All guesswork and generalisations. He wouldn't be playing a sensible passing game because everyone is bombing forward. The sensible passing would have come from choosing more sensible duties and the default short passing that the forward players have anyway.

Many attacking duties has nothing to do with counter. He can counter with a team full of Support duties too. I've explained this so many times, that counter immediately sets mentality to the max in a counter situation, for instance, so even support duties will bomb forward. When there's no counter, they'll play sensibly. You're trying to force a counter even when there's none on. All that'll happen is that you run into a brick wall. The front 3 will just go and sit on top of the D-Line. The only thing that'll save this tactic from being an even bigger disaster, is that the CM/A players won't push up as much as they should because their space has been taken by the front 3.

Why you'd go lower than the default lowish closing down, fairly narrow, lowish tempo game by closing down less and playing at an ever lower tempo, doesn't make sense. Especially when you don't know the players and you've not even seen it in action. Then, playing even narrower will compress your attacking 5 players all on top of each other even more. Simple to defend against.

Well, there is a difference between defend and counter mentalites. Defend should be played with support duties, and it also does counters. Counter mentality is made for exactly that, countering. You play structured so your players are encouraged to stick to positions and keep team shape. Which is what less agressive mentality stands for, defending. You are dropping deep to invite opposition forward, which is why your forwards play shorter passing, and and you play narrower since you don't want to be stretched in your own half. And of course you setup your team to help you counter with counter mentality, you aren't playing control.

You can disagree all you want. I watch football, you don't. If that's the perfect setup for a 451, then I am saddened that you believe that.

I'm saddened you haven't learned much by watching football.

View attachment 257769

This is another way to setup a counter tactic, with a fluid team shape. This is what Barcelona used to use. It's basically the same, except of course player roles and duties, and defense distribution. This is no longer a pure counter attack style, this is play through defence style.

Last edited:
Well, there is a difference between defend and counter mentalites. Defend should be played with support duties, and it also does counters. Counter mentality is made for exactly that, countering. You play structured so your players are encouraged to stick to positions and keep team shape. Which is what less agressive mentality stands for, defending. You are dropping deep to invite opposition forward, which is why your forwards play shorter passing, and and you play narrower since you don't want to be stretched in your own half. And of course you setup your team to help you counter with counter mentality, you aren't playing control.

It is already deep and narrow because of the mentality. Read my post again, I can't explain this every time. You can play however you want. Cleon, for instance, has used a 343 on Defend mentality it was quite attacking.

You continue with the **** tactics. I'm done now.

It is already deep and narrow because of the mentality. Read my post again, I can't explain this every time. You can play however you want. Cleon, for instance, has used a 343 on Defend mentality it was quite attacking.

You continue with the **** tactics. I'm done now.

Good night lad. Sleep well.