new rules for fa cup

Reaction score
did anyone see in the paper today about the proposed shake-up of the fa cup

Basically they want to change the rules because they dont think teams take the competition seriously any more.

Changes were:
Teams would be seeded like in the carling cup
Final moved to a 5:30 kick-off instead of traditional 3pm
Replays will be scrapped
More midweek matches

They reckon it will be for 2012-2013 seasons competition however some rules may be trialled as early as next year.

Anyone else completely against these changes

ain't heard this, what's your source?

You can't change the traditions of the FA cup, there would be uproar.

If the 3 out of the 4 changes happened except the kick off time, its practically the same as the League Cup.

Stupid idea!

News of the World... Sigh :S

if anything id be improving the league cup because no one is interested in it until the semi-finals

if anything id be improving the league cup because no one is interested in it until the semi-finals

good point, however i wouldn't say "no one" is interested, a **** of a lot of teams are interested in the league cup, its mainly top teams that aren't.

like ourselves are off to Wembley this month, you won't find Eck saying he's not interested,

and i think this time you won't find Arsene playing it down either!

Everyone takes the FA Cup seriously. It is the greatest domestic knockout competition on the planet.

Still, NoTW isn't the most reliable source, and it has not been on SSN or anything.

Would be great to remove the replays.
I always forget to watch them, and I wouldn't be surprised if others do too.

could improve the fa cup by having lower teams drawing higher teams in 3rd and forth

If anything that would lower interest in the cup. At the minute, because the rounds have their own weekends, they can't be ignored. If it becomes a midweek cup, teams would just rest players and attendances would decrease.

If anything that would lower interest in the cup. At the minute, because the rounds have their own weekends, they can't be ignored. If it becomes a midweek cup, teams would just rest players and attendances would decrease.

exactly whats happened with the league cup

I'd keep it exactly the same ****** way!

Although, the only one thing i would change is something like this, like they do in Germany:-

Manchester United Vs Barnet
Manchester City Vs Derby
Chelsea Vs Aldershot

As you can see, Barnet, Derby and Aldershot have been handed tough trips to top premier league ties, how ever, if it was drawn like this, i would have the Lower League team ALWAYS at home, to generate alot of money for the smaller club.

Getting rid of replays would be good for FM, but **** in real life! :(

I'd keep it exactly the same ****** way!

Although, the only one thing i would change is something like this, like they do in Germany:-

Manchester United Vs Barnet
Manchester City Vs Derby
Chelsea Vs Aldershot

As you can see, Barnet, Derby and Aldershot have been handed tough trips to top premier league ties, how ever, if it was drawn like this, i would have the Lower League team ALWAYS at home, to generate alot of money for the smaller club.

That ruins the entire magic of the FA cup draw!

Also smaller teams would earn more money being drawn away at a big stadium as they get half the ticket money...

probably will never happen but i think it would be interesting to see regional draws so all teams in yorkshire would be drawn against each other and all the teams in London play each other etc.

Where did you see this?
The only "shake up" I've heard recently is the winners going into the very first stage of qualifiers for the Champions League, to make teams take it serious.