Mr Hough's Shout Combo It's The Future Thread

Hello there!

I must confess. I was a little skeptical about the shouts until I've experienced them and use them in a correct way. With this post I want to share with all of you my experience with Spurs using shout combo's.
So, here goes the classification:

View attachment 294095View attachment 294097View attachment 294098View attachment 294099

I guess winning the League with Spurs it's a good achievement, even more with this performance, although they have a good and a strong team.

Here I present the two formations that I consider the best for them:

View attachment 294100View attachment 294101

They're completely made by TC with just a few changes and the necessary changes in set-pieces. I ask my assistant manager to pick the OI's and the training was set according the opposition. So, if playing home i set attacking movement unless I play with the big ones. There I set defending positioning. Away from home I set both ones, depending of opposition or even teamwork if play in difficult fields (Stoke, Swansea, Southampton,etc).

Here are the combo's:

View attachment 294106View attachment 294107View attachment 294108View attachment 294109View attachment 294110View attachment 294116

The first one is used at home or away with "easy" opponents to ensure we keep a patient game trying to open spaces. I used this when I see that the other team defense is sitting deep. If they're trying to take on my free spaces I immediately change my approach.
The second one is used in 2 situations: when I have 2 or 3 goals ahead and trying to keep the possession and the result; Or away from home when I don't know what to expect or it's a difficult game.
The third one is used against teams playing very narrow like Man City. I haven't used that much this combo...
The fourth one I use when I try to grab some result. It's an approach to that final moments when I was down by 1 goal or so.
The fifth one I stole from Mike :p in fact, is very effective. When the other team is "upon us" leaving much space to exploit, this approach is very effective. Since we play in the counter with an already deep defense I disable the "drop deeper" shout.
The last one is based on Madrid approach. A very high press, trying to deny space to other team, with the purpose of launch quick counter-attacks. Very useful with the big ones...

So, this is my experience. It's not an approach that make everyone win.
However, carefully used, the shouts can really be a powerful weapon since they're suited to team you are playing. I recommend this to everyone who is struggle to make their one tactics.

Joao

If anyone is having any problems creating they own tactics, systems and or shouts then I suggest you read this thread or at least the opening post.

After downloading loads of tactics to try learn something from them (an failing for the most part) I've not made my own systems and stole the shouts from the opening post and I think I'm onto a winning formula. I've only played a dozen or so games using my new own tactic but I think its working, especially when used in conjunction with shouts.

For the formation and system I went with a basic 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-2-1 if you prefer to write it down that way and also a more attacking 4-2-3-1. I'm using balanced and standard and no player or team instructions have been changes with the exception of limiting long shots. I wanted the shouts to have the maximum amount of impact when used and I didn't want to conflict any of those by changing interactions personally. So far so good too, still need to perfect them formation I think and I do think I need to look at the shouts. I need a decent counter shout for when I'm up against the bigger teams (I'm Spurs btw) but I did manage a win at the Etihad which I was pleased with.

All in all it really has improved my enjoyment in the game as I feel I'm having a direct impact on my team.

First of all, great thread, great contributions.

Ive read through it a couple of times and there are a Couple of things I can't quite grasp. Firstly, how do shouts affect tactic familiarity? As shouts can be applied before games, and seem to form part of a tactic in some way, are they familiarised? Or, is only the default shape, player roles, mentality and fluidity familiarised? If so one would have to presume that you would almost always be playing without optimum mentality, something which is more crucial than ever this year.

Secondly, I understand that the shouts have no effect on ticked things, but how about things like creative freedom, tackling and passing which sit below the mentality and fluidity, but are not ticked, just selected from a list of three (such as pass shorter, default, pass longer). How are these affected: does a shout have an effect; does it override the original instruction; or does it modify the instruction from a base created by you selection (shouting for longer passing when playing with sorter passing would make you pass longer, but not long in the more traditional sense)

With these issues in mind ow would you approach a 'shout-based' tactic, is there a way of increasing familiarity without reducing the effectiveness of shouts and would you be better off simply setting player roles, mentality and style, then leaving the other options free to be effected by shouts?

i hope you understand what I mean, I am really looking forward to getting into using shouts as its something I have always neglected and the flexibility they can give you looks superb.

First of all, great thread, great contributions.

1. )Ive read through it a couple of times and there are a Couple of things I can't quite grasp. Firstly, how do shouts affect tactic familiarity? As shouts can be applied before games, and seem to form part of a tactic in some way, are they familiarised? Or, is only the default shape, player roles, mentality and fluidity familiarised? If so one would have to presume that you would almost always be playing without optimum mentality, something which is more crucial than ever this year.

2. )Secondly, I understand that the shouts have no effect on ticked things, but how about things like creative freedom, tackling and passing which sit below the mentality and fluidity, but are not ticked, just selected from a list of three (such as pass shorter, default, pass longer). How are these affected: does a shout have an effect; does it override the original instruction; or does it modify the instruction from a base created by you selection (shouting for longer passing when playing with sorter passing would make you pass longer, but not long in the more traditional sense)

With these issues in mind ow would you approach a 'shout-based' tactic, is there a way of increasing familiarity without reducing the effectiveness of shouts and would you be better off simply setting player roles, mentality and style, then leaving the other options free to be effected by shouts?

i hope you understand what I mean, I am really looking forward to getting into using shouts as its something I have always neglected and the flexibility they can give you looks superb.

1.)Yes, this means that the players gets slightly less familiar with the approach, just like it it is for the AI. Even if using the same shouts in all matches, the team will not get familiar with them as such, only with the tactic that is loaded up in the match prep
I would not wory too much about this unless you have your team setup in a stand off press and then you always implement " Hassle", sometghing that is highly the opposite etc etc.

2.) Most shouts modifies the setting in relation to how its set. This means that if playing with "Stand off" and you then shout " push up", you will play with normal press. If you start the game with normal press and then shout "push up", it ,means you now play with "press more" This naturally also goes for the shouts like Stay on feet/get stuck in, retain possession/get forward, etc etc.
There are also shouts that sets "extreme" settings, like "hassle". Here, they will close down the highest possible, regardless of your initial settings

1.)Yes, this means that the players gets slightly less familiar with the approach, just like it it is for the AI. Even if using the same shouts in all matches, the team will not get familiar with them as such, only with the tactic that is loaded up in the match prep
I would not wory too much about this unless you have your team setup in a stand off press and then you always implement " Hassle", sometghing that is highly the opposite etc etc.

2.) Most shouts modifies the setting in relation to how its set. This means that if playing with "Stand off" and you then shout " push up", you will play with normal press. If you start the game with normal press and then shout "push up", it ,means you now play with "press more" This naturally also goes for the shouts like Stay on feet/get stuck in, retain possession/get forward, etc etc.
There are also shouts that sets "extreme" settings, like "hassle". Here, they will close down the highest possible, regardless of your initial settings

That's very usefull thank you!!

based on these two answers, do you think it would be productive to have two tactics set within match preparation training (with a third in a different formation for another situation).

One with all settings other than mentality and fluidity set to default, so as to get the most from shouts. This way you can access the full range of options from shouts in game. This will be the starting tactic.

A second with the settings tuned to how you would tend to start a game, or the shout which you would predominately use, to familiarise the prodominant style of play. This tactic would never actually be selected

Then, when using the first tactic, your predominant style of play selected through shouts would be familiarised by the match preparation of your second tactic. your squad will be familiar to the way you are asking them to play, but you would have to freedom to change things up as normal with other shouts.

Last edited:
That's very usefull thank you!!

based on these two answeres, do you think it would be productive to have two tactics set within match preparation training (with a third in a different formation for another situation).

One with all settings other than mentality and fluidity set to default, so as to get the most from shouts. This way you can access the full range of options from shouts in game. This will be the starting tactic.

A second with the settings tuned to how you would tend to start a game, or the shout which you would predominately use, to familiarise the prodominant style of play. This tactic would never actually be selected

Then, when the second tactic, your predominant style of play when selected through your most common shout would be familiarised by the match preparation of your second tactic. your squad will be familiar to the way you are asking them to play, but you would have to freedom to change things up as normal with other shouts.

I think you confused youself there, but yes, you can do the following

- Use your normal " untweaked" tactic as the starting tactic
-Load up one more tactic that you that looks excatly like the way it does when having implementd one set of shouts
- Load up yest another tactic that looks excatly like the way it does when having implementd a second set of shouts

Just remember that IF you want to save a tactic ingame after having implemented the shouts, you need to go inside tha tactic and actually fixate/manually set all the settings as shouts dont save.

I think you confused youself there, but yes, you can do the following

- Use your normal " untweaked" tactic as the starting tactic
-Load up one more tactic that you that looks excatly like the way it does when having implementd one set of shouts
- Load up yest another tactic that looks excatly like the way it does when having implementd a second set of shouts

Just remember that IF you want to save a tactic ingame after having implemented the shouts, you need to go inside tha tactic and actually fixate/manually set all the settings as shouts dont save.

Okay, yes you definitely put that better than me lol. I think I am begining to understand this a lot better though, outside of the very best teams who can afford to play a similar way in 90% of games, dictating play through shouts seems a much better option:)

Fantastic thread! I will definitely be using some of the combos in here. One set of my own is as below:

Hold the Lead - drop deeper, retain possession, clear ball to flanks

Barca style is brilliant. I've removed the pass to feet option since i go with napoli, and i have plenty of speedy players to get through balls, but what I wanted to say were the results. First match against roma, without shouts, lost 2-1. Now with shouts won 4-2 with 15 shots on target, roma had just 2. In euro cup manage a 4-0 with 10 shots on target. Got hamsik, insigne, douglas cousta, welington nem, vargas, cavani and ofc ademilson to score ;d

Will this year is not going to get a "shout combo" for 4231 system?......