New too FM its my 1st ever campaign story PLEASE HELP.!

UTVsotc

Reaction score
Hello all,

i played CM many years ago but have never played football manager before and as im not working at presents my mate recommended getting into FM2010, as i havent got a clue what im doing he advised me to join this site as you guy's would be able to help me with all my FM needs, so i decided to join and put my story on here so you guys can follow how my 1st campaign goes and can assist me along the way as much needed help is required..!

for my 1st ever game iv decided to be the club i support Aston Villa.

the 1st thing i did as look around the forums before i started and seen a fellow villa manager had changed his assistant manager to Brain Mclair from Man U so my 1st job in charge i decided to do the same and have just offered him a contract. But now im stuck at what to do next?? As im new im going to play a normal 4-4-2 formation as im not to grips with tactics ect and looking at my team i think i need a striker and my assistant is saying to strengthen my midfield, you probably all ready no my transfer budget is very poor at 2.7 million so looks like i need to sell before i can buy. i was looking at offloading GARDNER , HAREWOOD , HESKEY would i be right to do this??
iv looked around the market and noticed BECKHAM , VAN DER VART , GUTI , RONALDO are avalible on the cheap so was thinking on bringin 2 of them in but which 2 do i try and sign or are there any other middfielders/strikers that will do the business for me????

PLEASE HELP me get started and i will continue posting my story so you can carry on offering me advice.!

Thanks Mikey

Loan Harewood out, Loan Gardener out and sell Heskey for about 3mill
try and get another backup keeper too.

No need to insult him, no ones perfect.

Least of all a guy who has such an inspired username as 'justwannadl'.

Good luck with your Villa adventure man, I bought Becks for my Spurs side, as well as Ruud van Nistlerooy. Only four games in but they look promising, and they're cheap.

For Villa, I reckon you need a strong holding midfielder, so look out for someone like Palacios.

Thanks for the help guy's heres some screen shots of how things are going :-

UTVsotc, just ignore the idiotic person who insulted you. Your doing pretty good for a beginner if im honest only slight changes i would make to your team i would play re coker for the holding mid area where delph is playing. I feel delph is still developing and very lightweight and playing sidwell next to him whos a very attacking player i would guess some of reo coker's qualities would work well for your team.

UTVsotc, just ignore the idiotic person who insulted you. Your doing pretty good for a beginner if im honest only slight changes i would make to your team i would play re coker for the holding mid area where delph is playing. I feel delph is still developing and very lightweight and playing sidwell next to him whos a very attacking player i would guess some of reo coker's qualities would work well for your team.

dont worry i am ignoring the insults mate ones a bluenose so think there might be a spot of jealousy in the camp.....

Thanks for the heads up iv just been rotating my midfield pairing between the 4 starting which ever 2 have been on the best form. i have only realy played Delph mind in cup games and 1 or 2 prem games due to his age and he seems to have done a good job so far. If i do play NRC as you say wound i be better off setting him to defend or just leave him as support as Delph is now?

i will post some more screen shots in a few more game's

yeah really insulting someones name? pretty sad if you ask me, anyway your doing good, wouldnt have sold friedel but its your story not mine

dont worry i am ignoring the insults mate ones a bluenose so think there might be a spot of jealousy in the camp.....

Thanks for the heads up iv just been rotating my midfield pairing between the 4 starting which ever 2 have been on the best form. i have only realy played Delph mind in cup games and 1 or 2 prem games due to his age and he seems to have done a good job so far. If i do play NRC as you say wound i be better off setting him to defend or just leave him as support as Delph is now?

i will post some more screen shots in a few more game's

Yh spot on mate, For NRC i would use central midfielder with a support role basically the same for kacar for me with my Arsenal save. His player instructions should be little creative freedom, passing mixed, closing down whole pitch, tackling normal.

A support role just means he plays a part in 'Everything' defensively and offensively and a defend role just means defend your much better off with a support role mate:).

Last edited:
yeah really insulting someones name? pretty sad if you ask me, anyway your doing good, wouldnt have sold friedel but its your story not mine

regreat selling Friedal but ut had no choice as barcelona came in for him i reject it but he then became unhappy and wanted to leave so he had to go. the keeper i got in Vilar has some good stats but hes not doing that great and has had some very low ratings. I think a new keeper and a midfielder is essential come jan if i get some extra funds. any you no of that i can check out???

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

Yh spot on mate, For NRC i would use central midfielder with a support role basically the same for kacar for me with my Arsenal save. His player instructions should be little creative freedom, passing mixed, closing down whole pitch, tackling normal.

A support role just means he plays a part in 'Everything' defensively and offensively and a defend role just means defend your much better off with a support role mate:).

cheers mate ill give it a try whats that Kacar like have got my scouts following him i like the look of his stats and might try and sign him when i got some funds

WEST HAM ARE TOP.

YEEEEEEEEEEES!

On topic, you've had a good start to the season, some good buys there and a nice loan deal. Good luck.

iv just reached December and im very pleased with how things have gone so far. iv had slight dip in form over the past 3 matches but im not worried and am hoping to turn thing around quickly and have a good Christmas period so im in good shape going into the new year and can hopefully push on for a European spot come the end of the season. to help me with this Randy has increased my transfer budget and i now have 12m to strengthen in Jan....So who do i buy guy's??

I think i could do with a good solid RB , a good strong CM/DM and maybe a potent goalscorer. i think a signing in 1 or 2 of these positions could really help me progress on my European charge!

screen shots of progress attached and a couple of some targets im looking at please advice as normal

i say this to everyone, try chinedum onouha from city, hes an animal and i think he could play with dunne at the back. just an opinion though do what you want

When January comes take a look around the premier league players that have been preforming well with high average rating and the top goal scorers.

I´d suggest Guillaume Hoarau as striker he´s not bad. Anyukov and Kacar have class, eboue is kinda meh though. (Don´t rely on scout reports too much, especially when the scouts have low reputation)

Almost have way into Feb and thing are still going very well. decide not to spend the extra money i was given for the jan window in the end apart from Millito on loan and Deco on the cheap, i no hes prob 2 years the wrong side of 30 but hopefully he will add a bit of experience to my side for the final push of the season. also Beckhams arrived after his contract at the galaxy expired..!