Michael Carrick Signs new 3-year deal

ajt09

Nice Guy Gramps
Reaction score
Just been announced Carrick has signed a new 3 year deal at Man Utd. Be interested to hear peoples views on this, as I know theres a lot of mixed views amongst my Man Utd supporting friends. Personally I like him. When he's on top of his game, he can be a quality passer of the ball.
Yeah he's had a pretty naff spell, but who doesn't? I think he'll recover from it, and do what he does best

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...x?newsid=7321CEEB-E559-4649-9ED3-B470CDB74275

Last edited:
Good news. I'm very happy with the news. He does his job well, but people expect a lot from him as he was excellent for 3 seasons. Sadly he is no longer the same Carrick. He is doing his new role very well and Him and Anderson are our best CM pair..

Not my favourite player but an important part of how Man Utd play. (When he's on form)

People don't realise his importance. I am happy for him to stay, but he is not given enough credit when due, and often criticised when he makes mistakes.

We need a better player, yes, but Carrick can do the job.

He's a quality player him and Scholes dominated the midfield then he got injuried but hes getting back to his good form, its good to hear.

Gutted. Has been dreadful this and last season, and his form is dipping.

His long passing game? a treat to watch. His short passing game? Shocking.

He gives the ball away too often and puts masses of pressure on our defense, he should really be out the door, or expect to be on the bench all those 3 years when we hopefully sign a quality centre midfielder in the summer.

Needs to seriously improve his form. Suprised at this tbh.

Gutted. Has been dreadful this and last season, and his form is dipping.

His long passing game? a treat to watch. His short passing game? Shocking.

He gives the ball away too often and puts masses of pressure on our defense, he should really be out the door, or expect to be on the bench all those 3 years when we hopefully sign a quality centre midfielder in the summer.

Nearly every player has a barren spell tbf. Bit harsh on the lad. Fergie signed him for a reason. He's a very good player. Just needs to get over the bad spell

He's been good at times this season, bad at others. He has talent - the Spanish players seem to really rate him, especially - it's just the deployment of his talent that needs control. He's at his best in a three man midfield, but in a two alongside an energetic player like Fletcher or Anderson he does well. I'm sceptical about his ability alongside Scholes.

I don't really rate him anymore, hasn't been the same player since 2009 but hopefully he can improve after signing a new contract.

He's been good at times this season, bad at others. He has talent - the Spanish players seem to really rate him, especially - it's just the deployment of his talent that needs control. He's at his best in a three man midfield, but in a two alongside an energetic player like Fletcher or Anderson he does well. I'm sceptical about his ability alongside Scholes.

Contrary to that Carrick had his best games/years when he played with Scholes. His first 2 seasons out of 3 excellent seasons, this season against Chelsea in the community shield.

Both like to play deep, but for some reason they both play well together.

Nearly every player has a barren spell tbf. Bit harsh on the lad. Fergie signed him for a reason. He's a very good player. Just needs to get over the bad spell

But a barren spell for 2 years is not really acceptable at this level.

Fletcher, Scholes and Anderson are all better players in my eyes, and if we sign another midfielder like we should, when is he going to play?

And at the moment, teams are rubbing their hands with glee when they see the lad's name on the teamsheet.

Not denoting what he has done for the club, he has played great at times, but you need more consistency when you want to win titles.

I'm not overly impressed by this news, but then I have never liked the guy. His main purpose in the team is ball retention and breaking up opposition attacks, and for me he does neither. I sincerely hope that this isn't an indication that we won't spend in the summer.

He is 30 years old. So 3 years makes sense and i think he will play 2 more years then will move to small club where the pressure to succeed is not as high as it is at United.

With Carrick the problem has been a complete loss o confidence, he was at his very best a couple of seasons ago. But then things started to go downhill with him. Maybe the faith the manager is putting in him will pay off and he will get his confidence back.

With Carrick the problem has been a complete loss o confidence, he was at his very best a couple of seasons ago. But then things started to go downhill with him. Maybe the faith the manager is putting in him will pay off and he will get his confidence back.

True. Fergie is a magician sometimes in getting players to play better, and his man management skills are pretty much second to none. Probably just needs a goal here and there, or a goal scoring assist, and he'll be back to normal soon enough

im not sure he will get his form back. hes lost alot of pace and he seems slower than scholes!!! his passing is just awful at the mo and hes muscled off the ball very easily although if he did get his form back he would be a great asset to our midfield.

True. Fergie is a magician sometimes in getting players to play better, and his man management skills are pretty much second to none. Probably just needs a goal here and there, or a goal scoring assist, and he'll be back to normal soon enough

Even i was thinking along the same line. Now that his future is sorted, he can completely concentrate on game and also play with less pressure. Hope he gets back to his 2006-09 form. He was excellent back then.