Movies You Grew Up On?

Kylo

MAAAATTT DAMMOONNNNNN
Reaction score
Fellow Members,

As there are a few film threads floating around tonight, I decided to make one that will really reveal the age and taste of our fellow forum members. I question you to find 5 films that you grew up on. Whether it be a film you had to watch over and over with your parents, or perhaps one that made you sad/happy as a child, I'd like to hear your answers.

As we are all different ages, and will have been raised in different ways, It will be interesting to see what type of films pop up. I personally consider the films in my top 5 to be great movies, that I enjoyed as a child, and enjoy even more as a teenager.

Here is my top 5:

1. The Iron Giant

iron_giant.jpg

A truly great film, even if you're not a child. I'm sure a lot of you have seen this, released in the 90s, it was a film that my parents had purchased for me when I was younger, and I loved watching it. A few weeks ago, the film was on Sky, and I had to watch it, it still made me sad to see the ending! I only found out recently that stars such as Jennifer Anniston and Vin Diesil voiced the film, and I'd put this in my top 10 films anyday. The true friendship that grows between the giant and Hogarth is something that makes this film great, not to mention the comedy value when you're young, and the truly sad ending.

2. Home Alone

images

Well, this film was brilliant to watch when I was younger. A small boy played by Macaulay Culkin, is abandoned in a strange series of events that sees his whole family depart leaving him alone. The film is childhood gold as the first thing he does when he discovers that he is alone, is that he celebrates. As a child, the film is funny, and as a teenager, It's great to watch these films again, as they are truly great. Last Christmas, I actually watched all 3 (as the 4th shouldn't even be classed as a film) within a day, and they're all great.

3. Harry Potter

images

Well, a series of films I certainly grew up watching. From 2001 to present, I have watched a Harry Potter film every year. Whether it be watching the last one again, or viewing a new one every November/July, it was almost a thing I used to look foward to as a young lad. In a way, the film grew from a cutesy fantasy story into a dark, action filled drama, and this was almost perfect timing for my age. In 2001, I was only under the age of 10, and this allowed me to really enjoy the childish side of the film, and now, I'm a teenager, and the films are becoming action packed and dark, which is brilliant, as i'd find the old ones terrible, had they made the new ones in a similar style.

4. The Goonies

goonies_sloth.jpg

Despite this film being released in 1985, I grew up watching it several times. The film is amazing is many ways, and I'm sure just about everyone on the forum has seen this loveable film. I found the film brilliant due to the characters, and the chemistry between the group of kids. Characters such as Chuck and Sloth are brilliant in unique ways, but even these completely different characters develop a great friendship.

5. Back to the Future

40-movie-bastards-09-420-75.jpg

Like The Goonies, this was also released in 1985. A strange film to grow up on, but a truly great series of movies! I'm not sure why I loved this as a kid, but I really did enjoy watching this, even at the young age of 11 or 12, I would have considered this to be one of my favourite films. I even had 'The Power of Love' on my first phone which I know, is a bit strange.

That concludes the list of the best films I grew up on. Others would include Shrek, Monsters Inc and Finding Nemo, but I wasn't a huge fan of these, and wouldn't really compare them with The Iron Giant or The Goonies. That's all from me though, time for you to post your list, no matter how old or how strange, I'd like to hear them. I'm expecting many people to say films such as Waynes World, The Goonies, Wizard of Oz etc, you decide in a top 5. :)

Looking foward to hearing the replies,
Kylo.

The Lion King
Pocahontas
The Lion King 2
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
And, ofc, Lion King 3 ^^

90's Disney ftw, new 3d movies completely suck

lion king :wub:
the iron giant :wub:
jurassic park :wub:

Last edited:
Goonies>Every film ever made. :wub:

Other than that my list goes as follows:

5)Toy Story

I wore out the tape on my VHS copy I had of this film. I watched it all the time. Honestly, I still like to sit down and watch this movie. If it's on TV, I'll watch it. If I walk into a room that's playing it I can't leave until I've seen my favourite bit of that scene. At one point (according to my folks) I could almost quote the entire thing.

4)The Jungle Book

The range of emotions that I went through watching this film was pretty hilarious. I would be happy, sad, scared, angry and relieved all within a matter of minutes. And the end? Where Shere Khan comes for Mowgli? Don't get me started. I still get anxious when I here him sing the last verse of that song they all sing just because of how scared I was when I was a child. XD

3) The Goonies.

All I can say is that if you haven't seen The Goonies, you are seriously missing out. It is one of the most hilarious movies ever. I watched this one all the time. :wub::wub::wub:

1) (tie) Karate Kid

The original one, just to be clear. My dad made me watch this movie with him once and I hated it the first time through. Probably cause I thought it was an "adult" film. But then it was on tv when I was about 9 and I realised how much I enjoyed it. I loved the story, loved the characters and loved the movie. I must have seen this one a million times and to this day I'll sit down and pop it in. I recently bought a Blu-Ray player, first blu-ray disc? The Karate Kid.

1 (tie) The Lion King

I swear that if this one doesn't come up more often, I might have to leave the forum. ;) The first time I saw this at the cinema, when Mufasa died (was about 4 or 5 at the time) everyone was dead silent and then I yelled, "Hey! His dad is dead!" at which point I broke down in tears. XD Great story and an absolutely classic film.

That concludes my list. @Kylo, Back to The Future and the Iron Giant both are top movies. Excellent choices mate. (H)

1. Star Wars trilogy (the old ones and the best)

2. Raiders of the lost Ark.

3. The Goonies.

4. Gremlins.

5. Ghostbusters.

6. ET

7. Jaws

8. Ferris Buellers day off.

9. Back to the Future.

10. weekend at Bernies.

5)Toy Story

I wore out the tape on my VHS copy I had of this film. I watched it all the time. Honestly, I still like to sit down and watch this movie. If it's on TV, I'll watch it. If I walk into a room that's playing it I can't leave until I've seen my favourite bit of that scene. At one point (according to my folks) I could almost quote the entire thing.

Im the same as you mate!!

1) The Neverending Story - litterally felt like it would never ever end...
600full-the-neverending-story-photo.jpg

2) Goonies of course :wub:
the-goonies-450x333.jpg

3) The Wizard of Oz - i watched it everyday (with my sister) at my Grans place every holiday
wizard-of-oz-dvdcover.jpg

4) The Mighty Ducks - Pure Awesomeness :wub:
Mighty-Ducks-logo.jpg

5) cant think of anymore, there were a lot, but i cant remember at all right now, bit hungover :wub:

The Lion King
Aladdin
Braveheart
Star Wars trilogy (IV-VI)
Toy Story
Jurassic Park
Home Alone I-II

Toy story
Jurassic Park
Star Wars
Harry Potter

Basically all the extremely unrealistic but good films :)

Early Jean-Claude van Damme action movies.
Terminator 1 & 2
Ace Ventura
Robocop
Rambo
Guns of Honor
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Last edited:
Lion King
Harry Potter
Home Alone
Pocahontas
Power Rangers

Toy Story
Lion King
Dinosaurs
Back to the Future
police academy
Jurassic Park
Cash & Tango
Friday, Next Friday, Friday after the Next
Ace Ventura
home alone
harry potter

Does anyone remember A Land Before Time??