My Football Manager career

mccollio09

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just came across this section and seeing as how I'm new(ish) on here, I thought I'd introduce myself properly.

So, a bit about myself first, an Englishman now living in France, I've been playing FM since its creation, and started in 1995 with the Championship Manager series.

For years and years I used to just be my two favourite teams, Liverpool and Tranmere Rovers. Over the last three years I've expanded a lot on who I'll manage, a lot of the time just letting the comp pick a randomised team for me.

My last three FM careers then:

FM 10, Sunderland

- perhaps the most successful I've ever been outside of the top four; I set myself a challenge of winning the league in three seasons with them, mission accomplished. I then went onto defend the title another two consecutive seasons as well as winning the champions league back to back and various domestic competitions before I got bored and resigned. In the same save, I took over Bradford City, who'd lost their way stranded in bottom place of League 2. Using my established reputation, I nicked a few of my previously signed sunderland youth regens on loan, got them out of trouble, and slowly progressed in consecutive seasons all the way up to the Premiership again to face my old club - who had done a Rafa Benitez at Inter job, since I'd left! Sadly, Success never went beyond mid-table with Bradford, and so boredom set in and a new save began just before FM 11 came out.

Everton
Same again I thought, win the league in three seasons. Slightly gobsmacked, I did it in two, after having signed just ONE player - Gervinho (funds from Arteta, Osman and a few of the reserves). Other significant changes were giving Coleman, Rodwell and Vaughan places in the first 11 from day one. With that achieved, FM 11 was ready to begin.

FM 2011 - A struggle
I don't know why, but compared to FM10, my success stories have been few and far between. I had several failed saves before going back to my trusty Liverpool and winning the league in the second season on 112 points - just didn't feel that special being a big club though so I gave up on it, not much of a challenge. Next it was an attempt with Coventry, who I finished top of the championship with in the first season, kept up the second, and became frustrated after a mediocre mid-table finish in the third season.

Current save - Derby County
I'd say this is proably my 5th save on FM, and hopefully one I can stick with and have a monster management career as with Sundeland in FM10. So far, we're off to a great start. Promoted in the first season, respectful league finish in the premiership in the second season + a league cup win, second season saw a cup double - league and FA cup and a third place finish in the league. This season, I was a tad ambitious, and told the board I could challenge for the title. Currently lying in 5th place (1 point behind second), after 22 games played.

Chelsea are 9 points clear of everyone at the top so it would take a monster run of form and misfortunate on their part to achieve my aim. I got a b*tch of a group in the CL, Lyon and Benfica (Lyon won the Champions League last season), so unfortunately we got knocked out in third place, although I'm confident about the Europa League. Things have gotten worse as my inspirational strike force of Babacar and Sanogo was ripped apart, as Babacar is out for 7 months with a broken leg!

So there it is, I'll post my squad below, to be honest you'll see it's nothing overly impressive, my star players are Hoilett, Babacar and Sanogo, with Othon not being too bad either. We have no problems scoring goals, but we're dodgey at the back - could be down to my choice of formation, but it's got me this far so I'm staying loyal to it.

P.s, you need any tips for any players I'm working with and how to get the best out of them, don't hesitate to p.m me

So there it is, I'll post transfer histories from previous seasons up, quite proud of my net spend, took advantage of a lot of relegated teams selling their best players for cheap and contracts expiring.

So there's the transfer history from A-Z. Special mentions to players who helped to get me where I am have to go to Michael Owen (free), Frazier Campbell (peanuts + massive resale value + some important goals), Hargreaves (free). Definitely possible to achieve with English players!

All ive got to say is......Well done, thats some achievement wish i had your dedication, cant seem to stick to a save atm XD

All ive got to say is......Well done, thats some achievement wish i had your dedication, cant seem to stick to a save atm XD

Thanks Callum, I know how you feel, it takes a lot of patience, you take three unlucky losses on the bounce and you want to throw the CD out the window!

Yeah i know the feeling i am currently on a new save with Arsenal.. Starting a new season
best save was Millwall F.C.. deleted it.. D'Oh..

Well anyways hello, and enjoy your stay at the Base ;)

Next year!

I know this is typical coming from a Liverpool fan, but next year will be our year! This felt like a real kick in the nuts - lost the title on goal difference. I think if Babacar hadn' broken his leg, I'd have taken the title at a stroll.

I know this is typical coming from a Liverpool fan, but next year will be our year! This felt like a real kick in the nuts - lost the title on goal difference. I think if Babacar hadn' broken his leg, I'd have taken the title at a stroll.
i woulda been so ****** of if that happened to me :/
how did next season go?

I've just finished it now, took a break from it as things went a bit pear shaped at the start of the new season. Lots of drama. Babacar picked up from where he left off before the injury, banging them in and setting them up for Sanogo - then something worse than the broken leg happened. He got tapped up by all the big clubs, and decided he wanted to move. I tried to hold onto him for as long as possible, but when he started missing training, I knew it was time to cash in. Teams even drove a hard bargain, so I only got 16.5mill for him, although I did stick in a 50% of next sale clause, so I wouldn't be surprised if I get another 16.5mill via that in a season or two.

Morale plummeted in the team, and we even suffered a shock 5-0 loss to Burnley during the first half of the season. That, coupled with the loss of Babacar, made me change my tactics, and we restored some honour in the second half, going on a decent run of matches.

As it turned out, it was the difference of one game that decided who won the title, I had a 6 point game against Man United, at home - they went 3-1 up before half time, so I feared a massacre. Managed to pull it back to 4-3... But I was still on the losing end. Winning that game would have won me the title. My team is close, I can feel it, this season I'm just going to have to splash the cash, screw the decent net spend!

I'd just like to also point out how bleeding hard this league has turned out to be, I mean, 7th place finished on 70 points! There is realistically 6 teams that can win the title every season! I've also added screen shots for Sanogo and Babacar below. I think it will demonstrate just how much my team will be hurting without him in it.

I'm so sorry that Babacar was behaving bad and good luck!

Hi to everyone following my progress... Well once again, no league title! I think you'll agree that there wasn't much more I could have done... 91 points and only lost three games all season (Liverpool away, Arsenal away, Man United away).

United now have Bale on one wing and Alexis Sanchez on the other, and the rest of their team is like picking a world 11. They lost just ONE game all season (and that was the 38th game). I did, however prove twice that they are beateable, winning the Carling cup final and putting them out in the FA cup semis before winning that too with a 4-0 win over Man City. Despite this monster team, I only finished 2 points behind them.

Normally, this would be the point that I'd say I'm very frustrated... but that would be a lie. Here's why:

And so, there we are then, I fear the end may be getting near for this save, all that is left to to beat my nemesis Man United and claim that final piece of missing silverware - but that isn't going to be easy.

Update on achievements so far:
2010/11 promotion in first place
2011/12 10th in the premier league 54 points
2012/13 8th on 61 points
2013/14 3rd on 77 points (6 off first) Cup double, League Cup and FA Cup winners
2014/15 2nd on 82 points (lost title on GOAL DIFFERENCE)
2015/16 2nd on 79 points (4 off first)
2016/17 2 on 91 points (2 off first) Cup treble, League Cup, FA Cup and Champions League winners

So there it is, incapable of winning the premiership but good enough for the Champions League.

This league season posted below

Ah forgot to add, Sanogo scored 47 goals this season and won almost every award going., he's a **** of a player.