It was the my 22nd birthday and i was down at the local bar with some of the lads getting merry with some of the lads. The local sports channel was on in the background, which we were all keeping a close eye on as it was the draw of the of the second stage of the Premier League. The only present i really wanted for my birthday was an easy group....not that i had a clue what an easy group.

Suddenly a few of the guys started turning towards the TV

"Now we turn our attention to the draw of the second phase of the Indonesian Premier Division"

"The 4 teams that topped the groups would be drawn first, followed by the 4 teams that finished second. There will be 2 groups of 4, with each team playing the other 3 teams in the division once. The top team of each group will progress through to the final, whilst the second team of each division will progress to a 3rd place playoff."

"Group A : Madiun Putra, Mojokerto Putra, Persiba Bantul, Villa 2000"

"Group B :
Persebo, Persijap, PSCS, PSIM"

A few grumbles broke out among the players, saying it was quite a tough group. I honestly didn't have a clue about the quality of the opposition in Group B. The sight of PSIM, was encouraging as we had defeated them in both ties of the cup.

We had 3 days to prepare for the for our first match against PSCS, so i said my farewells and went back to my apartment to preparing a game plan... not the best birthday, but was excited none the less.

View attachment 241351
View attachment 241350

Indonesian Premier League Phase 2

PSCS 0 - 1 Persebo
m
View attachment 241313
The first match of the second phase was away to PSCS. They had won group B, so i knew they were going to be one of our tougher opponents.

As expected the match was pretty even, in a rather uneventful game. The match was dragging along, until the 64th minute when a moment of individual brilliance from Sasongko brought the crowd to its feet... Well the away section anyway which was about 15 people. An audacious lob out wide on the edge of the area, left the keeper absolutely helpless, as he watched it sail over his head. A perfect start to the group, which set us up nicely for the other 2 games.

PSIM 2 - 5 Persebo

View attachment 241312

I think PSIM might be getting sick of the sight of us, as this makes it 3 win out of 3 against them this year, for a combined aggregate of 10 - 2! This match was probably the closest of the 3 games, although the score may not reflect that. Fortunately we took our chances leaving us needing only a draw from the final group game to secure a place in the final!

Persebo 3 - 1 Persijap

View attachment 241299

I was dissapointed to discover only 128 people turned out to watch our final group game, a game which could see us achieve promotion and reach the Premier Division Final!

It was another comfortable victory for us as the fans, players coaches burst into celebration. We had done it. Promotion had been achieved. I fell to my knees in disbelief. I honestly couldn't believe what was happening.

It hadn't even been 5 minutes since the final whistle, when my phone began to ring. It was the chairman. I decided to leave ignore it and get back to celebrating, but i knew i had a big decision on my hands.

Should I stay or should i leave?

I still had the final and the cup to concentrate on, so would make that decision at a later date.

View attachment 241290

View attachment 241296

Indonesian Cup Quarter Final

Persikab 3 - 5 Persebo
bv

View attachment 241273

I thought this was going to be a relatively straight forward tie coming into the match, with the opposition being in the division below but it was far from it. They played fast attacking football and 3 times during the match we found ourselves behind, but each time we managed to equalize. Then with the match poised at 3-3, we finally took the lead and managed to grab a very important 5th goal before the end. It was very unlikely we would lose the tie now.

Persebo 1 - 0 Persikab
nj
View attachment 241272

We knew from the first leg that this wasn't going to be an easy game. Fortunately the result in the first leg, eased the pressure in what can only be described as a labored game. It felt as though both sides had excepted the winner of the tie and were just waiting for the final whistle to make it official. We managed to convert a goal from a corner towards the end to continue our 12 straight game win streak!

We had reached the Semi-Final of the Cup! I couldn't believe it! The draw had been kind and we were yet to play any team in the division above.... until the Semi - Final.

We had been drawn against Indonesian Super League leaders "Persipura". This was going to be a real test of the squads ability

View attachment 241268

View attachment 241246

The big day had finally arrived... The Premier Division Final!

News coverage had grown the Nation seemed split on who would be victorious. One thing everyone did agree on, was that it was going to be a closely contested match between to very even sides.

View attachment 241245

Tickets were on sale at only £4, and a bumper crowd of around 9,000 was expected to attend.

View attachment 241243

Here's how the 2 teams line up for the match. Both managers are sticking to there tried and tested formations and the teams line up exactly as expected from the players available for selection

View attachment 241242

23rd​ Minute – Some good interchange in the oppositions half from Persebo. Assa passes it to Cahyo who beats his man…lays it off to Sasongko he tries to bend that on into the top left corner of the goal…. CROSSSBAR! What an effort from Sasongko, from the edge of the area! What a goal that would have been.

Half Time – Not a very eventful first half here from the , as we are still tied at 0-0. Just the one real opportunity from Persebo to talk about. The game looks perfectly poised going into the second half, with Mojokerto edging the possession with 53%. Lets hope for a better second half!

52nd​ Minute – Gafur dispossesses Widodo on the edge of his own area, an smashes the ball clear up the right flank towards Modong… He gathers the ball around the halfway line and takes the fullback on down the left hand side. A driving run from Modong sees him hit the byline… he digs out a cross… Setyawan is there to meet it with his head GOALLLLL!!! Oh no what’s this the flags gone up! Offside! Wow now that was a close call, but probably the correct one. We remain 0-0.

65th​ Minute – Some more intricate passing from Persebo on the edge of the oppositions area. Modong plays a deft through ball for Cahyo who gets in behind the defence… He gets a shot off from a difficult angle, but the keeper deals with it. Corner to come.

79th​ Minute – Anam signals to the bench that he needs to come off, looks like he is having problems with his thigh. That’s Persebos first choice penalty taker coming off, what a loss he could turn out to be should this match go the distance!

81st​ Minute – Djatmiko takes a throw in on the right hand side to Mawan… he plays a good ball into Setyawan on the edge of the area, who manages to turn the opposition centreback. PENALTY!! Safiesa brings Setyawan down just inside the area! What a decision by the referee! Whos going to step up and take this!

It looks like Arthur Assa is going to be the man to take on the responsibility. He positions the ball on the penalty spot and paces his run up. Whats this? Krisandi has come off his line and begins protesting to the referee, now suddenly half the Mojokerto team are surrounding him. It’s all mind games, trying to put Assa off his kick.

He has had to wait what feels like an eternity but here he is to begin his run up….GOALLLLLLL!!! He must have nerves of steel this lad! Tucks it away in the bottom left hand corner, keeper had no chance! You don’t save those penalties! 1-0. 9 minutes to go.

84th​ Minute – Djatmiko launches a long throw into the area to the feet of Modong, who goes down under pressure from Pranata…. Ref points to the spot PENALTY! Unbelivable the 2nd​ penalty in 3 minutes! Modong looked to go own easy there but he may have just secured his team the premier division title, it Iron Man Assa can convert his second penalty of the afternoon. After some more petulant protesting we can get back to the game
Assa begins his run up… goes bottom left again…. GOALLL!!!! Keeper goes the right way but again can’t get anywhere near it.

The celebrations have already begun on the touchline, the only man not celebrating is manager O’Brien who is relying instructions the team. How can he stay so calm, when everyone else is berserk around him?!?

88th​ Minute – It’s a corner to Persebo. The ball eventually gets cleared up field to Haryone, a counter could be on here. Mojokerto players are rushing forward to support in numbers. The ball makes it way over to the right hand side to an unmarked Sapurto… he shoots….GOALLLL!!! He runs to retrieve the ball! Suddenly Persebo fans go silent! Game on!

FULL TIME!

Persebo manage to hang on in the final minutes of the game! They have done it they are the Premier Division Champions. What an incredible achievement for them. Listed at 5000-1 odds to win the title at the start of the season! I sure hope someone put a few quid on that!

Manager Sean O’Brien falls to his knees in disbelief, before being hoisted into the air by his team and paraded around the stadium! Will he still be the manager next season? That’s the question on eveyones lips here in Indonesia.

View attachment 241239

After the game I attended a brief interview with Joy Sapa from Media Indonesia.

JS - "Sean, how does it feel to stand here having just won the Premier Division?"

SOB - "It feels absolutely incredible, the guys have been outstanding all season and have thoroughly deserved this outcome today. To win a very competitive division in my debut season, with a team ranked complete outsiders, is unbelievable. I am just honored to have been given the opportunity to become a manger, and am delighted the clubs risk paid off!

JS - "As you mentioned, Persebo were given odds of 5000-1 to win the Division! You have defied he odds today with that victory. Are you aware of any lives you may have changed?

SOB - "I know a few of my mates back home stuck a few quid on, so am delighted for them! Will be hoping a few of them give me some of that money, as they will have won more that i earned all season!

JS - "Finally, your contract is set to expire at the end of June, have you made a decision on your future here at Persebo? Im sure everyone associated with Persebo will be hoping you are still the manager come the 1st of July.

SOB - "Well the season isn't quite over for us yet, as we have the Semi-Final of the Cup to come and so am not prepared to make a final decision until our season is finished. I have had a number of discussions with Amin, the clubs chairman, in which i did say I would consider signing a new contract should we get promoted... which we have done! There are still a few other areas within the contract we need to agree on, but should my requests be granted, then I would be delighted to renew my contract with Persebo. Only time will tell.

JS - Ok. Thanks for your time Sean. Good luck in the cup next week.

Pesebo 0 - 1 Persipura

View attachment 240372
After our triumph in the Premier League we went into the first leg full of confidence! Although we were up against the best team in Indonesia this season, as Persipura had just won the Indonesia Super League, so was never going to be an easy game. Unfortunately It wasn't our day as we narrowly lost. I couldn't fault the guys at all, they gave it everything but Persipura just had a bit more quality in front of goal.

Persipura 2 - 1 Persebo
(3 - 1 Agg)

View attachment 240363

Having lost the first leg at home, it was always going to be tough to win the tie. We got off to a fantastic start, scoring from a corner in the 11th minute, which gave us some hope in the tie. Unfortunately they were able to score 2 goals before half time and despite throwing everybody forward, we were unable to change the outcome.

Our incredible come run falls short in the Semi - Finals, but had got much further than anyone had anticipated. It is also encouraging, to come up against some top teams and not feel as though we were outplayed. With the addition of a few players, i am confident Persebo will be competitive next season in the Indonesian Premier League.

View attachment 240358

I soon found out that we had a Third Place Playoff match in 3 weeks time. I didn't really see the point in the game, as it just seemed as though the season was being prolonged alot longer than it should. We would still go into it competitively and hopefully finish 3rd in the Cup

Would this be my last ever game as Persebo Manager?

November

View attachment 911779

We had to settle for a draw in our first home game of the season. We were perhaps the better side on the day but failed to take our chances. We finally got the breakthrough, when a shot of hit the post and deflected in off the keeper. Unfortunately they equalised midway through the second half and we had to settle for 1 point.

View attachment 911782

Arthur Assa made his debut start for the club, scoring a brace and picking up MOTM. It was a debut to remember for him and everyone associated with the club as we comfortable brushed aside Martapura. The bad news was that LB Himawan, suffered a torn hamstring ruling him out for around 3 months.

View attachment 911785

What a match! Although a few stern words were said at full time as we nearly threw the game away in the second half. We were looking comfortable at the break but a lapse in concentration late in the second half gave Persewon a route back into the game.It looked destined to end a draw but a mix up with the keeper and defender, in the last play of the game resulted in an own goal! It was a huge relief for the lads as we nearly threw 2 vital points away.
Looking good.
o.png

***** Padang 3 - 2 Persebo

View attachment 240297

Unfortunately our incredible season ends in defeat. It was a bit of a nothing game, at the end of a long season. We hadn't played a match for 3 weeks and was evident in our play in the first half. Once we were 3-0 down we started to play some decent football, but couldn't quite get the 3rd goal to take it to extra time.

With our season now officially over, it was time for me to make the big decision regarding my future, should I stay or should I leave?

I wouldnt be in your shoes right now.. If there is room to make the squad stronger, its worth a shot in my opinion. :)

View attachment 240160

The season had finally finished, 9 months on from our first match back in October and I could finally look back and reflect on what had unfolded. It had been an incredible debut season, losing only 2 games in the Indonesian Premier Division, as we went all the way to lifting the Premier Division Trophy. We had also gone a lot further than expected in the cup, before being knocked out in the Semi-Finals.

View attachment 240159

View attachment 240158

A win percentage of 71% across 39 games with a goal difference of 61, makes a pretty good read come the end of the season. It is going to be hard to beat those numbers wherever I end up next season! This success ultimately led to me being awarded the Premier Division Manager of the Year! My reputation was on the rise...in Asia at least

Looking back at the season and all that we had achieved, it would feel wrong to leave having just won promotion. There was also no guarantee of finding a better job at this stage. No club had contacted me, I couldn't afford an agent to help secure me work, so would just be down to me applying on a whim with 1 years experience!

So that was it. I had decided to stay on as the Persebo manager for another season... if the board agreed to fund me through my National B coaching license. My requests had previously been rejected, but this was a deal breaker for me as it was the only way I would be able to manage at a higher level in the future!

I e-mailed the chairman to notify him that i was willing to begin discussions into my proposed contract renewal.

View attachment 240155

A meeting was agreed for tomorrow morning at 9am.

I wouldnt be in your shoes right now.. If there is room to make the squad stronger, its worth a shot in my opinion. :)

Yeah the squad is looking in pretty good-shape already, based on some of the cup matches, so if i can bring a few decent players in then i may be able to reach mid-table i reckon.

Go if you can find better job! :)

There is no guarantee that i will find a better job at this stage - so have decided to begin negotiations on a new 1 year contract!

View attachment 240143

"Please, take a seat Sean. We're delighted that you have finally agreed to begin talks over a new contract here at Persebo."

"Me too. It has taken some time, but I have finally decided that Persebo is the right place for me at this stage in my career. We had an incredible season last year and I am eager to see what we can achieve in the Indonesian Super League next season."

"That's great to hear Sean! We can think of no better manager to lead us in our first ever season in the Super League."

"Although before we discuss a new contract, I do have one condition that will need to be met"

"As long as it is feasible, we will be willing to do anything to get you on board. What is the condition?"

"I will need you to fund my through my studies to acquire my National B coaching license. It will make me much more effective on the training ground and am sure the club will soon see the benefits gained from it."

"Sure, we can fund that for you. We will arrange the course straight away for you, in preparation for the new season."

"Great! In that case i am ready to renew my contract."

View attachment 240144View attachment 240142

Last edited:
View attachment 240065

A couple days after i signed a new contract, the chairman informed me that the club had turned Professional! This was great news for everyone involved with Persebo.

It will also enable us to attract higher level players and staff. As well as improving
player development, match fitness and match preparation.

Off-Season

Due to the clubs impressive cup run, the season was very late in finishing. This meant that the transfer window opened just 3 days later on the 1st July, which coincided with the contract expiry date. As we had only been given a small transfer budget of 18k, it was important to take advantage of free agents.

I was looking forward to some time off from work, but knew I would have to move quickly to pick up the best free agents on the market so got to work.

View attachment 239936

Ibrahim -GK

Our first foray into the transfer market was for experienced goalkeeper Ibrahim. He has been signed as a backup keeper, but i will be hoping he can provide competition for first team keeper Haribowo.

Not a massive signing but should be a useful addition to the squad.

Jorge Abdala

Our first major transfer, is for Argentine striker Abdala. He is the first foreign player to join the club, as Super League rules allow 3 foreign players in the squad.

He has decent attributes for this level of football, and will spearhead an already free scoring attacking line. He speaks the language and have hopes for a big season from him.

I was happy with the two early transfers I had made, but had my scouts out scouring for some more additions to the squad. The main positions that required strengthening were now the defense and midfield, particularly LB, CB and CM.

I could now travel back to Craigavon for a couple of weeks to unwind after a long season. Although it wasn't all relaxation, as i still had to study for my National B license, look over various scout reports and deal with transfer bids. This was my life now.

Some good news did arise during my visit home, as my dad mentioned he was good mates with the infamous "Eric Hall" and apparently they went way back. He said he would have a word with him and see if he could help out and become my agent!

View attachment 239899
Will Eric Hall become my agent?

Phone Call from Eric Hall

View attachment 239860

"Hello?"

"Hi there Sean, it's Eric Hall here. Your Dad mentioned you are looking for an agent ?"

"Oh hi Eric. Yes that's right. As my dad may have mentioned, I managed to land a job as head coach of a club out in Indonesia but could really use an agent in the future to help my career progress and my father highly recommended you."

"Yes he did. How the **** did you manage to land that !?!"

"It's a long story, which I will be sure to tell you over a pint sometime...if you can help me out"

"Of course i will, nothing i wouldn't do for the O'Brien family"

"Great! Although I may have a slight problem paying you at the moment..."

"Dont worry about it. I owe your dad a favor from years ago during a trip to Amsterdam involving a vicar, a midget and a window. I will let you know when something comes up.

"What the f**k! "

Too late he had hung up.