Norway: Blast near prime minister's office in Oslo

It truly is. I went to school and played football with two guys on the island, and even though they're OK physically, I'll hopefully never know excactly how they're feeling right now.

Something you wouldnt wish on your worst enemy. Hearing reports a second gunman was there?

He could well have been linked, and he also mentioned he was a psychopath (which is a given if you do something like this), and he didnt call it a fact, so no need to "sigh" at his post, when there is so much unknown right now.

I just think we should wait a bit before we yell Gaddafi or Al-Qaeda. He's a Norwegian ethnic man and there is nothing yet to suggest he's linked at all with any terror group. Also a Norwegian party's summer camp would be an incredibly weird terror target.

I just think we should wait a bit before we yell Gaddafi or Al-Qaeda. He's a Norwegian ethnic man and there is nothing yet to suggest he's linked at all with any terror group. Also a Norwegian party's summer camp would be an incredibly weird terror target.

Its packed full of innocent and fairly young civilians, tragically its a very good terror target

Quick question does Norway carry the death penalty? I'd hate to think he would get away with life in prison.

Quick question does Norway carry the death penalty? I'd hate to think he would get away with life in prison.

Not sure. In any rate, not sure he'd survive prison

Something you wouldnt wish on your worst enemy. Hearing reports a second gunman was there?

Apparently the police are looking for a 2nd gunmen, yeah. They don't expect another attack though I don't think..

Can we stop with all the petty arguing about whether someone claimed fact or not? No need for it at all - thoughts should be with everyone in Norway, and any injured survivors.

Yes, witnesses have described a second person.

No, our toughest punishment is 21 years in prison.

So a man has been charged with 2 counts of terrorism (doesn't mean links to Al-Qaeda of course) and most reports saying, as I thought yesterday, that it's a nationalist attack and doesn't seem related to Islamic terror groups but until everything is cleared up, we won't know.

One thing, though: Top credit to the Emergency Services in Oslo particularly, who reacted quickly and cordoned off the area in a very short amount of time. Couldn't possibly have predicted the second attack, and even so they've got their man (or what seems to be their man) very quickly. Hopefully they've saved many more people than they've lost.

trbngr said:
No, our toughest punishment is 21 years in prison.

21 years for killing 90 + people, I don't even know what to say to that.

One thing I'm worried about is Norway's very culture itself. Norway (and indeed most Scandinavian countries it seems) are far more open than the UK: politicians, important people and even royalty can mingle with the general public easily. This may well destroy that general innocence and lack of security, which would be a horrible shame.

Went to bed, just woke up, and seen the news, and the first thought that hit my mind was just effing christ. Didn't think the toll was going to rise so dramatically. Absolutely staggering. Like Godcubed pretty much said, this is going to change the country majorly. And it'll probably lead to other nations who have a similar way of life, to pretty much taking some sort of action that will change their way of life aswell. The ripple effect.

Erm I did mean to say ''according to US networks'' last post think I tapped it in on my phone wrong. And I did say it wasn't Al Qaeda, I also thought it was Qadaffi a few hours earlier so god knows what that shows you about my intuition on this matter, it's god awful. US Intelligence looks like they got it wrong in what they told US networks in the first few hours...Who'd have thought. 'Fundementalist Christian' psychopath now, makes no difference they're all psychopaths who latch onto religous beliefs to self justify his actions. The death toll is what the media should have expected, 3 automatic guns on an island alone with 700 people for one hour, shocking. Baring in mind Mads I'm on my phone so lay off if I forgot 'I think' somewhere.

Last edited:
The guy is a conservative and Fundamental Christian and the attack was carried out because he was unhappy with the countries handling of multiculterism (hence why the PM was targetted). The attack has nothing to do with Gaddafi or Al Queda. Just a nut job extremist who wanted to make a point to the government. Also the island that he attacked the PM was due to visit a few hours later. Horrific tradgedy. Some of the stories from the survivors are just horrifying

Sky are saying the maximum term he can serve in prison is 21 years. If true that is ridiculous.

It's 21 years plus custody, so it's possible he could stay there indefinitely.

Nice touch in the Super Cup (Schalke v Borrusia Dortmund) with a last minute minutes silence. Extrememly well observed by nearly everyone bar a few simpletons.

Nice touch in the Super Cup (Schalke v Borrusia Dortmund) with a last minute minutes silence. Extrememly well observed by nearly everyone bar a few simpletons.

Been happening in the friendlies too. The least people can do when being watched by millions of people and being paid millions of pounds.

One thing I've noticed is the people are referring to him now as a madman or crazy, before when it was believed it was linked to Islamic fundamentalists, it was "terrorism".

This man meticulously planned and executed two devastating attacks with military like precision. If that is not terrorism, I dont know what it. Time we started looking much harder at ALL extremists rather than just those of Islam