yaniv297

Reaction score
While FM is obviously the most realistic football management game, it's not perfect.

One of the things that I always find really annoying is, how rival coaches always stick to their preffered formation, through life and death, no matter what.

For example, I've trained Southampton for years, and resigned after winning 3 champion leagues in a row. One of my star men was Angel Correa, an attacking midfielder whose rating was constantly near the 8 mark, won 2 Ballon'O'dor, was the most valuable player in the game and scored in 2 champions league finals (MOTM in one).
After I quite, Diego Simeone replaced me. Simeone plays 4-4-2 without a 'number 10', and Correa can't really play anywhere else efficiently.
So one year later, I check back and what do I see? Correa in the reserves, without having played even one minute throught the season.
Basically Simeone couldn't fit him to his formation, so he left him to rot in reserves - the best player in the world probably! That's like not letting Messi play for a minute in the entire season.

Another example, I've also had Bruma, a great winger. He plays on either flank and he was a huge star for me and one of the best wingers in the world. However, for some reason he was never called up to the Portugal national team.
What's the reason? well, according to the game Bento plays 4-4-2 diamond (which isn't even true, but whatever), which has no wingers. Once again, Bruma didn't fit to his formation (which also plays Ronaldo out of position, as a striker), and instead of playing the obvious 4-3-3 with Bruma and Ronaldo on the flanks, he simply left Bruma out for 3 years!
Bruma ended up accepting a Guinea-Bissau callup and Portugal lost one of the best wingers in the world.

It doesn't really affect the game too much, but it's really annoying!

Anyone else encountered wildly unrealistic situations in FM?

Agree with the formation issue. I had Correa in my save and he won a few BD's too (albeit when Messi wasn't playing anymore, see below point)!

Also, must be mentioned how, if Messi is a regular for Barca, will ALWAYS win the Ballon D'Or in my saves. No matter what! Really annoys me!

I agree with you, I had a similar issue. I took Swansea to the Champions League final twice, I was determined not to resign and go to Spain or something before I won it, the 2nd time around I did win it against PSG 3-1. I had three 5* regens come through on my first ever youth intake for Swansea, one was a DM, another a ST, and one a AMR. Within 5 years all three had been tutored and had 15-20 determination, anyway they were superstars, even at their young age, when I resigned I think it could have been Guardiola or maybe Simeone (It was in November) but only one of them weren't in the Under 21s (ST)... FIX IT SI, my squad was perfect for 4-2-3-1, at least 4* CA in every position and my replacement abandoned everything I did just so he could play his own formation, it's so unrealistic.

Actually, it isn't that unrealistic. LvG at Bayern, and Guardiola at Barca (not exactly the same, but Zlatan on the wide) are some examples I can think of..

Marseille just won the Champions League in the second season. FM is an embarrassment sometimes.

I had the same incident! View attachment 677516

Joke tbh. They were 5-1 down to Arsenal in the semi final first leg and won 6-1 in the second. I defeated the likes of Real Madrid, PSG, Dortmund and lose to MARSEILLES in the final 4-2. I mean you can't get much more unrealistic than that in the second season. Uninstalled. ;)

I agree on the formation thing. Ideally, when a new manager arrives, he looks at what he has to determine how's he's going to put the best players out there at all times. And that's what FM needs to do. Hopefully this is one of the things they fixed in FM15.

When a player has been put through on goal and he's outside the box he takes a shot which just goes wide. Normally irl players run closer to goal until they are at least inside the box then take a shot its so annoying!

Corners. I just won 6-1 and 5 of the goals were from corners. So 5 of the goals were from defenders an my corner taker got 5 assists!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

The irony of somebody starting a thread called "Most unrealistic aspect of FM" then going on to talk about winning the Champions League three years in a row with Southampton. oO)

Obviously FM can't be totally realistic, it's a game! It's like saying "OMG Call of Duty is so unrealistic".. Well yeah, it's not made as a simulation of real life it's made to be fun.

Anyway, the only genuine "unrealistic" part of FM that I can think of that can realistically be changed is coach/ scout star ratings. They're stupid and pointless and make any attempt to actually improve/ sign young players utterly pointless because you already know exactly what players will become stars and you ignore the other 99% of players.

No doubt my point will go unheard due to the amount of people screaming about how unrealistic it is that they lost their Champions League semi-final with Doncaster because the other team scored four corners. Blah. Blah.

P.s there is already a "post your frustrations" thread, so if this one turns into a general moan/ ***** fest I will close it and direct towards > THIS

Last edited:
For me is the players values. How can Schalke refuses 40 million for a player irl?

How i, bayern Munich, winner of the last 5 champion leagues, can't buy a player from Roma, that is not interested in coming to my squad, but goes to Milan and then he's interested for the quadruple of the value?

And, how come players like Gaitan that don't leave Benfica for less than 20 mill, are sold for 15?

Anyway, the only genuine "unrealistic" part of FM that I can think of that can realistically be changed is coach/ scout star ratings. They're stupid and pointless and make any attempt to actually improve/ sign young players utterly pointless because you already know exactly what players will become stars and you ignore the other 99% of players.

I have to agree on this, but what could it be done to get some use in the scout reports?

I just took 28,000 away supporters to a game in Bosnia in a Euro cup play off... I'm Standard Liege and only get gates of 21,000 fans at home games! Thought it was pretty funny

Probably the amount of 'fluke' goals that are scored. Way too many crosses or even corners end up going right into the net or bouncing off the crossbar.

The game is a complete joke, playing as Madrid, Took a 5 yes 5! nil lead to the new camp for a Spanish cup second leg, you guessed it, got beat 7 yes 7! nil , Barca had 45! attempts at goal 25! on target haha Players such as Cristiano Ronaldo, Marcelo and Isco putting in 4.9 performances, totally fell out of love with the game now, If it was in anyway, shape or form a possibility in real life I would accept it, even welcome it so as to add to the realism of the game but this so far fetched it is totally farcical.

Not to mention the transfer market being completely locked down for any human player, £200mil offer for a player worth £15/20 mil turned down time after time only to lose hope of ever signing then see them go to a non human club for peanuts! its a joke, so much potential in this game only for it be a massive let down year on year, lets be honest they've been trying to put out a good FM for years now and unfortunately they've managed to mess it up every time, infact on several occasions the game has been released broken, so many bugs and issues, shame on you SI

The thing that i really hate is how the CPU asks for 50 million for a player that is worth 5 million but then they offer me 5 million for a player worth 15 and when i try to negotiate for 15 they say it's too much. That right there really grinds my gears

Ooh and another thing is how Abou Diaby always asks me to be transfered because he needs another challenge when in all of his interviews in real life he thanks Arsenal and Wenger everytime..

Another thing is tranfers, every save i start clubs ALWAYS go for the same players it's really annoying

Last edited:
Marseille just won the Champions League in the second season. FM is an embarrassment sometimes.

Actually, if FM one year ago had Atletico Madrid will win La Liga and reach the CL final, I'd say it's completely unrealistic. Or if you told me 3 hours ago MK Dons will beat United 4-0. Under certain circumstances, that can happen.

The irony of somebody starting a thread called "Most unrealistic aspect of FM" then going on to talk about winning the Champions League three years in a row with Southampton. oO)

You do realise I won it in 2020 after many years of team building, hard work and youngsters raising?

You're spot on about the scout reports though, if you have a 20/20 scout he almost never gets anything wrong. Too easy to raise stars like that. Although I admit I had a few 4.5 stars potencial players end up pretty average - not sure if I didn't raise them right, or if the scout was wrong.

The thing that i really hate is how the CPU asks for 50 million for a player that is worth 5 million but then they offer me 5 million for a player worth 15 and when i try to negotiate for 15 they say it's too much. That right there really grinds my gears

Actually this makes perfect sense. They decide the prize for their player is 50m, and the most they are willing to pay for yours is 15m. Don't agree? no deal. That's real life too. Nothing stopping clubs of giving ridiculous values to their players (Luke Shaw 30m? Marquinhos, David Luiz, etc), or offering low bids to other players.

Ooh and another thing is how Abou Diaby always asks me to be transfered because he needs another challenge when in all of his interviews in real life he thanks Arsenal and Wenger everytime..

The FM algorithm is quite right on that, no playing time = players wants to leave. Or did you expect FM makesrs to read and take into account every interview every player ever gives? Even if they did, those interviews doesn't say much. How many players declared they're staying and happy, and ended up leaving a week after? Just one example here.