Newcastle United - Managing My Beloved

What tactics do you use to back up the 4-2-3-1 as it seems to work no matter who you play as? Do you have specific tactics to back it up, set pieces set up etc? I don't think I have had a game where a striker has scored a ton of goals!

I dont have any backup tactics whatsoever. I may change to time wasting or whatever if it is a huge game and I have an advantage but other than that I just put my faith in the trusted 4-2-3-1. I try and buy players that fit the way I want to play and in this save I still dont have it as I prefer to have ball playing CBs but Lascelles and Nunez arent that.

I think Barca's antics are a perfect representation of their inevitable post-Messi era and so I wouldn't be too upset if they were desperately gunning for a replacement!

Just look at how they acted with Martin Braithwaite! Also, how do you normally go about selling players? Do you offer them out to clubs or just tell your DoF to offload them?

Well they failed here lol. Until January anyway. I offer players out and if I get a ridiculously low fee I offer out again with a reasonable price. If nothing happens I may loan them out for a fee and to cover wages but I tend to wait and offer out again in a few weeks and you tend to get decent fees again. For instance for Schar I got offered £12m - then nothing but I waited a month and got £30m for him.

1592341548551.png

Andy Cunningham
1930-35

Fellow Scotsman Frank Watt managed the club for 37 years and his replacement was actually a player manager in Cunningham although he only played 15 times for the club after his move from Kilmarnock although he made his name at Rangers. He won the FA Cup with Newcastle before later managing Dundee.

SEPTEMBER

fulham.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Mbabu, Lascelles, Nunez, Willems, Tonali (Reyna), Ceballos (S.Longstaff), Chiesa (Everton), Havertz, Saint-Maximin*, Edouard

Excellent. Another 2 goals for Edouard and its now 12 goals in 6 games this season. Saint-Maximin weighed in with a double too and we hit the woodwork a few times to boot. Havertz picked up an assist but I expect him to score a few goals.

--

UEFA Champions League Group G
lyon.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Mbabu, Lascelles, Nunez, Willems (Hickey), Tonali, Ceballos, Saint-Maximin, Havertz, Everton (Dembele), Kaio Jorge (Gouiri)

We were rocked before the match as Edouard got injured in training and is out for a few weeks and will miss his first league game in over 2 seasons. This was Champions League duty however and we were ****. Just as well we have an easy group. Everton started his first game of the season and surprise surprise he was diabolical.

--

wolves.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Mbabu (Matheson), Lascelles, Nunez, Hickey, Tonali (S.longstaff), Ceballos, Chiesa*, Havertz, Saint-Maximin, Kaio Jorge (Gouiri)

Who needs Odsonne Edouard? Well we did in the last match lol but we were excellent here. Havertz got his first goal for the club, Chiesa got a double and Matheson got his debut.

--

Carabao Cup 3rd Round
cfield.png

Lineup
- Woodman, Matheson, Stergiou (Pankov), Costa, Hickey, S.Longstaff (M.Longstaff), Bellingham, Dembele, Reyna*, Everton, Kaio Jorge (Gouiri)

The goals keep on coming. This time it was my youthful backup side that did the damage against League 2 Chesterfield. Matheson arrowed in a shot into the top corner from the edge of the area, Reyna crashed in a free-kick, Dembele tapped in a 3rd while Pankov and Gouiri came off the bench to score their first goals for us.

--

pool.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Mbabu*, Lascelles, Nunez, Willems, Tonali, Ceballos (Reyna), Chiesa, Havertz, Saint-Maximin (Dembele), Kaio Jorge (Gouiri)

Get in!!!!! This was 1st v 2nd and both teams had a 100% record but we deservedly won the match thanks to a goal from Mbabu. Kaio Jorge had one goal disallowed early doors but we neednt have worried.

--

cska.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Mbabu, Stergiou, Costa, Hickey, S.Longstaff*, Bellingham (M.Longstaff), Dembele, Reyna, Everton, Kaio Jorge (Gouiri)

Having lost our first match in the group I decided to take a risk and play a weakened side for our 2nd match and fortunately it paid off. We should have won by 5 or 6 in truth and Kaio Jorge missed a penalty but we got the win and thats the main thing.

--

SUMMARY

Our magnificent start to the season continued again this month with just the one blot in the copy book. In the league we hit Fulham for 5 and Wolves for 4 before beating Liverpool 1-0 to take a 3pt lead at the top of the table. We really are on fire and considering we were denied the services of Odsonne Edouard after the Fulham game it has been really impressive.

My first team however lost out away to Lyon 1-0 in a poor performance but my backups made amends against CSKA Moscow with Sean Longstaff bagging 2 in a 3-0 win while in the Carabao Cup my youngsters thumped Chesterfield 5-0 to set up a tie at home to Leicester City.

Everything is going great!!!!

Oh and in the league Sheffield United thumped Arsenal 6-0!!!!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
KEVIN MBABU
mbabu.png

--

PREMIER LEAGUE
sep.png

1592395224352.png

Tom Mather
1935-39

Mather is perhaps most famous for giving a debut to Sir Stanley Matthews while in charge at Stoke City. Apparently he tried to sign him for Newcastle but it was not to be. He managed the club until the outbreak of the 2nd World War.

OCTOBER

spurs.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Mbabu, Lascelles, Nunez (Stergiou), Willems, Tonali, Ceballos (S.Longstaff), Chiesa (Everton), Havertz, Saint-Maximin, Edouard

The run keeps on going! Odsonne Edouard returned to the side after being out with an injury and although he wasnt fully match fit he still got a goal. A very good away victory.

--

chelsea.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Mbabu, Lascelles, Nunez (Stergiou), Willems, Tonali, Ceballos (Reyna), Chiesa (Everton), Havertz, Saint-Maximin, Edouard

What a topsy-turvy match this was. Chelsea were all over us in the first half and should have been 3 or 4 up and even after they went down to 10 men they dominated and we fortunate to go into half-time losing by just the one goal. I gave my players a rollicking at half-time and that seemed to do the trick as we dominated and Mbabu levelled. However Nunez made a defensive mistake and we were 2-1 down but we got a penalty which Edouard tucked away and St.Max got the winner.

--

anderlecht.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Mbabu (Matheson), Lascelles, Stergiou, Hickey, S.Longstaff, M.Longstaff, Dembele, Reyna*, Everton, Kaio Jorge

A very good victory and we had 3 defenders score. Stergiou headed in his 1st goal for us before Mbabu grabbed his 4th of the season and then the goal of the game came from Aaron Hickey as he blasted one into the top corner from over 20 yards out.

--

villa.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Mbabu, Lascelles, Nunez, Willems (Hickey), Tonali, Ceballos, Chiesa, Havertz*, Saint-Maximin (Everton), Edouard (Kaio Jorge)

Thats us won our first 10 league games of the season and we look unstoppable. Edouard has played in 8 of those games and scored in all 8 with 14 league goals to his name - he had 19 in 38 last season!!!

--

Carabao Cup 4th Round
leicester.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Matheson*, Lascelles, Stergiou (Pankov), Hickey, S.Longstaff, M.Longstaff, Dembele (Rodriguez), Reyna (Irwin), Everton, Kaio Jorge

I put my faith in my backups and although it wasnt pretty they got us through. Irwin and Rodriguez made their debuts for me here.

--

burnley.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Mbabu (Hickey), Lascelles, Nunez, Willems, Tonali*, Ceballos (Reyna), Saint-Maximin (Dembele), Havertz, Everton, Edouard

Rock bottom Burnley couldnt end our run here. Havertz volleyed in the first, Mbabu got his 5th of the season before Sandro Tonali scored with 2 long range efforts - the first being a free-kick. Just a pity that Edouard failed to score. Mbabu got injured and is out for 3 weeks although I think the international break will be in that so it aint too bad.

--

SUMMARY

We keep playing and we keep winning!!! Another sensational month was had and not a thing went wrong. We won every match, scored loads of goals and as a result we are 6pts clear at the top of the table. My players have been magnificent but it helps when your right back is scoring for fun as Kevin Mbabu has been doing! He was the subject of a £60m bid from Juventus in the summer which I rejected and he has responded brilliantly.

In the cups we are doing well enough and I have been playing my backups to give them some game time and by and large they have been impressive - especially Hickey, Dembele, Matheson and Stergiou.

Finally the Havertz situation has been sorted as he signed a new contract which took away his minimum fee release clause. He didnt get a wage rise but has had about £20m in signing on fees in the past 3 months!!! I also signed a new deal with a wage rise of over £100k and I am up to £160k a week now.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
KAI HAVERTZ
havertz.png

--

PREMIER LEAGUE

oct.png

Leicester City sack Fernando Santos
Roberto Di Matteo leaves Blackburn​

1592396353042.png

Stan Seymour
1939-55

Seymour had a playing career with Newcastle between 1920-29. He was appointed as a director of the club in 1938 and was the main man in charge of Newcastle although a committee still picked the side as had been done under Tom Watt. Seymour won 2 FA Cups while in charge. He was part of the board until his death in 1978 and his son later on went to become the club chairman.

--

NOVEMBER

4-1.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Hickey, Stergiou, Nunez, Willems, S.Longstaff, Ceballos (M.Longstaff), Dembele, Reyna, Everton, Kaio Jorge*

Kaio Jorge was disappointing earlier this season when Edouard was injured but he was on fire here with 4 goals. Sean Longstaff had a goal disallowed too.

--

bmth.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Jung, Lascelles, Costa, Matheson, Tonali (M.Longstaff), Ceballos (S.Longstaff), Saint-Maximin, Havertz*, Bavis (Gouiri), Edouard

Most of my players were unfit or injured so I had to cobble together a side here. Jung made his debut while Matheson played at left back and Bavis and Costa made their league debuts. I neednt have worried as I still had Edouard and he got himself a double which were both assisted by Kai Havertz.

--

soton.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Matheson, Lascelles, Nunez, Willems, Tonali, Ceballos (Reyna), Chiesa, Havertz*, Saint-Maximin (Everton), Edouard (Kaio Jorge)

A Havertz double sealed the win here and Odsonne Edouard missed a penalty as he had a shocker but I will let him off.

--

5-0.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Matheson, Stergiou, Costa, Hickey, S.Longstaff, Bellingham (M.Longstaff), Dembele, Reyna*, Everton, Kaio Jorge (Gouiri)

When we played Lyon on the opening game of this group stage I played my first team and got beat. Here I played my backups and we thrashed them to seal qualification. 8 of my starting eleven were teenagers which is quite scary tbh.

--

NORWICH.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Matheson, Lascelles, Stergiou, Willems (Hickey), Tonali, Ceballos, Chiesa (Everton), Havertz*, Saint-Maximin, Edouard (Kaio Jorge)

This wasnt pretty. On one hand we dominated the match from start to finish but when they scored with their only shot on goal and as time ticked onwards I was worried that our run would end. Fortunately though Havertz volleyed home the equaliser and Kaio Jorge came off the bench to get a last minute winner.

--

SUMMARY

Win, win, win, win, win to the tune of 14 times as we still have a 100% record in the league this season. Norwich almost scuppered that in our last match but a stoppage time goal from Kaio Jorge won it for us. We obviously are top of the league and already have a 8pt lead at the top - I honestly cant see us losing that if I am honest.

In the Champions League my backups got run outs and they thumped Anderlecht 4-1 thanks to 4 goals from Kaio Jorge before embarrasing Lyon 5-0 to seal qualification for the next stage as group winners.

Off the field the board have agreed to improve the training and youth facilities. Its all good!!!!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
KAI HAVERTZ

KAI.png

--

PREMIER LEAGUE
nov.png

Jesse Marsch is the new Leicester manager
Blackburn appoint Eusebio Di Francesco
Spurs sack Roberto Mancini

1592415727813.png

George Martin
1947-50

Martin managed the club with the presence of Stan Seymour always lurking in the background. The Scotsman controversially sold Len Shackleton to Sunderland but on the other hand gave a debut to Jackie Milburn. He got Newcastle promoted in 1947-48 and that was his highlight in charge.

--

DECEMBER

ffs.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Matheson, Lascelles, Nunez, Willems (Hickey), Tonali, Ceballos, Chiesa, Havertz, Saint-Maximin (Everton), Edouard (Kaio Jorge)

The winning run is over and it was fully deserved as we were absolutely pathetic. To lose the run at home is a big surprise but it was going to end at some point. Luke Matheson was run ragged and had a nightmare but nobody got a pass mark here apart from Sandro Tonali. Atrocious.

--

sheff utd.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Mbabu, Lascelles, Nunez, Willems, Tonali (S.Longstaff), Ceballos (Reyna), Chiesa (Everton), Havertz, Saint-Maximin*, Edouard

Welcome back Kevin Mbabu!!! He finally returned from injury (one after another) and immediately we looked a better side and he grabbed our 2nd goal. Captain Jamaal Lascelles got the opener and we put our nightmare performance in the last match behind us. Saint-Maximin hasnt looked at his best on the LW this season but I moved him out to the right here and he scored twice. Longstaff had a last minute goal disallowed.

--

moscow.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Matheson, Lascelles, Costa, Hickey*, S.Longstaff (M.Longstaff), Bellingham, Dembele, Reyna, Everton (Bavis), Kaio Jorge (Gouiri)

We round off the group stage with an away victory. 5 wins out of 6 and the one match where I played my first team we got beat lol.

--

arsenal.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Mbabu (Hickey), Lascelles, Nunez, Willems, Tonali (Bellingham), Ceballos, Chiesa, Reyna*, Saint-Maximin (Everton), Edouard

A good win but it could have been even better as Edouard had 2 goals disallowed in as many minutes in the 2nd half but he ended up with 2 goals so thats ok. Ceballos got us on our way with a goal in the 2nd minute against his old club. Arsenal sacked Mikel Arteta after this game finished.

--

Carabao Cup Quarter-Final
2-1.png

Lineup
- Livakovic, Matheson, Lascelles, Stergiou, Hickey, S.Longstaff, Bellingham, Dembele, Reyna, Everton (Chiesa), Kaio Jorge

Into the semis we go and with the strangest goal that I have ever seen. Hickey was putting pressure on a Fulham defender near the goal line but 3 yards from it outside the box and the defender turned to clear but it seemed to come off Hickey and all of a sudden ping into the bottom corner! The 2nd goal however was curled into the top corner from 20 yards by Chiesa.

--

west ham.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Mbabu, Lascelles (Stergiou), Nunez, Willems*, Tonali, Ceballos (Reyna), Chiesa, Havertz, Saint-Maximin, Edouard (Kaio Jorge)

We move 10pts clear with this win. Willems got his first of the season while Reyna scored a long range free-kick.

--

man city.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Mbabu, Lascelles, Nunez, Willems, Tonali, Ceballos, Chiesa (Everton), Havertz (Reyna), Saint-Maximin*, Edouard

Amazing. Man City were in 2nd place and we go to their place and thump them to move 13pts clear. None of the goals were spectacular but we controlled the game throughout and thoroughly deserved the win.

--

aston.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Mbabu, Lascelles (Stergiou), Nunez, Willems, Tonali, Ceballos, Chiesa (Everton), Havertz*, Saint-Maximin, Edouard

A Kai Havertz masterclass did the job here. Always nice to beat Villa.

--

SUMMARY

We started this month in the worst possible way as we lost at home to Man Utd to end our 100% record in the league but after that we bounced back superbly with the highlights being 3-0 wins over Man City and Arsenal. Sheffield United were hit for 4 and whether or not it was coincidence our upturn in goals scored after a little dip coincided with the return of Kevin Mbabu - strange to say lol.

We are 11pts clear at the top of the league and with our far superior goal difference it is effectively 12pts. In the Champions League we have been drawn against Inter Milan which could be tricky while Liverpool will be our opponents in the Carabao Cup semis and we will play Swansea City in the FA Cup.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ALLAN SAINT-MAXIMIN
ASM.png

--

PREMIER LEAGUE
DEC.png

West Ham sack Carlos Sanchez and Chris Powell replaces him
Mikel Arteta gets sacked by Arsenal and is replaced by Thierry Henry!!!​

1592660144120.png

Doug Livingstone
1954-56
P99 W43 D20 L36
WIN% 43.43

Another Scotsman is up next and Livingstone who previously managed Belgium in the 1954 World Cup is that man. He won the FA Cup in 1955 with Newcastle but he was controlled by Stan Seymour as Livingstone wanted to drop Milburn but Seymour overruled him and Milburn duly scored in the final.

JANUARY

FA Cup 3rd Round

swansea.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Matheson (Jung), Stergiou (Pankov), Costa, Hickey, S.Longstaff, Bellingham*, Dembele, Reyna, Everton (Bavis), Kaio Jorge

I have a horrendous fixture list coming up so I took the chance to rest my first XI and my backups won at a canter. Bellingham scored 2 and set up 2.

--

Carabao Cup Semi-Final 1st Leg

liverpool.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Mbabu, Lascelles, Nunez, Willems (Hickey), Tonali, Ceballos, Chiesa, Havertz, Saint-Maximin (Everton), Edouard (Kaio Jorge)

We are very fortunate to have won this as Liverpool were the dominant side however we got the goal when Havertz latched onto a long punt from Nunez and he fired home at the near post.

--

tottenham.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Mbabu (Matheson), Lascelles, Nunez (Stergiou), Hickey, Tonali, Ceballos, Chiesa, Havertz, Saint-Maximin (Everton), Edouard*

Very nice. We got off to a perfect start with Havertz scoring in the 2nd minute and that set us on our way. Edouard notched a double and Stergiou came off the bench to get a rare goal.

--

0-0.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Mbabu, Lascelles, Nunez, Willems, Tonali, Ceballos, Chiesa, Havertz (Bellingham), Saint-Maximin (Everton), Edouard (Kaio Jorge)

The top 2 went head to head here and with Liverpool failing to win I think thats the league sorted such is our lead. Their keeper, Alisson got the MOM award which shows that we did try and win it. I will take this result in the 2nd leg of our cup semi! This is our first draw in the league this season!

--

2-4.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Mbabu, Lascelles, Nunez, Willems, Tonali, Ceballos (S.Longstaff), Chiesa, Havertz (Bellingham), Saint-Maximin (Everton), Edouard

Ouch. We fell behind early on and then when Tonali got sent-off I knew it was game over. At 3-0 down I was just hoping that we wouldnt get embarrassed and thanks to an Odsonne Edouard double we werent. A bad day at the office.

--

city.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Matheson, Lascelles, Nunez, Willems, S.Longstaff (M.Longstaff), Ceballos (Bellingham), Chiesa (Dembele), Havertz, Saint-Maximin, Edouard*

Back to winning ways and another 2 goals for Edouard - he is on fire!!! Thats 26 league goals so far this season for my striker.

--

FA Cup 4th Round

1-1.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Mbabu, Lascelles (Stergiou), Nunez, Willems, Tonali, Ceballos (Reyna), Chiesa (Dembele), Havertz, Saint-Maximin*, Edouard

We didnt quite manage to get revenge of our recent defeat to Chelsea but we are taking them back to SJP so I have to be happy with that. We took the lead through St.Max but a defensive error from Lascelles allowed Jorginho to run through and equalise. Chiesa got injured here and will be out for a couple of months but he has been pretty poor so isnt a huge miss.

--

Carabao Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg

0-2.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Mbabu, Lascelles, Nunez, Willems, Tonali (S.Longstaff), Ceballos, Dembele, Reyna (Bellingham), Saint-Maximin, Edouard (Kaio Jorge)

I have no complaints here. We were poor and Liverpool were superb and we were fortunate to only lose by 2. Kaio Jorge went through in goal late on and missed and that was our chance gone.

--

3-0.png

Lineup - Livakovic, Mbabu, Lascelles, Nunez, Willems*, Tonali, Ceballos (Bellingham), Dembele, Havertz, Saint-Maximin (Everton), Edouard (Kaio Jorge)

We end the month with an easy win. I have decided to give Dembele a chance with Chiesa's absence and naturally I was happy to see him get the crucial 2nd goal.

--

SUMMARY

will update later...

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ODSONNE EDOUARD

goals.png

--

PREMIER LEAGUE
JAN.png

Really good, nice to see you doing this good in the league :)

Just caught up with full story and great to see you doing so well.

Just wondered if anyone that you've sold has actually gone on to tear it up somewhere else and you've regretted selling them. I'm guessing no, but you never know.

Hello

I really enjoyed this read. Wow to take Newcastle and win the Prem. 3X running is amazing...BUT it does tell me the game is a bit too easy. I wish it was a little more realistic.
I think the A.I. struggles buying the right players for other clubs?