Reaction score
I see alot of people amongst the forum praising strikers and calling them "the best in game", but is a striker really the most vital part of the team?

Could it be a goal keeping machine that saves you 6-7 points a season through his shot stopping or a crucial penalty save?

Maybe that defender that is the last line of defence and makes the vital interception/block for a goal bound pass/shot.

Is it the midfielder that pulls all the strings. The player that tracks back to help defend and bombs forward when your team is attacking, dictating the tempo with his lethal touch and vision.

Or possibly the striker that scores 30+ a season and wins the golden boot. Everything he touches turns to goal and he scores a 90 min wonder goal that gets your team the victory.

So, what do you think is the 'most vital' part of a team?

You could say, it really depends on the match or team.

In my opinion, they are all as important as one another- Because if you have a striker who scores 30+ a season, and a poor defence, your still not going to win alot of matches. Or a solid Goalkeeper, but a midfield who can't pass, your going to be in alot of trouble defensively.

Absolutely true, I think its unfair that strikers get alot of attention ahead of other players. For example, Tevez for Man City, alot of people claim he is their main player, but I would argue that either Joe Hart or Vincent Kompany are? And its the same on FM.

It's always going to be the defence build from the back, if you have a clean sheet you have always got a chance of winning with one chance maybe luck don't matter.

It is generally accepted that a class striker is the first thing that you would want on your team. Strikers (mostly) are meant to score goals, and if you can't score goals, you can't win, hence why they often command the highest transfer fees.

'Keepers are probably the second most important though.

It's always going to be the defence build from the back, if you have a clean sheet you have always got a chance of winning with one chance maybe luck don't matter.

But if you score more than they do, you win. Thats why strikers are most important.
But you can't score if you can't create a chance, thats why midfielders are most important.

After seeing what Arsenal have done on numerous occasions this season, I'm gonna say good Centre-Backs who are influential, players along the lines of Vidic or Terry or even Dunne are critical to the side. Otherwise I would probably have said a striker who can bang in the goals like GodCubed said above.

Last edited:
Midfield. They have to be able to defend and attack. They help out the defenders and provide chances for the strikers :)

Firstly, IMO, Striker regens are the most common and overall best players (attribute wise) to find. It's hard not to find a solid striker regen (I think this needs tweaked for fm12)

But if I had to choose one position in general, I'd say goalkeeper.

But for my formation the most important position are the sidebacks. Without quality sidebacks my tactic can bog down.

Every position IMO. It's like when in the press conference I get asked what the best part of my team is. I ALWAYS answer all of it then they say it was "a cagey press conference from Bird" it clearly wasn't I just value all parts of my team equally because they all play their part.

It is generally accepted that a class striker is the first thing that you would want on your team. Strikers (mostly) are meant to score goals, and if you can't score goals, you can't win, hence why they often command the highest transfer fees.

'Keepers are probably the second most important though.

This is one way of thinking (probably the more 'cup half full' opinion), If you dont score you dont win. The 'cup half empty' opinion would be that if you dont concede, you dont lose?

Go argue with Holloway about clean sheets :p

I tend to care most about having a good playmaker - the heartbeat of my team. But sometimes a good forward can change a game with a single strike.

In my humble opinion the midfield is where the battle is won. Win the midfield and you win the game.

Goals win matches, so strikers (or offensive wingers, eg Ronaldo)

It depends fully on the tactic that a team is using. For example if a squad is playing long ball, drilling the ball upfield for the fast striker to collect, run at goal and score, then the Striker is the most important because he has the difficult/vital job. A lot of players can put their foot right through a ball.

Having a good goalkeeper is essential imo.A poor goalkeeper will cost you alot of points during a season by conceding stupid goals.

You can't win if you don't score
Strikers and wingers ftw

edit:

This is one way of thinking (probably the more 'cup half full' opinion), If you dont score you dont win. The 'cup half empty' opinion would be that if you dont concede, you dont lose?

Those that aim to win tend to do better than those that aim not to lose, don't they?

Last edited:
In my opinion, every player counts. In my Dynamo Dresden LLM game I struggled heavily when I made it into the 2. Bundesliga, finishing 14th and 15th in two seasons until I analysed my team by watching some matches in full. I had maybe the best strikers in the league, a pretty good defense and a good keeper, while I thought my midfield was ok as well. After I watched a couple of my matches in full length, I found my wingers lost the ball as soon as they got it, destroying most of my chances right at the start.

It didn't show up in the team rankings after a match really, since I play possession football and just passing the ball around a couple of dozends of times during a match already made them get a 6.8 or higher.

So before that find, I thought all a winger needs is quickness, dribbling and crossing, but this pointed out that a tackling skill of 3 can ruin the whole match performance...

Long story short, I didn't expect my wingers to have such a high influence on the overall performance which shows that every player can make or break your team. The best striker won't help much if he doesn't get any passes because your playmakers and/or your wingers don't win a single challenge. Whole defensive line can be great but if there is one central defender with a speed skill of 5, opponents will just run past him and your other 3 super star defenders won't help much any more.