cthuerter

Reaction score
I apologize if anyone has posted this tactic before but I haven't seen it anywhere.

I've tried various corner setups including the lurk (obvious exploit), near post, single man on far post (also an exploit in my opinion because 75% of the time your man gets a free shot on goal), etc and haven't really been satisfied with any of them. It seems you either have to exploit the ME or live with corner tactics that only bring a goal every 8-10 games.

While toying around I discovered a new corner tactic that involves playing the ball short. My team looks a lot more dangerous off corners now and usually nets a goal, hits the woodwork, or forces a goal line clearance at least once a game. They seem to score off a corner about once every 3-4 games which seems like a realistic ratio. Also in my admittedly limited testing I think that the more your jumping/strength/physical advantage is over the other team, the better your results will be - which is how it should be, rather than the total crapshoot that most corner tactics are. The nice thing is, you don't need the best corner takers for this to work, just a good crosser.

This is the set up:
2 men back
2 best jumpers/headers/strength on challenge keeper (usually your CBs)
With the next 2 best, one stands on far post and one does near post flick
1 man attacks far post
1 man lurking to pick up cleared balls - good first touch/long shots helps
And of course, 1 man taking the corner

The player with the best crossing/passing/technique will offer the short option, and corners should be set to short. What should happen is the corner taker taps the ball to him and he immediately crosses it into the box. For some reason the accuracy is higher than straight off a corner so one of your players usually has a decent chance of connecting with it.

Sometimes the AI sends a man to cover the short option in which case your taker will deliver it like a normal corner somewhere in the box. Also for some reason, occasionally the taker will ignore the tactical instructions and won't play it short, so you should still pick someone with good technical stats as the taker. Anyways good luck with this and post your results here.

single man on far post (also an exploit in my opinion because 75% of the time your man gets a free shot on goal)
This is not an exploit, I mean they use this in RL so are they exploiting?? And you will get shoot on goal many times only if your jumper has higher jumping stats then his marker.

Also for some reason, occasionally the taker will ignore the tactical instructions and won't play it short, so you should still pick someone with good technical stats as the taker.

He doesn't need good technical stats, all he needs in that case is DECISIONS.

How is the lurk an exploit? I use lurk outside box with a good long shot player but very rarely score from corners.

How is the lurk an exploit? I use lurk outside box with a good long shot player but very rarely score from corners.

The game works funnily. I had VDV lurk who had 19 long shots attribute but he scored rarely from there. Now I am using Rooney who has a much lesser long-shots stat, but I am scoring close to 1 goal/game with him. I guess the PPM shoots with power helps ;)

Also, the ability of the corner taker is important. I would go for Corners, Crossing and Technique apart from the mental stats for a corner taker. The lurker needs to get the ball ASAP and then shoot ASAP. Otherwise the opposition will close him down and the opportunity is lost.

So basically you have to get it tactically correct to score from a corner, much like winning a game with setting tactics anyway? :S

Well, yes. Otherwise it will be an exploit, no? ;)

BTW, have enough players inside the box in appropriate positions so that the defenders need to mark them. Otherwise, a free defender will come and close down your lurker :p

Thats alright then aha!
Although I would like to see a defending corners option of closing down a lurker, or hovering on edge of box.

Maybe they do it automatically? Anyway, here is a list of attacking corner positions that my players take (4-1-2-1-2 Control by Dan):

DL: Challenge Keeper
DR: Challenge Keeper
CB (both): Attack Far Post
DMC: Stay back
MCl: Stay back
MCr: Near Post flick on
AMC: Go forward (he actually takes the kick)
FC: Lurk Outside Area (Rooney usually)
FC: Near post flick on

Don't forget to mix it sometimes...if you always do it, the AI may catch on to it. I don't know how this happens, but mixing it a few times helps :)

Last edited:
I use FB's stay back, CB challenge keeper, both CM to lurk, and strikers to each post.

Why are you using two players to lurk? If one of them can't get a clear shot, the other one won't either. IMO, it would be better to send one of them into the box so that the defenders have to stay back. It works very well for me.

Will give it a go and see if i score anymore, counter attacking is where i concede the most, so im thinking of telling one to stay back with the others.

Hmm...try it both ways. If you can score without telling one of your lurkers to go forward, well and good. Otherwise, you will have to send him forward. As per my experience, the success of this strategy depends upon no defender coming out to close down your lurker. After that, your lurker has to shoot properly and quickly. I have Rooney, who have you got for that role?

Hamsik / Aquilani / Gerrard << Gerrard takes corners from the right. Sometimes Shelvey when hes playing, lower on long shots but has netted more than the others from corners.

Can't you find someone to replace Gerrard for corner taking? He seems perfect material for shooting from that range. I would give it a try at least. If he can bang in 15 goals a season, it will be worth it, no? :D

This is not an exploit, I mean they use this in RL so are they exploiting?? And you will get shoot on goal many times only if your jumper has higher jumping stats then his marker.
I'm talking about how it works in the ME, just because teams do it RL doesn't mean it is implemented in the game perfectly. I was getting around a goal every other game with a far post tactic, do you think it's at all realistic for your main CB to finish the season with 20 goals in 40 games? That's more than almost any midfielder and most strikers.

IRL most teams send 6 men to attack from deep with a mixed delivery. If this actually worked in game and gave a decent return of a goal every 3-4 games (and from DIFFERENT players, not always the SAME player which I think is a clear sign of an exploit) then it is exactly what I would use.

Will give it a go and see if i score anymore, counter attacking is where i concede the most, so im thinking of telling one to stay back with the others.
I don't think I have conceded any off counters with this tactic during normal game play, the only problem is late when the AI is chasing a match and starts keeping 3 men forward. There's no real way to compensate for that though without setting more players to back or stay back if needed which kills the attacking potency overall.

What a tactic... 10 corners in 1 game and none of them scored... All the people who go forward are like 194> and are good @ heading...

I would call it an exploit since no one but scholes would only successfully pull it off in real life, however i have a 16 year old midfielder scoring hat tricks using this.

And usually the player at the edge of the box will still have someone marking you, scholesy doesnt always just stand on the edge of the penalty box, he runs up to the box or is set up by another player.

So all and all, it is an exploit.

Well, actually lurk outside is just a smart tactic, or it would be smart in rl, but using it just ruins the fun of the game...

Well, actually lurk outside is just a smart tactic, or it would be smart in rl, but using it just ruins the fun of the game...

It is smart but not very effective in real life. however the extreme opposite in fm (H)

And it ruins the fun of the game because......its an exploit that guarantees goals!

Would you say the same about the "perfect" tactics?