Nommy

Reaction score
Nicholas Laurent - Humble Beginnings.

After reading all the wonderful stories people have posted on this forum, I finally decided to start my own. I hope you guys enjoy it and enjoy the story of Nicholas Laurent as we embark on his journey to become a world-class manager.

Who the ****** **** is Nicholas Laurent?

Good question - too often we are caught up with the antics of Jose Mourinho or too busy trying to count how many managers Tottenham and Manchester City have recycled in the last few years.
Nicholas Laurent is a former semi-professional footballer who played in the state leagues in Sydney,
Australia.

A two-footed player that spent most of his career playing at center-back, Nicholas had to cut his career short at 24 due to persistent ankle problems that would require him to have his ankle fused if he persisted playing. Let’s face it, it wasn't like Arsene Wenger was going to pick the phone up and call Nicholas up to the Arsenal first team, he knew that he could still actively participate in football in other forms of the game.

Nicholas decided after completing his Bachelor degree in IT that he would obtain his AFC/FFA National C license in order to pursue a life-long dream of being a football manager. Nicholas has just finished completing his National C license and at 25, he is young, passionate, and ready to go.
Nicholas has recently applied to nearly every position on the block, and this story will follow what it is exactly like to be a new-comer to the block.

Goals

At 25, Nicholas has a few goals that he wants to achieve throughout his managerial career.
  • Obtain UEFA Pro license.​
  • Manage an EPL side.​
  • Manage a side ranked within the top 20 in the world.​
  • Win a competition by 30.​
  • Manage a national team.
These goals may take years to achieve, but Nicholas is in it for the long-haul.

Other bits of information
I will be using the Whizzkids 2015 Transfer Database (12/04/2015) for this save.

The hunt begins

"Right enough is enough, no more Game of Thrones, it's time to start looking".

Nicholas finally after weeks of procrastination decided to apply for managerial positions.
After looking online, he came across a few vacancies. He decided to scrap all high level positions in major countries as his chances were pretty much next to zero to obtaining them.

View attachment 281743
The first job that immediately caught his eye was the "Hayes and Yeading" vacancy in the 6th tier of English football. Nicholas' step-father was from Hayes and if he could somehow take the job away from the bookies favourite Ian Hazel, it would be a major step-forward in his managerial career.

"Okay now that that's settled, back to Game of Thrones."​

Interviews

After a few days in waiting, Nicholas checked his emails to see if any of the clubs had replied back to him. There was no shock when he saw Peterborough had denied his application, let's face it, no way in **** was a League one team going to employ Nicholas.

Most of the offers came from lower league teams in Sweden with one or two from Romania and Norway, however the most appealing was Wrexham F.C in the Conference National. Could it be? If he could get his foot in the door in England it would be a major step forward. Of course Nicholas was going to attend all of them, however a bit more thought and preparation would go into that interview. Another reply that stood out was that of Romanian second division team 'Rapid CFR'. Two professional footballing clubs wanted an interview with Nicholas?
"I think it's time to get the suit out".

The interviews

After nearly a dozen interviews (all conducted via skype), Nicholas slouched back in his chair.
"Well sh*t, that took it out of me. I might go for a run". He changed out of his suit and into something more casual before starting his run.

His mind was everywhere. Nearly all of the clubs had asked him why he hadn't managed a club before and why they should trust him. Had he answered correctly? Should he of avoided stating that he wants to play a possession based style of football? Nicholas couldn't think straight, his mind was everywhere. The more he ran, the more and more he just thought about how big a step forward this would be in his career. There was nothing more he could do now.​

Pen to paper

harstad_il.gif

Harstad IL Sign Nicholas Laurent.

Nicholas joins Norweigen Second Division Harstad IL team on a full-time contract valued at £650 a week (£450 after tax). The deal runs until the 31/12/2015 (current date; 19/07/2014).

"We are delighted to reveal Nicholas as our new manager and hope he can push this club to the next level".

Nicholas revealed his main decision behind choosing the Norwegian club was the offer of a full-time contract, and the chance of a new challenge in a different country".

About the club
11df2e36b5.jpg

Expectations and the budget
b51fa32f1d.jpg

The competition
Nicholas has joined half-way through the season and with the above mid-table expectation put on him, the club are in a reasonable position to achieve this goal. However, Nicholas feels with the right attitude and tactics, they could finish in the top 3.
4b9dc9fdc9.jpg

Team Report

Having met the players, Nicholas was surprised that the majority of them were looking forward to working with a practically unknown manager. After meeting with his assistant manager, Nicholas compiled the team report and his best 11.

Key Player:
Marcus Ursin Ingebrigsten

At 25 and on an amateur contract, Marcus is the best player at the club. If he performs well, he could see himself obtain a part-time contract.

Instructions
Nicholas set out the following instructions for his team. Being ranked in the top 4 in terms of physicality and aggression, he has advised his players to use that to their strength and to get stuck in. Retaining possession and shorter passing is also key for his midfield trio as they look to hit the flanks and exploit overlapping runs from the fullbacks. (I added 'exploit flanks' and 'retain possession').
7792eb2531.jpg

Review
The main thing that hit Nicholas first was the lack of a true goalscorer. Both strikers have only bagged 5 goals between them and if they are to make any sort of push for the top half, that needs to change. Morale is high within the team however a major blow is the first choice goalkeeper Emir being out injured for roughly 9 days.

9964734364.jpg

First game and Transfers

Transfers

Nicholas had made it a priority to find an a true goalscorer before the team's next competitive game. His scouting team did just that.

Harstad IL sign Anders Jorgensen.

Jorgensen joins Harstad from Sortland with a reported fee of £11.5k. His contract will run until December 2016 and is valued at £120 per week. The media have raised a few eyebrows stating that Laurent overpaid by about 2k for the player, although with his current form in the league, it could prove to be a bargain.

Nicholas Laurent stated that "Anders has been in good form and is it good to welcome him back to the club he once left".

Anders will be expected to make his second debut this weekend and will be hoping to continue his good run of form in the league.
Anders has been in good form in the league scoring 4 goals in 5 appearances for Sortland this term at an average rating of 7.78 a game.

864ab731c4.jpg

8e5d756193.jpg

20 goals in 50 appearances isn't too bad for a young striker and with some all right statistics, Nicholas will be hoping to get the most out of him.

Game day
cb6275e3c9.png

Harstad IL vs
Kvik Halden

Pregame
1PM.
Nicholas paced the changing room. It was three hours before kick-off and an hour before the players were expected to arrive but he was way too nervous. He wanted to make a good impression and playing at home in what was expected to be a big crowd was no easy initiation.

Kvik were expected to play a 4-5-1 and sat in 9th, just one point behind Harstad, and in their last 5 games they had managed to notch up 2 wins, 2 draws and only one loss.

2PM
The players started to slowly trickle into the change room one by one. Nicholas sat in the corner nervously as he waited for the final stragglers to filter in. The players were putting on their gear before a few of them approached him.

"Hey boss we just want to say that we understand it's your first game in charge and we want to do the best for you. We know you're nervous so just try to relax."

Nicholas thanked the group of players before instructing the team to head out onto the pitch to do some pre-match warmups.

3.30PM
The players headed back into the change rooms before Nicholas would give his team-talk and pre-game preparations.

"Okay boys today we will be setting out with the 4-1-2-3 we have been training all week. I know it's a little new to some of you guys, but I want to emphasis the importance of retaining the ball and finding our wingers. Be patient and don't try to rush it, the goal will come. Alright lads here is the lineup for today.

f5276dff71.jpg

"Alright lads, lets give the crowd something to cheer about".

The game
4PM Kickoff
Nicholas stood on the side-line as he players waited for the whistle. The home-crowd has welcome him just before kickoff and he was given the honor of doing the coin toss.

Half-time
Harstad IL 3 v 0 Kvik Halden
Ingebridsten(8), Willassen(11), Jorgensen(34)

Harstad took the lead in the 8th minute through Ursin Ingebridsten. It was good play after a corner was recycled by Jorgensen to Johnsen who hit the cross in finding Ursin. That was his 3rd goal of the season.

Three minutes later Harstad doubled their lead with a well worked counter attack from a throw-in deep in their half. Jorgensen once again was instrumental in the build-up play, running down the right before finding Kjelseth, who slided it through to Johnsen. Johnsen then whipped the ball into the area finding Willassen who headed home from six yards for his second goal of the year.

In the 34th minute, Harstad extended their lead to 3-0 with lovely patient build up. Willassen played it into Jorgensen who slotted home from 12 yards to score on his second debut for the club.

Three minutes later, Kjelseth whipped a ball in from a setpiece to find Willassen's header to ricochet off the crossbar into the back of the net from 12 yards out. Only to have it disallowed for offside.

As the boys entered the sheds they were over the moon, **** so was Nicholas but he had to remain calm.

"Great first half boys, pressing really well and you're being patient with your build up play. Just don't get complacent and more of the same the second half".
The boys went back out after regaining their focus.

Second-half

In the 54th minute Harstad took their lead to 4 with a well worked cross by Fjellstad who found the Balteskard who replaced Willassen in the 48th (due to injury).

In the 83rd minute, Harstad were awarded a penalty from a corner, which Balteskard stepped up and coolly slotted home from the spot to extend the lead to 5.
Kvik managed to pull a goal back in the 88th minute from a cross that found Yacoub's head. That was his 7th this season as he continues his good run of form.

Nicholas headed into the shed with the team buzzing.

"Great win boys, thank you for putting in 100 percent today. I'm a bit annoyed that we conceded at the end, but we will work on defending crosses during the week, apart from that, perfect performance."

Full-time
cb6275e3c9.png

Halstad IL 5 vs 1 Kvik Halden
Ingebridsten(8), Willassen(11), Jorgensen(34), Balteskard(54, 83), Yacoub(88).

7PM
As the players left the ground, Nicholas walked to his car.
"That was easy! Why the ****** **** was I so stressed?!? I think it's time for a good beer and an episode or two of Game of Thrones when I get home."

Nicholas was sitting at home before his phone started ringing. It was his assistant manager, Sebastian Austen Dokken.
"Sebastian, how are you?"

"Good Laurent, still buzzing after today!"

"Yea it was a really good result. I can't believe I was so nervous before the game!"

"Yea it's only naturally. I have some bad news though.."

"Let me guess, Willassen?"

"Yep, scans show he has broken his ankle. 3-4months the docs said."

"F#$%!! Are you kidding me? He has been training so well."

"I know it's going to be a big loss for us, however we do have some decent cover in the right mid position."

"Alright, well I guess I'll see you on Monday Sebastian. Have a good one".
*hangs up*

"Brilliant. One game in and I'm already down a player."

Last edited:
Looks good so far - good luck!

Thanks man.
I probably won't do as much detail per-game after the first couple as it will just take way too long. Probably just do a summary for each game and each post will contain probably 3 matches.

And I'm going to improve the graphics/layout in future posts, I was just keen to get this story underway.

Staff additions and transfers

Staff additions

After consulting with Sebastien, both he and Nicholas came to the conclusion that the club needed a few more coaches. Nicholas approached the board to increase the allowed staff which the board approved enabling him to have 3 staff.

• [*=center]Bjorn Steinar Lampe was brought in as the U19s manager. He holds a Continental B license.
    [*=center]Ketil Fjærand was brought in as the club's fitness coach. He will cost the club nothing as he is on an amateur contract. He holds a National A License.
Christian Johansen was brought in as the club's goalkeeping coach. Although relatively inexperience, he will provide much needed assistance in this area. He holds a National C License.

448c679236.jpg

Nicholas hopes that these three additions will help improve the squad as a whole as he looked to shed some of the workload off from him and his assistant.

Transfers

Although Willassen is injured, Laurent and Sebastian both feel they have enough cover for him to see the season out. They have instead decided to focus on the defence.

They feel they need more cover for the CB position in-case someone was to get injured. There will be more additions that's for sure as the window enters its' final week.

93a4630045.jpg

Although young, Carlyle has some good marking and tackling attributes and with the style of football being asked of the defenders, he should fit in. For 200 quid, it's a bargain. He will mainly feature in the Reserve team as Laurent still pursues for more defensive cover.
Attributes
aed104152a.jpg

Game day and transfers

Round 15
df853c3f67.png

Drøbak-Frogn vs Harstad IL

Drobak will most likely set out with a 4-1-4-1 formation as they look to build on their previous game were they claimed a 3-0 victory against Skeid. Harstad will be looking to extend their 2 game winning streak as manager Nicholas Laurent experiences his first away game.

The only change to the starting 11 for Harstad is Balteskard coming in to replace the injured winger Willassen.

Result

Drøbak-Frogn 0 vs 1 Harstad IL
Balteskard,(32)
The breakthrough came in the 32nd minute when Balteskard was put through 1-on-1 with the keeper after a long ball over the top by Johansen was mistimed by a defender, which saw Balteskard coolly slot home.

Despite the instruction to play the ball short, the team kept playing balls over the top which frustrated Laurent, although this tactic did seem to work and after consultation with Sebastian, the team was encouraged to apply this tactic.

The team hit the woodwork about a dozen times during the game in a game were Drobak were lucky not to go down by more than 1.

This win sees the team take their unbeaten run to 5 games as they push forward towards the end of the season.

Transfer deadline day

Official press release

Harstad IL had a quiet transfer deadline day which saw no activity on either front for the club. Nicholas Laurent confirmed that there will be no additional signings this window and that the club, despite media speculating that defender Henrik Fjellstad might leave the club, will not be letting anyone go.

"I had no intentions of letting anyone go this window. We already have quite a small squad so if we were to let players go it would be almost suicidal."

Harstad brought in two signings this window. Promising youngster Carlyle joined on a free whilst striker Anders Jorgensen rejoined the club, for a fee of £11.5k, just after just leaving the club two months ago.

Team Meeting

Nicholas thought after the previous game it would be a good time to rally the boys together for a chat to discuss the season and how they will see it out.

"Lads I've been really impressed how everyone has been training and playing whilst I've been at the club. Let's keep this going."

Injured winger Willassen stepped in on behalf of the team.

"Everyone's focused coach, we're enjoying this good run of form. It's a good time to be a Harstad player."

Round 16
216098b031.jpg
Harstad IL v KFUM Oslo

Title contender KFUM Oslo visit the Harstad stadium with Harstad currently on a 5 game unbeaten streak. A victory for Harstad today could see them climb as high as third if results go their way. Winning would surely see Harstad be considered as an outside chance of promotion.

KFUM Oslo will most likely set out in a 4-3-3 formation looking to exploit the flanks.

The starting lineup remains unchanged from the previous fixture.
bd7525e76b.jpg

Result:
Harstad IL 2vs1 KFUM Oslo
Balteskard ( 8), Ingebrigsten(73), Ek(91)

Harstad opened the scoring in the 6th minute when inform winger Balteskard was put through from Kjelseth before finishing from a tight angle. The keeper should of done better as the ball went through his hands.

Johnsen was replaced by Jakobsen in the 37th minute as he picked up a knock. Nicholas Laurent hopes it isn't too serious.

Harstad extended their lead in the 73rd minute when inform defender Marcus Ursin Ingebrigtsen headed home from 6 yards after Kjelseth's corner was recycled by Ellefsen on the edge of the box.

There would be late drama though in the 91st minute, as a long ball Laugsand found Ek running through on goal, which would see for a grand-stand finish.

As Nicholas kicked back at home after another victory, his phone started buzzing. It was chairman Jonas Aasli. Nicholas quickly finished his drink before sitting up and answering.

"Hey Jonas, how are you?"

"Good Nicholas, I'm very pleased after today's result."

"Me too, the lads are responding really well to the training and the tactics we are implementing."

"That's good to hear. I'm calling to discuss the club's ambition for the current season. After talking with the other board members, we feel as if we set the bar a little too low. We would love it if you would be able to contend for the title. Don't feel under too much pressure if you don't, we just feel the club's standards should be higher."

"Well, that is a pretty tough ask, however the lads have been playing well. I'll be honest with you, it would be an outside chance for us to grab the title, but I would be lying to you if I said that wasn't our goal. I'll talk with Sebastian and we will assess how we can achieve the new goal."

"Wonderful! I'll see you mid-week then."

*hangs up*

Nicholas kicked back in his lounge thinking about the conversation. Could they really push for the title? After 16 games they only sat 5 points off the leaders and they were on a 6 game unbeaten streak. Surely anything is possible...right?

Last edited:
Bitter taste of defeat

Round 17
b128f0ff82.png

Skeid v Harstad IL

Match preview

Skeid will have a tough task ahead of them as they undertake the inform team Harstad IL. Skeid who have only picked up 2 points in their last 4 games go up against Harstad who have not lost since Laurent took over the reigns, 6 games ago.
Skeid will most likely setout in a 4-4-2 formation.
Inform winger Bojang will hope to continue his good run of form scoring 5 goals in 15 games this campaign.

The starting lineup for Harstad is as followed;
bd7525e76b.jpg

Inform Balteskard will be hoping to continue his hotstreak.
Laurent spoke before this game about his teams current run of form.

"It's been a fairy-tale start since I've come here. The whole club has welcomed me and I greatly appreciate everyone's generosity. I'm just hoping we can keep this good run of form going."

Result

Skeid 2 v 1 Harstad IL
Jorgensen(45+2), Ferdinand (48), Haddal (91)

After a fairly quiet first half which saw Skeid enjoy most of the possession, right before half-time Harstad took the lead through a well worked counter attack. Balteskard picked the ball up behind half way, making a driving run forward before sliding Jorgensen in to give the visitors the advantage going into the break. Jorgensen before that chance had been wasteful and should of had a goal in the 32nd minute when he blasted a 1-on-1 right at the keeper.

Laurent got the lads into the shed and told them that despite being a goal up, they were giving the ball away way too easily and that they needed to tighten up.

In the 48th minute, Skeid found the equaliser they were looking for after a dangerous cross from Bojang split the center halves and found Ferdinand's head who made no mistake from 12yards.

Harstad should of found themselves 2-1 up in the 75th minute after a clearance from Fjellstad found Jorgensen 1-on-1 with the goalkeeper, before he blasted his shot high.

In the 91st minute, Skeid would score what would be the winning goal after Harstad failed to clear their lines from a corner. Haddal found himself unmarked on the penalty spot before smashing the ball into the back of the net.

It was safe to say that Laurent wasn't too pleased with the performance and he let the team know. They gave the ball away way too easily and they dropped 3 points.

Nicholas gathered the lads together after the previous match to let them know that despite the result, they still need to keep on going.

Board & Staff update
After consultation with the board, Hastard's fitness coach Ketil Fjærand has started to work on his continental C License. The 960# fee will be covered by the board.

Sebastian Austen Dokken has started on his National B License and will cover the 600$ fee himself.

Nicholas also approached the board to look for an affiliate club in order to help bring in more talent. The board rejected the talk of a senior affiliate, but agreed on a 'normal' affiliate and have begun looking for one.

Round 18

cc324cf33a.png

Moss v Harstad IL

Match preview

Harstad travel to Moss FC who currently sit in first place. Harstad took a blow to their hopes of promotion after their 6 game unbeaten streak came to an end at Skeid last match. They will be looking to bounce back, but face no easy task against Moss. Moss however haven't been in red-hot form losing 3 of their last 5 league games.

Moss will set-out in a 4-4-2 and will look to play more direct football. They will be without inform striker Jorge Rodriguez who is sidelined through injury. Rodriguez has bagged 8 goals in 11 games. Moss will be hoping Kenneth Di Vita Jensen will be able to continue his decent run of 8 goals this campaign.

Despite losing in their last fixture, manager Nicholas Laurent has made no changes to his starting lineup.

Result
Moss 2 v 0 Harstad IL
Ness(23,37)

Moss took the lead in the 23rd minute after a cross wasn't dealt with. Ness found himself between the center halves and headed home from 6yards.

Moss doubled their lead in the 37th after a swift counter attack from a Harstad freekick. Another cross found its way to Ness who volleyed home from close range.

Laurent wasn't too pleased with the showing as his players were beat far too easily in the air. His center back pairing were targeted in particular.

August Month review
04b8b0150c.jpg

Harstad currently sit in 6th, 8 points off leaders Moss.

2587e15ed3.jpg

After a good start to the month, the club fell off towards the end, only getting 9 points from a possible 15. Things need to change quickly and Nicholas Laurent knows that. He will be hoping to get a good response out of his players as they enter the final 8 fixtures of the competition.

Press conference

Nicholas walked into the media room at the stadium following their second away defeat in a row. He was greeted by three journalists, two more than usual.

"How did you rate that performance?"

"Well, we could of played a lot better and it is annoying that we got beat in the air way to easily."

"That's two defeats in a row now, does this have a major effect on your bid for the title?"

"There is still 8 games to go so anything is possible, however our form needs to turn around quickly if we are to have any chance of winning".

Nicholas concluded the press conference there, not feeling up to the task of playing with journalists. He walked back to his car before his phone rang.
"Sebastian, what can I do for you?"

"Hey Nicholas, I'm just calling to let you know that despite the dip in form, I'm still behind you. The players know that as well, don't get too down - we were bound to lose eventually!"

"You're too right my friend. Thanks for the support. I'll see you Monday morning."
*hangs up*

Nicholas sighed and looked up at the night sky. The stress of a football manager was more real than ever and with a busy fixture list coming up, he hoped his team could turn around and make a late bid for the title.​

Really impressive so far, I'm very interested in following this! Keep it up! :)

nylat

Round 19
dfs_wl_nor_harstad_il.gif
vs
f408fd59a1.jpg
Harstad v Vålerenga 2

Match Preview

Harstad will host 13th placed Valerenga as they look to bounce back from two consecutive away defeats. Manager Nicholas Laurent has said there will be changes to his side's tactics as he hopes they will be able to re-find their mid-season form.
"I have faith in my players that they will be able to provide the goods in front of the home crowd."

Valerenga 2 will look to get players behind the ball and hit Harstad on the counter as they set-out in a 4-5-1 formation.

Here is the starting lineup for Harstad IL.
c5a186ff94.jpg

The only change this week is Ellefesen replacing the out of form Bakke in midfield. Winger Hans-Vilhelm Willassen is still sidelined for a further 7-12 weeks as he recovers from a broken ankle.

Result

Harstad 0 vs 1 Vålerenga 2

In the 35th minute, after dominating possession, Harstad found themselves 1-0 down after Stensrud latched onto a deflected clearance. Johansen managed to clear the ball into the back of his partner and Stensrud tapped home from 5 yards.

Well it's safe to say all hopes of the title are most likely gone. 3 games in a row were we have given the ball away way too easily. The lads need to wake up. That game was there to be won. This recent bad run of form has seen us slip to 9th, only 8 points above relegation. With the board wanting a mid table finish at the bare minimum, Laurent's position might be in jeopardy.

Round 20

Kjelsås v Harstad IL

Match preview
Kjelsås will host out of sorts Harstad as their fight for relegation continues. Kjelsås are in 13th place 8 points from safety. Harstad have lost 3 games in a row and have seen them drop from 5th to 9th. They currently sit 9 points behind leaders Moss.

There have been wholesale changes to Harstad starting 11 as manager Laurent looks to pick his team up from their last outing.

66fc966672.jpg

Youth goalkeeper Jakobsen replaces first choice keeper Resulbegovic, whilst Jorgensen and Ellefsen are replaced by Johansen and Bakke respectively.

Result

Kjelsås 1 v 3 Harstad IL
Johansen(28), Moller(45), Jakobsen(60), Bakke(60).

Harstad after dominating the game, finally broke the deadlock when striker Johansen collected the ball from a clearance from Jakobsen. Johansen beat two defenders before curling home to send Harstad 1-0 up in the 28th minute.

But in the 45th minute, Harstad threw away all their hard work by getting beat once again in the air from a cross on the left. Moller out jumped Fjellstad which sent manager Laurent into a fury at half-time.

The team talk seemed to inspire something in the Harstad team when in the 60th minute, Balteskard whipped in a dangerous ball from the right to find Jakobsen running on marked at the back post to head home off the post.

It wasn't over though yet, when after the kick off Kfelsas gave the ball away cheaply before Jakobsen found Johansen, who sent a cross into Bakke who headed home, 30 seconds after the kickoff.

"That's more like it! Fantastic second half lads!" Nicholas was exuberant after his team went into overdrive in the second half.
"Let's use this as a catalyst for the remaining 5 games".

Club affiliation

As Nicholas arrived to the training ground on the Wednesday, he was greeted by an unexpected visitor.

"Jonas! What are you doing here?"

"I have some good news for you Nicholas, the board and I have come to the end of our search for an affiliate club. We've compiled a list of 5 teams for you to pick from. We will have the final say, however we will listen keenly to your recommendation."

"Wonderful Jonas! Just drop the list on my desk before you go and I'll have a look over it after training."

After training was finished, Nicholas ventured into his office to look over the list Jonas had left for him.
He was far from impressed. The board had recommended two clubs in regional leagues in Norway, and the other three were in the third division.
"What the fu$# is this sh*t? I asked for a good affiliation. I wasn't expecting Real Madrid or Manchester United, but I was at least hoping for a club a division above us".

Nicholas sent back an email to Jonas stating that he was not interested in any of the clubs. Not only were they going to cost nearly 10,000 pounds a year, but the clubs were below the standard he was looking for to help develop the youth in the club.

Round 21
50274920f1.jpg
Harstad IL v HamKam

Third placed HamKam travel to 7th place Harstad in what will surely define their two seasons. HamKam sit 5 points behind leaders Moss whilst Harstad sit on 30 points, 9 points behind the leader. Harstad will be desperate for a win to keep any chances of a title alive. HamKam have set out in a 4-4-2 to hopefully exploit their wingers pace.

The starting lineup for Harstad is as followed.
58153a2601.jpg

Youngster J.Jakobsen keeps his place in goal after a decent game last time out, whilst Jorgensen remains on the bench after Johansen had an impressive spell last match.

Result
Harstad IL 1 v 2 HamKam
Hassan(39,94), Kjelseth(66).

HamKam dented Harstad's title chances in the 39th minute after a long ball was hit over the top before an early cross saw Hassan head home from close range. That was Mustafa Hassan's 12th goal of the season.

Jorgensen came on in the 40th minute to replace the injured Johansen and made an immediate impact after winning a penalty a minute later as he was tripped in the box. Balteskard stepped up to the spot. How was his nerve? Composed? Anxious? Anxious it was as he hit the post and the ball went out for a throw-in. Safe to say Laurent was furious down on the touchline.

However that would all change in the 66th minute when Bakke and Kjelseth would link up for a moment of magic and contender of team-goal of the season. Bakke picked the ball up on the side of the 18 yard box from a Fjellstad throw in before playing a quick one two to Kjelseth. As Bakke received the return ball, he back healed it into Kjelseth's path as he volleyed home into the top right corner. The goal sent not only the stand into a frenzy, but manager Laurent could of been mistaken for Gus Poyet with his celebrations.

However, in the 94th minute, HamKam were awarded a freekick. The ball was floated into the area where striker Hassan once again was in the right place as he headed home.

As Laurent went into the shed, the mood was down. Another set-piece had cost the boys.
"Look lads, don't get too down. You played well just silly mistakes cost us in the end. Next week we need to get the 3 points. We were unlucky today not to get a point."

As Nicholas sat in his office, Sebastien knocked on the door.

"Mind if I come in boss?"

"Of course, what's up?"

"Look, I've been thinking about my future and I don't want to be playing second fiddle much longer. At season's end, I think I will be moving away from the club in order to try and find a managerial position."

Nicholas was taken back a bit by his assistant's statement, but nodded in agreement.
"You should. You're far too good to be playing second fiddle to a fool like me. To tell you the truth, I might be gone next season as well. Don't get me wrong, I like the club and the players are good, I've just been on the lookout for vacant positions. If I go, I'll put in a good word for you and you could take over the seat. If that's what you want?"

Sebastien seemed happy with Laurent's statement.
"Well if that's what you want, then of course I'd be happy with that. I won't tell anyone about our conversation. I'll see you Monday."

Sebastien left the office leaving Nicholas with a lot to think about.

ardoi

Really impressive so far, I'm very interested in following this! Keep it up! :)
Thanks man. I've been reading your story and have enjoyed it so far as well. Might see myself in the Swedish league soon if things don't start going well with Hastard. :p

Thanks man. I've been reading your story and have enjoyed it so far as well. Might see myself in the Swedish league soon if things don't start going well with Hastard. :p

Thank you! Yeah that would be interesting, but I'm sure you can do well with Harstad, at least until a better job comes along :)

Round 22

ca44c8c567.jpg
Medkila vs Harstad IL

Match preview

Last place and already relegated Medkila will be looking for their first win of the season against struggling Harstad. Medkila who have only managed 4 points all season (all of which have been draws) will be seen as underdogs in a match where Harstad should bag all 3 points in a game that could rejuvenate their season.

The starting lineup for Harstad is as followed.
a8b5da28cb.jpg

Youngster J. Jakobsen keeps his place in the starting lineup whilst Jorgensen replaces the injured Johansen who will watch on the bench.

Result

Medkila 1 vs 2 Harstad IL
Balteskard (20), Schjelderup (34), F.Johansen(70)

In the 20th minute, some good build up play saw Balteskard flick a header into the path of Jorgensen who slided passed the keeper to give the visitors the deserved lead.

The hosts managed to equalize in the 34th minute after some poor defending which saw Bjorklund and Schjelderup link up in the box before Schjelderup slotted home.

In the 70th minute, a well worked corner saw F.Johansen head home from close range. Johnsen whipped the ball into the back post where Marcus Ursin Ingebrigtsen headed the ball back into danger and F.Johansen was on his toes to get his first goal of the year. The center halves linked up well there.

No shock result today, however Medkila played surprisingly well and were unlucky to not claim a point from that match, not that Nicholas cared.

Round 23
ac569c71a7.png

Harstad IL v Finnsnes

Match preview
With the title lost no longer a target, Harstad will be looking to beat 4th placed Finnsnes who sit three points above them. A win today would take them equal on points, however Finnsnes have a superior goal difference. Finnsnes striker Jonas Simonsen has been on fire this season scoring 18 goals in 21 appearances. In the two seasons he has been at Finnsnes he has bagged 50 goals in just 43 appearances. Considering he cost Finnsnes nothing, you can expect that in the next window he will command a hefty price tag.

Harstad front man Jorgensen hasn't lived up to his 11.5k price tag, bagging only 3 goals in 9 appearances for the club along with 1 assist. Nicholas Laurent stated that although Jorgensen has been lacking in goals, he still feels the player contributes in other areas of the game.

"Although he isn't scoring as much as he would like, if you watch our games and most of our goals, he has contributed in the build up play in some way or another. Of course he would like more, but I still see him as a valuable member of this team."

Starting lineup

5ca5aeea26.jpg

J.Jakobsen has seemingly displaced first choice goalkeeper Resulbegovic, whilst the only change is S. Jakobsen coming in to replace Johnsen.

Result
Harstad 1 IL v 1 Finnsnes
Andreassen (29), Kjelseth (85).

In the 29th minute, favorites Finnsnes opened the scoring with a well worked goal which saw Glenn Martin Andreassen volley home to give the visitors the lead.

At half-time Laurent told the lads they hadn't been good enough. Sloppy play had lead them give the visitors the lead and that they needed to do this one for the fans. Give them something to cheer about.

Things changed in the 85th minute when from 25 yards out, Kjelseth unleashed a bullet that ricocheted off the crossbar into the back of the net. It may have taken 85 minutes, but that was the reaction Laurent was looking for.

Despite salvaging a draw, Laurent wasn't too pleased with the overall performance and let the lads know.

"I'm happy that we salvaged a point, but I am not happy with the performance today boys. Next week we need a much better display. We can't afford to give away any points."

The team agreed with Laurent and seemed to react well to his analysis of the game.

Player meetings

Despite the recent results and the negatives surrounding them, one positive has been the sudden form of Kjelseth and Laurent wanted to make sure that he knew how much he appreciated how hard he had been working.

Magnus Kjelseth approached Nicholas Laurent's office before being gestured in.

"Magnus, great goal today mate. Absolutely cracker."

"Thanks boss, I'm surprised it went in to tell you the truth! So why did you call me into your office? Did I do something wrong?"

"No, quite the opposite. I was just wanting to let you know how impressed I have been with your recent form. It's drastically improved and it has been a positive in our recent bad run of form. I'm hoping you can continue the form and help pick the team back up off its feet."

"Thanks boss, I've been pretty happy with my form as well. I hope it continues, I'll do the best I can for the team and for you. Is there anything else?"

"Nah that's it for now, I'll see you on Monday for training."

Another play that Laurent wanted to talk to was Jorgensen. He hadn't been firing as he was in the early part of the season and with increased media speculation, Laurent wanted to make sure that the striker knew what was required of him and that he had his back 100 percent.

"Jorgensen, how are you feeling after the game?"

"Pretty tired boss, annoyed I didn't get on the sheet again."

"That's exactly what I've been wanting to talk to you about. I know you haven't been scoring many recently and I could sit here and blast you for that, but I know you've contributed to other parts of our game. I just want you to know that I have every bit of faith in you getting back to your scoring ways and finishing the season strong."

"Thanks boss. I know that I need to do better and I'll work really hard to try to get better in front of goal. I really appreciate your support."

Jorgensen left the room seemingly more happier than when he arrived which gave Laurent a sense of relief. Hopefully Jorgensen can silence his critics and start bagging in the goals, even with only 3 games left in the season.

Laurent walked to his car after everyone had left. It was 7PM and it was absolutely freezing.
"No wonder the season stops before winter!" Muttered Laurent as he fiddled for his keys.
"Nicholas! Wait!" Sebastien came out from behind the changerooms and approached Laurent in the carpark.

"What's up Sebastien? I'm on my way home!"

"I know, but I've been meaning to talk to you. You need to get your next level in qualifications. Go for your National B License. It will improve your chances of finding another job at a better club. Talk to Jonas about getting the club to pay for it, they did it for me so I'm sure they'd do it for you."

Laurent thought about it for a second. "You're right, I probably should go for the next stage. I've just been so stressed out that I haven't even thought about it. I'll email Jonas tomorrow and arrange to get it all setup. Thanks for reminding me."

Sebastien walked back into the change rooms to fetch his things as Laurent drove away.

Nicholas Laurent starts his National B License

After consultation with his staff and the chairman, Harstad have agreed to pay the
£600 fee for the course to enable Laurent to progress with his license. The course will take roughly 4 months to complete.

Laurent stated that it was an important step in the progression of his managerial career.

Round 24

e8bb38b6a2.png
Eidsvold Turn v Harstad IL

Match preview

Eidsvold host Harstad in what is a vital game in their bid for survival. Eidsvold are in 11th place on 27 points whilst Valerenga 2 sit in the final relegation spot on are on 23 points. A win today and if Valerenga 2 lose would mathematically guarantee survival for Eidsvold. Harstad will be looking to spoil the party though as they try to finish the season on a high note.

Manager Nicholas Laurent stated that the mood among the players is good and he expects three points today.
Starting lineup
31b2ecd039.jpg

Resulbegovic finds himself back in the lineup after youngster J.Jakobsen has been dropped. Johnsen has been dropped for S.Jakobsen with the rest of the team remaining unchanged.

Result

Eidsvold Turn 1 v 2 Harstad IL
Jorgensen (1), Nordlie (43), S. Jakobsen (78)

Things got off to an absolute flier in this encounter when Eidsvold lost the ball from the kick off. Jorgensen picked the ball up and his attempted cross managed to find its way into the back of the net. An absolute fluke of a goal with only 21 seconds on the clock, but any goal is a good goal. I'm sure in the change rooms he will be telling the lads that he 'meant that'.

Things changed when in the 42nd minute Marcus Ursin Ingebrigtsen "brought down" Eidsvold winger Kristoffer Trandum Nordlie in the box in what most would describe a very theatrical piece of work. Nordlie then recovered from the gunshot wound he had just suffered and drilled the ball home from the spot.

Going into the break, the lads were furious and it was up to Nicholas to calm them down.
"Look we all know it wasn't a penalty, don't worry I'll be voting him for best actor of the year, but we can win this game and if we keep playing football, we will win. Just keep calm and the goal will come."

The team seemed to react well to Nicholas' encouragement and went out to begin the second half.

After Eidsvold applied the handbrake in order to obtain a point to pretty much guarantee their survival in the league, it was only a matter of time before the deadlock was broken. In the 78th minute, a long ball up by F. Johansen found its way to D. Johansen who then hit an early cross into the box to find S. Jakobsen running unmarked at the back post for him to tap home.

"Well done lads, we fought hard and grinned the result out against a stubborn defence."

Nicholas was later informed that Jorgensen's goal was a record in the second division, beating the previous fastest goal by 15 seconds.

Staff update

Christian Johansen has started his National B License. The Harstad goalkeeping coach will have his course fee covered by the club as he attempts to gain valuable experience the help the club.

Round 25
8965048381.jpg
Harstad IL v Mo IL

Match preview

6th placed Harstad undertake 5th place Mo in what is set to be a blockbuster of a game. Both teams are wanting to finish within the top half of the league and with only one point separating them (37 and 38 respectively), we are expecting an entertaining game of attacking football. Harstad have been in good form picking up 10 points in their last 5 league games.

Starting lineup

32d46dba89.jpg

There are no changes to the lineup for Harstad this week.

However fans will be encouraged to hear that striker Hans-Vilhelm Willassen is reportedly set to appear on the bench in the last match of the season. Willassen was in good form before his season was cut short after he broke his ankle in the round 13 encounter against Kvik Halden.

Result

Harstad IL 3 v 3 Mo IL
Nilsen (3), Rade (O.G 6), R.Jakobsen(7, 73), Jorgensen (85), Kjelseth(92)

Mo were awarded a controversial penalty in the 3rd minute after defender Fjellstad seemed to of won the ball right on the edge of the box. Hugo Nilsen stepped up to the spot and sent Resulbegovic the wrong way to give the visitors the lead.

However in the 6th minute, Fjellstad rectified his 'mistake' by whipping in a dangerous ball into the box which saw Jorgensen latch onto the end of it and head home from in front of the near post. After later review it was deemed that it had taken a deflection on the way in and would be put down as an own goal by Rade.

The joy would be short lived as Mo immediately restored their lead from the kickoff. Lackluster defending saw Remi Jakobsen bag his 14th of the season as he took the ball from half way and ran through the defence like a hot knife through butter.

In the 73rd minute Remi Jakobsen extended Mo IL's lead when he curled home a freekick from 25 yards giving Resulbegovic no chance.

Harstad weren't going down without a fight when in the 85th minute Jorgensen found himself unmarked on the penalty spot before he volleyed home. It was a well worked corner by the hometeam to setup a grandstand finish.

And then it happened.

In the 92nd minute, after everyone was behind the ball for Mo and Harstad launched bodies forward, it was the man that Laurent had called upon to carry the team. Kjelseth picked the ball up in space and with a first time finish he blasted home off the post, from 25 yards out.

Let's just say things got a little bit crazy as Laurent took his shirt off and started swirling it around, which lead to him being cautioned by the referee, but like **** Laurent cared.

Post-game

The boys entered the shed buzzing after managing to salvage a draw from that game when all seemed lost, and Laurent shared that buzz with the players.

"Simply put boys, f$%k%ng superb! I am proud of all of you. You dug deep and managed to get a point from that. There's one game left in the season boys, let's finish on a high."

Last edited:
Round 26
4b8f51101d.png

Lørenskog v Harstad

Match preview

Hello and welcome to our live coverage of the last round of the Norwegian Second Division Group 4. Today we have 7th place Lorenskog taking on 6th place Harstad in a game were both teams are playing for pride. Both teams have been on a good run of form recently and will be hoping to finish the season on a high. Manager Nicholas Laurent stated that he fully expects his players to end the season on a positive note.

"Last game of the season with nothing to play for you wouldn't blame the players for taking their foot of the gas, not my lads though. We will go out there wanting the three points and will be giving our fans something to cheer about on the final day of the season."

The league as it stands
30b1a272a8.jpg

We are in for a close finish today at both ends of the table. KFUM Oslo are in pole position to be crowned champions requiring only one point to win, however if they were to lose and Moss win, Moss' superior goal difference would see them sneak into first place. A look at the other end of the table and 12 place Valerenga 2 visit Mo in a must win game for them. Valerenga sit only one point from survival and would need Eidsvold Turn to see an unlikely defeat as they host already relegated Kjelsas.

ea50789f6d.jpg

Starting lineup

Back to our coverage of Lorenskog v Harstad. Here is the starting lineup for Harstad.
eca6697406.jpg

No change to the lineup, however Harstad fans will be happy to see B. Willassen make a return to the bench after missing three months due to a broken ankle.

Live match

Lørenskog 0 v 0 Harstad
First half

The first half brought about no action in what was a fairly evenly contested half that saw neither keeper really tested. Harstad enjoyed the majority of possession and probably had the best chance when Jorgensen's long range shot was tipped over the bar by the Lorenskog goalkeeper.

Laurent told the boys that they needed to be patient and that it was only a matter of time before they broke the deadlock.

"Don't force it, just be patient boys. We've been better in every department. It will come."

Second half
The second half started like the first with neither side really testing the oppossition keeper, however Lorenskog came close again when Balteskard's close range effort came back off the crossbar. Lorenskog could see themselves unlucky not to be a goal up at that point.

It was then in the 68th minute that both sets of fans rose to their feet to welcome Willassen back onto the field. After missing three months out, Nicholas Laurent felt that he deserved to finish the season where he had left it.
"Just play football mate. No pressure, go out there and enjoy yourself."
Willassen felt a sense of relief before running onto the pitch.

In the 77th minute the deadlock was finally broken. Jorgensen was played in by S. Jakobsen before he managed to get the ball out from under his feet and curl home into the top right corner from 16 yards.

However in the 89th minute, Fellus scored the equaliser which would be the final installment in this match.

Full time
Lørenskog 1 v 1 Harstad
Jorgensen (77), Fellus (89)

Post game

The team entered the away dressing room with mixed emotions. There were a few frustrated faces that they had let another win slip, but Nicholas Laurent wasn't too stressed about the overall situation. The team had been better, but just couldn't finish their chances.

"Unlucky boys that we conceeded at the end there. At least we didn't finish on a negative. Next year we need to work on our finishing, but other than that, today's performance wasn't too bad.
I'll see you all on Monday for when we have our post-season team meeting. Have a good weekend lads."

The league

1b6b41e011.jpg

Logokfum.jpg
a9815ae45d.jpg

KFUM Oslo are crowned champions

KFUM Oslo have been crowned champions after the picked up the one point they required to win the league. It was a nervy finish as news filtered into the stadium that Moss had gone 3-1 late into extra time which saw the KFUM Oslo team sit back and absorb a 5 minute bombardment from Drobak-Frogn

At the other end of the table Valerenga 2's 2-1 away win against Mo was not enough to see them avoid the drop after Eidsvold Turn brushed aside Kjelsas to remain in the league.

7a7eb1f33a.jpg

Press conference

Nicholas filtered into the media room after his sides' 1-1 draw and was greeted by a small group of journalist. It had been an okay season, nothing great, nothing bad, and the generic questions started to be thrown at him.

"How do you rate your teams season?"

"It was an okay season. At one point we looked like we could challenge for the title, however stupid mistakes cost us any real shot at that. Overall though, I am happy how the players performed."

"This was your first season in charge of a football club. Where do you see yourself next year? Still at Harstad? And how did you enjoy the experience?"

"Being a manager isn't as easy as it seems and I can now emphasis with all the managers on TV when I give them stick! It was a wonderful experience and I hope I'm in the managerial game for a long time.

"That's great, but you didn't answer my first question. Will you be the Harstad manager next season?"

Nicholas had hoped he had distracted the journalist with his answer that he would of forgotten the first part. However that was not to be the case.

"Look, I am contracted on as the Harstad manager for another season. I don't want to talk too much about my future and where I will be, but for the mean time, yes I will be here."

Laurent's media officer stepped in before concluding the press conference.

As Laurent walked back to his office he was met by his assistant Sebastien.

Nicholas, I think it's an appropriate time for us to analyse the season and to review it."

Great, just what he had been wanting to avoid until Monday and as he walked into his office, Jonas was sitting down waiting for the pair.

"Well I guess we have to do it now." Mumbled Laurent as he took his place behind the desk.