Matthew Upson to start against Slovenia

Mike.

Staff member
Reaction score
Matthew Upson to start against Slovenia

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8751502.stm

West Ham United's Matthew Upson will partner John Terry in central defence for England in their must-win final group game against Slovenia.
More to follow.

England are without the injured Ledley King and suspended Jamie Carragher for Wednesday's game, so coach Fabio Capello has turned to Upson.
The 31-year-old was a key member of the side during World Cup qualification.
England need a win to secure their place in the knockout stages of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
Capello had a straight choice between Upson or uncapped Tottenham defender Michael Dawson and opted for the experience of the Hammers defender.
England are without a victory at the World Cup having drawn 1-1 with the United States in their opening game while Capello's men were held to a goalless draw by Algeria on Friday.
Tottenham defender King was replaced at half-time of England's draw with the US and was later ruled out for three weeks with a groin injury.
His replacement, Liverpool defender Carragher, was booked against both the US and Algeria resulting in a one-match suspension.
A defeat will mean that England are eliminated and a draw would leave their fate depending on the result between the United States and Algeria.

England have also been forced to revise their plans off the pitch ahead of the Slovenia game after being told they will be unable to train in the stadium on Tuesday.
Fifa are mindful of protecting the playing surface at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium and have decided neither side will have access to the pitch.
It is now likely that Fabio Capello's squad will remain at their Rustenburg base to train in the morning before catching a later flight to Port Elizabeth.
Meanwhile, Fifa have also announced that German referee Wolfgang Stark will take charge of the clash with Slovenia.

Last edited:
How frustrating.

Dawson seems unlikely to get a game this WC. King will be alright to play again soon, and Carragher won't be suspended for the next batch.

bit disappoitnted with article so far, started it hoping they'd eventually tell us the team, but all they've added is some fluff that we all know anyway

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

prefer dawson, but not real bothered between the two. our big problems lie elsewhere

Upson is ******* ****.

Not even the Aussies would play him, and they have a **** back line.

if Upson ***** up aswell, i think it's fair to just blame West Ham overall for making their players mistake-prone.

Give the man a chance, he's not played yet!

oh yeah, i'll give him a chance, but i'd of preferred Dawson tbh
ditto. but upson's the man starting, so lets back him. besides im far more worried about how we will line up in terms of formation

ditto. but upson's the man starting, so lets back him. besides im far more worried about how we will line up in terms of formation
true.

guess we'll just have to get behind him and give him the support he needs. When Upson has confidence he's a top player, like in the 2008/2009 season.

i posted it the other day terry and upson have played 6 times for england together and they have won all 6. including the 5-1 against croatia. if they have a decent partnership then that means more then his own ability.

Is this a result of Terrys Outburst? not named 2 hours before kick off

Sigh, This kind of talk is very frustrating. Mathew Upson is a quality defender, he has had a poor season but this happens.

Too many users on this forum are quick to call players ****/amazing after a good/bad run of form.

It's not like you are sending me in there, or worse, Titus Bramble.

Upson's *****, end of story. Ive never rated him. Dawson is 50 times better than him.