LBond1

Reaction score
As a West Ham fan I always start my FM careers with them, however I'm not the best at making tactics.

I want to build a tactic to utilize our aerial threat and forge an in-game partnership with Andy Carroll & Kevin Nolan, much like they have in real life. Anyone that has watched them play together for Newcastle or West Ham will know exactly what I mean.

Here's what I have so far:

View attachment 463716

I bought Jedinak, who when playing in the LCM position currently occupied by Diame, plays the ball winning midfielder role.

I thought a shadow striker and target man combo could be very effective and realistic, so far it seems to be working. The only player instructions I use for this position are that I tell Nolan to dribble less when playing there and Morrison to dribble more. I have also told my wingers to aim their crosses at the target man. Apart from that I'm not currently using any other player instructions.

View attachment 463715

As you can see my results (and performances) in pre season were very positive but as soon as the season started the results weren't as i expected, I know its early days but I cant help but feel the tactic could do with some altering. I'm currently training defending and defending set pieces.

Feel free to suggest any changes in team instructions, player roles or formation (although I would prefer to keep the current 4231 formation)

Last edited:
On every single thread I start if i mention the words 'West Ham' no one ever wants to help me out..

The major thing I would change /remove is the exploit flanks since there is no real need to push up the wingers even more, risking the formation to become 2 blocks without enough movement between them. For me, it's a better instruction when using MR/L

The major thing I would change /remove is the exploit flanks since there is no real need to push up the wingers even more, risking the formation to become 2 blocks without enough movement between them. For me, it's a better instruction when using MR/L

Thanks for the advice.

However I've decided to start my save again as I couldn't win a game and wasn't enjoying it in the slightest.

What do you think of these tactics?

View attachment 463515View attachment 463514

I have started my season with the beloved hammers, I' m using the same two formations. My problem is that when we get in the box my players can't shoot on target. I have have started the season with the first transfer window shut.

I have started my season with the beloved hammers, I' m using the same two formations. My problem is that when we get in the box my players can't shoot on target. I have have started the season with the first transfer window shut.

Sounds a lot like real life then! You start with no transfer budget anyway, all I did was re sign Carlton Cole.

How's your season going?

Just about to finish pre season. Lost one and drew one. Will paste a pic in a bit.

always been an admirer of Sam Allardyce teams, when the demo comes out on thursday I'll try and create a West Ham Tactic

Let me know how it goes mate, I'm truly awful at making tactics.

with regards to the 4-2-3-1 playing an AP and BBM, will leave you to open in the midfield imo, but it depends on the player instructions, I'd possibly recommend a dlp (defend) instead of the AP

Thanks i will try dlp instead. when you have the tactic for west ham please let me know, i would like to trial it

Try a 4231 deep, attacking strategy, it worked for me with FM13 ( yes, I know the ME changed but concepts of the instructions are the same) in portuguese lower league and with Everton (5th and 4th in premier league)

Try a 4231 deep, attacking strategy, it worked for me with FM13 ( yes, I know the ME changed but concepts of the instructions are the same) in portuguese lower league and with Everton (5th and 4th in premier league)

I'll give that a go, what player roles would you recommend?

i think there must be a bug or something. i have my wingers set to stay wide and hit early crosses and yet im not seeing any. they are always cutting inside and shooting.

I'll give that a go, what player roles would you recommend?

2 FB supporting, 1 central defending, 1 central blocking, 1 CJR supporting, 1 DM supporting, 1 trequartista (pressing half not full), 2 wingers attacking, 1 striker.

i think there must be a bug or something. i have my wingers set to stay wide and hit early crosses and yet im not seeing any. they are always cutting inside and shooting.

There are a lot of bugs. For instance, inside forwards are behaving like wingers