Shauny

Reaction score
Really trying hard to re-create the Martin O'Neill tactic in my Wolves game and at least in my opinion, mainly because I see similarities in the squads and personalities (Young, hard working british players, Tough tackling midfielders, Jarvis, Hunt and Kightly providing the pace and width down the wings, Doyle with his aerial threat, Ebanks-Blake being able to get in behind) - granted of lesser quality though. I decided to go this way because I was basically setting my stall out and through watching the side play I saw the similarities of the way Villa lined up during 06-10 and being an admirer of O'Neill I decided I wanted to go this way of playing. I’m not one to go fluid with lots of creative freedom anyhow; I prefer the more direct, quick football.

Now I have set up team instructions and player instructions, but with the default settings the TC gives so if someone could expand on my ideas I would be much appreciated - who knows, we may even go on to create a killer of a tactic. So far, I have this.

(Apologises because of not being able to provide screenshots, bit of a numpty when it comes to Computers)

Philosophy - Very Rigid
Starting Strategy - Attacking (Home Games) Counter (Away Games)

Passing Style - More Direct
Creative Freedom - More Disciplined
Closing down - Stand-Off More
Tackling - More Aggressive
Marking - Man Marking
Crossing - Float Crosses
Roaming - Stick To Position

Focus Passing - Down Both Flanks

GK: Goalkeeper (Defend)
RB: Full Back (Defend)
CB: Limited Defender (Defend)
CB: Limited Defender (Defend)
LB: Full Back (Defend)
DMR: Defensive Midfielder (Support)
DML: Defensive Midfielder (Support)
AMR: Winger (Attack)
AML: Winger (Attack)
SCR: Target Man (Support)
SCL: Poacher (Attack)
(No advanced settings tweaked on these positions I again add)

The idea I have (IMO O'Neill's way of playing, although stand corrected) is to have a flat back four with the full backs providing very little advancing, although at home with the attacking strategy coming forward abit, the two defensive midfielders acting as a barrier in front of that but with support they will bring the ball forward. With direct passing this 'back six' will get the ball forward quickly to the advanced wingers, who will provide the flair and width (I am toying with the idea of giving these more license to roam, again more help/advice needed here.) and quickly getting balls into the box for the forwards and possibly even the in rushing DMCs. The target man will also act as a quick way of breaking with balls being played at him.

I can’t stress enough that this is my first real go at making a tactic I plan to stick at long-term, as i have always been a game by game tweaker, but with very boring and mainly default settings. I am also fed up of using the 'super tactics' on here too which yes do bring you results, but in reality they are tactics which are just exploiting bugs in the ME. I would love it to be a plug and play (in some respects anyway, I feel strategy simply has to be tweaked now and again no matter who you are/what tactic being used) and if some of my ideas or opinions of how O'Neill gets his sides to line up is wrong, don’t be too critical.

I am mainly looking on people to come up with advanced settings for the players, I definatly feel these need tweaked and also the positions itself? Is the 4-2-2-2 the wrong way to line up? Should it be a solid 4-4-2? I feel the team instructions are fairly accurate, but feel free to discuss those too.

He had a cracking formation with Celtic during the 2002/03 season when they went to the UEFA Cup Final and I'm eager to find out what it was and try and recreate it on FM

I'd go 4-4-2. You actually seem to have his template bang on, good luck with it.

Generally though, at least one winger would cut in whilst the other provided the width.

Ashley Young would be the one always cutting in, so yeah I agree with GodCubed. Hope it turns out well

I must say Shauny, that is a very interesting read, good stuff.

I can't remember exactly who he used between 06-10 but I would suggest that when Milner played through the middle he would be more of a CM(attack), supported by a deep lying playmaker(Petrov).

Also, the Richard Dunne/Curtis Davies partnership could be classed as Stopper/Cover respectively.

You may also want to instruct your full backs to cross often and from deep positions.

Good luck, keep us posted, very refreshing!!!

Thank you for the input. I have made some tweaks based on the posts.

As suggested, I have made the full-backs cross to sometimes, and from deep. As default this was set to far post, but I didn’t quite like the idea of that so I set it to mixed. Again if anyone agrees/disagrees with that I would be happy to hear why.

I have also moved the two DMs to CM. The main job of my two central midfielder players is to first and foremost win the ball, so naturally ball winning midfielder would be ideal, and I think that is also to see with how Martin plays. There isn’t really that much creativity going on through the centre, the way he played was winning the ball and quickly getting it out wide and then supporting the attack, even with Milner and Barry in the centre IMO that was the setup. My CMR is set to defend, as I want one to be limited in how he advances up the pitch and the CML is set to support. For me this backs up the role played by Milner, as when central I personally don’t think he was that attacking. Anyone agree or disagree? Again please offer suggestions. If anyone can also come up with a better combination than this I would very much appreciate it but as far it seems to be working well.

In terms of the wingers I don’t want inside forwards, advanced playmaker in Ashley Young’s role is something to possibly consider but on the left I have Matt Jarvis who despite having a lot of pace and being a good winger, he doesn’t possess the creativity or flair that Young does and in terms of FM I don’t like setting my wingers to cut inside as I want them both to be very wide in making their runs. If I am predicting the ME wrong here then please, I stand corrected. With this in mind I have left my AML on Winger, Attack.. But put my AMR on Winger, Support.. The thinking behind this is basically so that one has less freedom than the other and doesn’t make as many forward runs and as a result offers something slightly different. I am not 100% sure on this though so help would again be appreciated. I am chewing over the idea of having one advanced playmaker and one winger and would like feedback on this. Whether it goes against O'Neills way of playing though, which is what this thread is about is unsure. But having done this and looked at it i am kind of leaning towards thinking Young's role for Villa was of an advanced playmaker..?

So far, so good though. Currently sitting a very modest 9th in February and its looking good. Scoring alot of goals too. Ebanks Blake has bagged 17 goals so far and Jarvis and Kightly are chipping in with alot of assists.

If people could try out this tactic with the information given in the OP and the tweaks I have put in here I would be so grateful as not only for my own benefit, but I think I may actually be on to something here (JINXED!? ;) and with someone else’s opinion/tweaks it could put together a very good tactic. I personally love the way it plays simply because it’s so English, if you get what I mean.

Last edited:
i'm interested in recreate this tactic, and i might try it tomorrow with the info in the OP

also i would set the wingers to change positions sometimes and make them cut inside, young and downing did this a lot of times during the last season