Lukesxs

Reaction score
Napoli - My Way (Updated with New Tactic)

Having been brought up on english football, i've always believed in 4 at the back with traditional strong Centre Backs and Flying fullbacks with the team playing fast with counter attcking wingers wipping balls into the box with a Big Man/Little Man Combo putting them away. However recently i've started to enjoy a more european style of football with the same fast counter attacking football but playing it short and through the middle. Now to Napoli, Having watched them play Chelsea in the champions league (admitingly just to watch chelsea lose) first leg with the trinity of Hamsik, Lavezzi and Cavani showing how a fast buildup and movement of the ball created a style of play which promoted chances and more importantly goals. However not the same can be said about there defence, playing with 3CB at the back with a flat 4 in midfield and a CF and 2 ST.

View attachment 234909

They are often left vulnerable at the back especially with the 3 CB of Napoli not being known for having an abundance of pace which means if Napoli do get caught on the counter attack, They often are unable to cover the space being left beind the Wide-Midfielders. Thats where my 5-3-2 comes into play, They still have the same lightning fast attack which allows plenty of goals (Top Scorers in Seria A despite slow start with 86, 16 more than 2nd top scorers Inter ) yet not concede at the back being the 3rd best defence conceding only 25 with Milan who had the best defence conceding 5 less than my napoli but scored 28 less.

View attachment 234910View attachment 234911

As you could therefore guess i won Seria A by 9 points as well as winning the Champions League against Barcelona 2-0 in the final despite being underdogs.

View attachment 234912

The 5 at the back are based on a Liberio acting as sweeper and launching the counter attacks with a strong stopper at Limited Defender and a Stylish Cb at BPD who both split to allow Libero through as wll as covering WB Positions. They aloso provide a large threat in the oppostion's box from set pieces contributing 15 goals.We then have two WB's launching forwards to either get to Byline cuttinh the ball back or drivong inside the Strikers for a shot on goal ( My WB's contributed 16 goals in all comps this way)

The 3 In Midfield all have a set role.The lynchpin in Inler playing as DLP cover the LWB position as well as providing short simple passes to Hamsik and Lavezzi to do their thing. Hamsik has been given a free role at AP and contibutes well with goals and plenty of assists. Lavezzi as IF does similar and Cuts Inside the space between the AP and the Poacher who stretches play.

The 2 Up front are your main goal getters, getting the majority of your goals but also assisting directly with cavani holding up and laying the ball off or cutting it back. Doumbia's role as Poacher is to finish his chances and little else, He stretches play well and allows space for Hamsik and Lavezzi to move into to run at the opposition.

View attachment 234913

Here's some of my best results

View attachment 234914View attachment 234915View attachment 234916View attachment 234917View attachment 234918View attachment 234919View attachment 234920View attachment 234921 I will put up tactic for you to test once it's been moderated Key player stats View attachment 234924View attachment 234927 View attachment 234931 View attachment 234929View attachment 234928 View attachment 234926View attachment 234935View attachment 234923View attachment 234930View attachment 234933 View attachment 234934 Nene played LWB after training View attachment 234925

*************UPDATE*************
5-2-3 Control - Downloads - Football Manager 2012 Tactics, Wonderkids & Cheats

To test this again i tried it with tottenham but results were not going so well so i tweaked the tactic to a more control setting and not as attacking tactic like the previous. I finished 4th after changing tactic after lying in 12th place. I later went on to win the FA Cup and the Europa League against the team the tactic was initiallyu based on Napoli (It worked against them by exploiting a flat back 3 so i was right to change the tactic initially)

View attachment 235406 View attachment 235407

View attachment 235405

The Tactic proved to be consistent with me scoring 4 goals 3 times against West Brom

View attachment 235400 Europa League

View attachment 235401 FA CUP

Other Results

View attachment 235395View attachment 235404View attachment 235398View attachment 235397View attachment 235402View attachment 235399View attachment 235396View attachment 235403

Last edited:
Just wondering do you think this would work with any other team apart from Napoli ?

I was looking at tottenham as next to try. They have two strong fast wing backs in Bale and Walker which is key and 3 strong CBS in King and Dawson with Gallas as Sw . Possibly Sandro and Modric at Cm with VDV Am and Defoe Adebayir striker.

The key is basicily the defence has to be solid as this is from which the attacks are built on as ut does not matter if your scoring 2-4 goals a match if your conceding 5. If you have that and a decent forward line you will be fine

I forgot to mention something key in the OP

Your Inside forward should be cutting inside on to there favoured foot if it is a right footed IF leave the tactic as it is. However if your IF is Left footed then you have to put Him at AMCR but you have to swap Your poacher as Left Striker and Advanced forward as Right striker. Same applies to CM so DLP and AP swap places so there should be a gap between your Advanced playmaker and Poacher for your IF to run into

match preparation? i'm trying with fiorentina...not perfect players but i have good result so far;)

Sorry I have it on minimum pitch dimension with very hard teamwork during preseason then down to low for season on attacking movement

no i leave the OI to my Assistant Manager and don't bother with shouts

I was looking at tottenham as next to try. They have two strong fast wing backs in Bale and Walker which is key and 3 strong CBS in King and Dawson with Gallas as Sw . Possibly Sandro and Modric at Cm with VDV Am and Defoe Adebayir striker.

The key is basicily the defence has to be solid as this is from which the attacks are built on as ut does not matter if your scoring 2-4 goals a match if your conceding 5. If you have that and a decent forward line you will be fine

I had a similar tactic to this with Spurs last year, and it worked really well, Bale's great at Wing Back and they have an abundance of centre halves and good midfielders :)
Looks a good tactic as a whole!

yeah i'm currently testing the tactic with spurs, had to up the tempo to make it more direct to combat the more defefensive formations in The Premiership against the 4-3-3's and 4-2-3-1 tactics. Struggled at 1st to get my strikers scoring so brought in Doumbia and Nilmar and are comftably 5th and making a push at 4th spot and even 3rd

Just gave this tactic a go with spurs and i must say this tactic is quality!

cheers pal going to upload my v2 once it gets moderated, whats your results like

Well i didnt make any transfers at all and i must say this gets the best out of Gareth bale having spectacular results

such as: solid 2-0 win over arsenal and destroyed Fulham 5-0 aand beat chelsea 3-1

sorry u mean that u don't use opposit instructions( OI) or u use wuth your assistant manager? becouse don't seems to work for me using opposit instructions...aniway waiting for your update;)