it
- solid defence, despite the enemies still got some shots
- rarely conceding from corners/FK
- great interceptions

View attachment 361064

View attachment 361066

I do have a version of that where i have taken my limted defender and put him as an advanced playmaker. As stated in the post above i sometimes play a creative midfielder in the liberio role. a bit like how Di Rossi was used by Ital in last years Euro's.

Have you thought about implementing Bielsa's spare man theory in the defence, e.g. When the oppo use 1 striker you use 2 CBS one to man mark and one to cover?

I do have a version of that where i have taken my limted defender and put him as an advanced playmaker. As stated in the post above i sometimes play a creative midfielder in the liberio role. a bit like how Di Rossi was used by Ital in last years Euro's.

Could you show a screenshot of this version too? Or upload it :) Would appreciate it

When you upload screenshots two other versions tactic? Looks intresting
You plan to emulate Bielsa s Athletic tactics?

very similair to jorge sampaoli tactics i have uploaded on here, another bielsa disciple

Could somebody make a list of suitable players for each position.
I would love to try this tactic with my nearly invincible Chelsea squad. I want to see if I still dominate after two seasons winning everything possible with my usual tactics.
This looks very creative and interesting.
And... I have always liked the real life work of Bielsa too.