Nigel Adkins sacked by Southampton.

JP Woody

Reaction score
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Southampton have sacked manager Nigel Adkins after two-and-a-half years in charge and appointed unknown Argentine Mauricio Pochettino as manager.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Personally speaking i think this is a shocking and disgusting decision and i hope they crash and burn back to 22nd in league 1 were they were when Adkins took over. What goes through these foreign owners heads?

FULL STORY HERE

[/FONT]

Southampton have sacked manager Nigel Adkins after two-and-a-half years in charge and appointed unknown Argentine Mauricio Pochettino as manager.

Personally speaking i think this is a shocking and disgusting decision and i hope they crash and burn back to 22nd in league 1 were they were when Adkins took over. What goes through these foreign owners heads?

FULL STORY HERE

Pochettino is actually quite good, but the decision to sack him is mental. Also hard to pick on foreign owners. British ones dont often cover themselves in glory either. And Saints owners have done a lot of good for the club.

He took them 52 places up to where they are now, absolutely shocking decision tbh, looking at sky sports all morning and no saints fans are happy.

What doesn't go through their heads is common sense. Like I posted on the PL thread it's just incredibly stupid, with time to turn things around. I expect Adkins to be back in employment soon though-very, very talented manager. It's just absolutely mindboggling

Disgusting decision, Adkins had them playing some good stuff as well. Even when you forget about the back to back promotions he guided them through, he still has them 3 points off relegation....

Really is appalling treatment, especially considering they just got a great result at Chelsea as well... I don't know much about the manager they have took on but he has no Premier League experience so it is a gamble. I have no idea where they saw the logic in this decision.

Wgile I'm happy for Pocchetino, this is an absolutely appaling decision, the southampton board is probably just a bunch of ungrateful ***** and I really hope we completely destroy them this weekend.

What baffles me is that they were in their best form so far. Has to be more to it

Pochettino is actually quite good, but the decision to sack him is mental. Also hard to pick on foreign owners. British ones dont often cover themselves in glory either. And Saints owners have done a lot of good for the club.

Yeah so good Espanyol sacked him after he guided them to the bottom of La Liga.

Just put £50 on Southampton to go down at 7/4 :)

Sam Allardyce and Blackburn all over again.

Yeah so good Espanyol sacked him after he guided them to the bottom of La Liga.

Just put £50 on Southampton to go down at 7/4 :)

Sam Allardyce and Blackburn all over again.

After 2 good years in a tough situation. They were 3rd bottom when he joined, took them to 11th, and then 8th the following season despite being tipped for relegation both times, playing some effective and pleasing football. Started the 3rd season badly, board got trigger happy and sacked him in november.

Last edited:
What baffles me is that they were in their best form so far. Has to be more to it

Just listening to a Spanish football corespondant now, and he's just admitted he's known that something was going to happen at the club for the past couple of days. Which makes it even more stupid to replace him after the Chelsea result

Edit-biographer not journo

Last edited:
Lets see how he does in this tough situation then because he has the fans and players to win over. Hope his English is good.

Edited my post above, but yeah he has to hit the ground running.

Just listening to a Spanish football corespondant now, and he's just admitted he's known that something was going to happen at the club for the past couple of days. Which makes it even more stupid to replace him after the Chelsea result

Edit-biographer not journo

I dont agree with the decision at all. It seems ridiculous. The timing for me couldnt be any worse.

Edited my post above, but yeah he has to hit the ground running.

In your honest opinion do you think he will be a success? And im saying success for saints would be staying up this season and long term becoming a solid mid table team.

In your honest opinion do you think he will be a success? And im saying success for saints would be staying up this season and long term becoming a solid mid table team.

Long term, I would say he would be more successful. Short term, he is a very good firefighter in terms of relegation, but he also being thrown into the deep end with little time to learn the differences, very little room for error. Had this been the summer and Saints finished 17th and just stayed up, i'd say good calculated call to push them on.

But to do it now? Dangerous and unnecessary gamble.

I dont agree with the decision at all. It seems ridiculous. The timing for me couldnt be any worse.

Well, if our gaffer decides not to renew his contract may be worth a punt. Has the building blocks there. Excellent youth players, international players with tonnes of experience. Granted we'll lose Fellaini, but with the remaining players I think he'd do a very good job personally

What a shame, I thought he doing ok, I hope he gets another job very soon.

What a shame, I thought he doing ok, I hope he gets another job very soon.

He will. There will be Championship clubs right now looking at sacking their managers with a view of bringing him in.

He will. There will be Championship clubs right now looking at sacking their managers with a view of bringing him in.

Should have been given the rest of the season, no matter what happened, and then a decision made. Deserved that.

Bet you Southampton will get relegated. QPR must be so glad this has happend. It's increased their chance of survival