My 4-2-3-1. Possession, Goals and exciting football.

  • Thread starter Thread starter NoIdeas
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 13K

NoIdeas

Member
Joined
May 3, 2014
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Introduction

Hello guys/gals? :),

This has took me quite a while to actually share this tactic.

This tactic has worked for 90% of the teams I've used it on. I've won the WC with England, La Liga with Real, promoted and sitting 4th in the league with Wigan.

I am Currently using it with Southampton, I took over midway through the season after my WC win with England, I went undefeated and secured 3rd in the league!

I will post a screenshot of that season along with the WC campaign.

View attachment 381523View attachment 381522

The Tactics.

V1:
This is the tactic I reccommend, it has not failed to deliver big when needed, for smaller clubs. This is the Tactic I lay my hat on with any team.
View attachment 380572

V3:

This seems alot more polished for bigger teams, with better players.
View attachment 380655
I enjoyed a similar set up in FM11 with great results, and this year I seem to have hit the nail on the head again.

Opposition Instructions;

V1 :


I only use OI in the big games, or against any opponent that are expected to beat me. As this is my formation I have become fluid in knowing when to use it in which games. Sometimes introducing OI at half time has produced 5 goal come backs.

V3:

Against any formations that plays wingers/wingbacks, manually assign your right SS to man mark the left winger and your right SS to mark the left winger. It ensures you keep the opposition under control.

Training:


I do not make any player train specifically for anything in particular. This Formation has been a beast for me when fully fluid.

Please leave me feedback if you try it, do not flame me of this doesn't work for you! Lets have some constructive criticism, and I will see if it helps.

I have also never tried it on FMC, if you do try it there post some results please.

Feedback:


I am not arrogant, I will always take constructive criticism and try to use it to improve my tactic. With Dave256's input I believe I may have perfected this formation for bigger teams (V3). In big games the possesion is tighter but I score more and concede alot less.

Screenshots of my season using V1 of this tactic:
View attachment 380646
Screenshot of V3!
View attachment 380645

View attachment 381499
View attachment 380986
 
Last edited:
errrrm this is a VERY early observation and so please dont take this as gold. This tactic is INCREDIBLY potent!!! Plugged it into FMC to give it a whirl and I'm 3-0 up 20mins in to my first friendly, 4 ccc's, 6 shots, 6 shots on target with the opposition 1 shot off target. I can't really see any glaring errors but can see ways the opposition could open you up. You have the CD with more closing down, which will draw him out of position. The logic is there with the covering defender but how I've seen this game work is players just stop tackling and so you'll have a midfielder dribble through, your CD will close down and he'll slip the ball through to the forward running in behind. Also, you have the 2 WB's alone on the flanks which will obviously leave you open to attacks down the wing...but thats just going to happen with a formation like this. Maybe if you're winning you could have the 2 SS's mark the opp fb's to give your WB's that bit of support? You have cover for counters though with the BWM on defend and the CM on support and so there's no issue there. I would say its solid...just this ME will always find a way to f**k you over

I'm liking it :)

How do you find you concede? Is it after you've scored or there's a pattern or something?
 
Also, I've noticed the right WB has mark tighter but the left doesnt. What was your thinking for this? You could maybe change the WB's instruction to support after 2 goals up to make sure he doesnt dart forward too often? I'm also undecided on tight marking and closing down more often on defenders...but that's personal choice. I can see you occassionally getting opened up at the back with your defenders closing down but I think this is a 'we'll score more than you' kinda tactic haha
 
I had it on mark tighter on my left back as Luke Shaw was sometime losing his players, it can be removed to your own liking. I'm glad you are trying it in FMC. I'm looking forward to hearing more results.

I change nothing in the formation when playing, The team usually concede stupid goals, like rebounds and penalties, highly annoying but I suppose it happens in real life too. I think in the end of season report it said I conceded in the 30th to the 45th most often, but also scored more in that time too.

4-4-2 is this formations weakness, they are usuall the most high scoring games. You still win the games but concede a fair few in doing so. You could manually set man marking if you chose to do so, let me know how it goes. I really wanted to keep this formation simple with OI though.
 
Strange thought...have you tried tight man marking the opposition wingers with your SS's? I've always marked the fb's but I just tried marking the wingers and they intercepted a shitload and then countered like a dream. You still have the advanced forward as an outlet but it seems to make the SS's dart forward when you win the ball back. I think you'd ideally want them with good teamwork and workrate but it seemed to work pretty well on first experiment :)
 
No but it is a good idea, I will implement it in my next 10 games and see if it makes a difference.
 
Krovax are you asking to see my squad or the formation? I've now played 3 games v 4 4 2 while man marking and it has resulted in 0-0s. Good if you don't like losing.
 
Krovax are you asking to see my squad or the formation? I've now played 3 games v 4 4 2 while man marking and it has resulted in 0-0s. Good if you don't like losing.

Wellllll you asked for the tactic to be more defensive. I think now you've found how to take the threat away from the wingers you then look to see where your team could be a little more attacking while waiting for the SS's to get back in position. I've noticed that the BWM on defensive position has sat back and fairly often boots the ball forward as he has no one to pass to in front of him. I've been experimenting with playing him in a more supporting role and it seems to give him a pass more directly in front of him as he sits a little further up the pitch. It's that position I've been experimenting with recently. Maybe playing him as a box to box midfielder might give you that little more attacking threat while your SS's mark the opp wingers? Ideally, I want him sitting about halfway in between the halfway line and the opp penalty box...that way he doesn't leave too much space behind him for a counter but also offers a better option in attack
 
Also, I've taken the 'tighter marking' instruction out of team instructions. I think the role instructions seem to set the defenders to close down and mark, not much you can do about that, but I felt the tighter marking instruction was forcing my CD's to both mark the lone forward when 1 up front
 
I have modified the tactic, played 20 games scored a ridiculous amount, and conceded alot less. Would like to thank Dave256 for his input. Would really appreciate more feedback from the community.
 
What have you done different with this version? I was working on little changes with your last version but this ME ****** me off soooo much that I just gave in.
 
I've dropped the BWM to DM, It was outright annoying me when I noticed he was hoofing the ball forward, I seem to have eliminated that. I have removed tighter marking from the team instructions too. It has upped the defensive side of this formation 5 fold. I am actually getting consitent clean sheets.
 
It certainly seems to score quick :) When I go ahead and the opp starts over running me (usually at 2 goals ahead) I mark the oppositions wingers with my SS's and seems to kill them off a bit :)
 
Post screenshots and a little more info and it will get people more interested :) I'm liking this tactic and the only reason you're not getting attention is because you haven't put much info. I do think the marking the opp wingers with the SS's is good though :)
 
Also, have your tried changing the AF to a F9 by any chance? I play with Spurs and soldado has 'likes to beat offside trap' and so as anything too forward thinking he gets caught offside a lot. I'm playing around with him as an F9 and he seems to be better that way. Not sure if you've tried that?
 
Long time lurker, just want to say that this tactic has brilliant potential but I'm currently leaking goals.

I'd love some more tips with regards to OI or PI. Am using the V3 atm.
 
I take back marking the wingers. Mark the FB's/WB's if anything, but marking the wingers brings the opposition onto you too much
 
Back
Top