My Work on an old Tactic Creating Technique

Legskeattch

Reaction score
So I have been playing Football Manager since the Championship Manager days, but never had amazing success.
I have always followed the big guides by FM Britain, but never ever managed to get my beloved Watford to the heights of Premiership champions. I have just graduated university so had a few months solid play of 2011 and now 2012, so I have had time to perfect my tactics and here is the way i have done this.

I haven’t been on FMBase long, but it has now taken centre stage in the FM Scene, so I am going to show my work and findings on here, just as a thank you to all the great information I have used from you wonderful users.
Well here goes:

I read a way of creating tactics on FMBritain, but this way never really picked up and it was forgotten after a short spell on the Forums, so I am here to resurrect it and have developed it in my own way.
It involves using the non-tactical data in the editor from your favourite manager and developing the stats into a tactic.

So as all of us out there long to re-create Guardiola’s tactics, so my first example is re-creating this.

So…

1. Open up the FM Editor (I used FM2011 editor, just because I cant find the FM2012 one :p )
2. Searched “Guardiola” in the “person” section
3. I copied the “Tactical Attributes” into the Excel Document that will be attached at the end.

View attachment 203502View attachment 203503

That’s it, my excel document works out the tactic based on these figures. Use the managers preferred formation and that’s it!

Although it doesn’t show players individual instructions, if you use one of the “player role calculators” on FMBase you can find out the way each player should play!

The way the tactic is worked out is a simple VLookup table, located on sheet 2.

Attacking = Mentality
Depth = Defensive Line
Determination = Strategy
Directness = Passing
Dirtiness Allowance = Tackling
Flamboyancy = Creativity
Free Roles = Roaming
Marking = Marking Type
Offside = Offside Trap
Pressing = Closing Down
Sitting Back = Time Wasting
Tempo = Tempo
Use of Playmaker = Playmaker
Width = Width
+
Tendencies Tab in the "non-playing data" setion
Target Man
Counter Attack

My Findings

I created the Barcelona tactic, set the players to their preferred roles and set up set pieces and simmed the whole season.

I won the league, Super cup and Semi-Finals of Champions League

If i had played every game, i would have won more, but it was just for purposes of testing.

Heres the little Excel/Open Office File.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9d2ep25k6ofnbkq

************************NEW UPDATE *************************

Tell me what you think!

Last edited:
Would you be able to post a link to the FM-Britain?

I'd like to see what the different attributes mean in terms of tactical settings.

Well the FM-Britain theory was developed on the Classic Style of tactic creation, so i developed mine to incorporate the Tactics Creator. The old Style went like this, (Btw the link has expired to the FM Britain one)

The old version was made to match the number with the amount of notches on the tactic, so 19 attacking would mean 19 notches on the mentality. On my version the notches refer to the different drop down option e.g. 19 attacking would be Very Fluid, whereas 6 attacking would be Rigid

Attacking = Mentality
Depth = Defensive Line (In reverse so 16 for depth would in fact be 5 notches)
Directness = Passing Style
Dirtiness Allowance = Tackling
Flamboyance = Creativity
Free Roles = Roaming (Originally this was the tick box "Free Roles", now its the amount of roaming
Marking = Marking
Offside Trap = Offside Trap
Pressing = Closing Down
Sitting Back = Time Wasting
Tempo = Tempo
Use of Playmaker = The tick box of playmaker
Width = Width

Some of these transfer to the notches, i.e. Width, Tempo, Defensive Line and Time Wasting.

A more Detailed description can be by looking at sheet two on my excel form, you can see what everything transfers too

Last edited:
Very Interesting. I see that you have the strategies (Attacking, Counter, Overload etc.) on Sheet 2 but they do not appear on Sheet 1. Is that how it is meant to be?

I was testing the strategies, and left them on sheet 2, i haven't arrived at conclusive evidence to prove that selecting the strategy works.... Needs more testing :p

But as you may see, the rest works like a dream!

I like the theory, i'd be interested to see how this works out with other managers, expecially with some of the older ways of playing say Johan's total football,

I might have a go at mixing two managers styles, think it would pay off taking saying the attacking stats of a Premiership manager with a style of an Italian defence? Or just then again i could just pick Mancini style... lol. i

'll have a butchers see what i can come up with.

Yeah nice one mate....Report back with your findings!

Im trying it with a lower team - Bolton!

1. Download my excel document
2. open up the editor
3. Find your favourite manager or team
4. copy there "tactical Attributes" into the excel document
5. Use the preffered formation of your team or manager
6. Use a "player role calculator" and find out the best position for each player

I don't suppose you could post a link to a site where I can get a free trial of Microsoft Office, just I've looked for an hour for a free trial version and I can't find one. Just I would love to try your tactic technique! Thanks!

Would it not work with OpenOffice? You could try it, it is free.

i understand how you choose from balanced, fluid, very fluid etc.... but how you know when you have to choose attacking, counter, standard, control?

Apologise for the late reply...

Well i was doing some testing on determination and strategy to see if they were linked... and im still testing lol some evidence has shown it too work, some hasnt, but ill crack it soon enough!

Thank you for the feedback... Yes that sitting back theory is worth looking at... But are time wasting and counter attacking linked?

It would seem not. My last 3 games with counter-attack on have been 2 losses and a draw albeit away to Bayern and Chelsea and at home to Hannover