AlexMiguel

Reaction score
Another year of FM and another chance to get my hometown in Portugal promoted to the top flight. I've probably played about 5-6 versions of FM and I rarely play with anyone but Sport Clube de Freamunde. The first version of FM that I played was in 2006 and I managed to win the UCL with Futebol Clube do Porto. I haven't done anything notable since. I've only managed to get Freamunde promoted once in FM.

I've already played 4 seasons in the FM17 version, here's how I went:
View attachment 115588

View attachment 115587

View attachment 115586

View attachment 115585

I use this player guide, that I created, to help me determine which players are good enough to sign and which players aren't:
View attachment 115584

View attachment 115583

Every preseason I prepare a spreadsheet where I calculate each players primary, secondary and physical attributes in each of the positions in my formation(s) in order to determine which players are the best in each position. Here's the sample from the coming season:
View attachment 115582

View attachment 115581

As you can see from the screenshots, I put a lot of time into FM. It has been tough to continuously come midtable but every season I've had to sell my key players and try to find replacements from free transfers/young players from Portugal's top flight that are on sale. I've mostly struggled to replace defenders - as you can see, I concede a lot.

My goal is to get Freamunde promoted in my first 10 years at the club. After that it's about maintaining their position in the top flight. Anything else would be a bonus.

Any suggestions on how I could improve my chances of achieving that goal? I feel like the time that I'm putting into the game may not be in the right direction but having seen some posts on the forum, it seems like a lot of people aren't doing too well either.

Last edited:
December 2020 - Midseason report

December 2020 - Midseason report
I'm half way through season 5. I spent most of the season in 1st despite feeling like this was my second worst team so far and a media prediction of 8th. I've made some changes from my previous 4 seasons of average results.

I usually play a 4-3-3 and I've been taking advise from my assistant for the first time in terms of varying the approach of the team to suit the opposition from counter, standard and control. I had previously ignored all suggestions which hadn't worked for me.

I also changed from WB's (support) to FB's (support) which has meant that I haven't conceded nearly as much as I had in previous seasons.

Ladder
View attachment 115058

Fixtures
View attachment 115057

Team Stats
View attachment 115056
View attachment 115055
View attachment 115054
View attachment 115053
View attachment 115052
View attachment 115051
View attachment 115050
View attachment 115049
View attachment 115048

Individual Stats
View attachment 115047
View attachment 115046
View attachment 115045
View attachment 115044
View attachment 115043

Where to from here?

I'm pleased with the performances and results of the team considering the squad.
I want to push for a top 2 spot but I think I'll need to improve on some positions during the January transfer window: Winger (Attacking right and/or left), CM (box to box), CB and a GK. Hopefully I'm not forced to sell any players because just before the season started, the club sold my starting complete forward and full back (left). Fortunately, I was able to find replacements with one week to go.

Looks like the new season is going pretty good. I too tend to use my wing backs more as fullbacks to stop the scoring. I tend to run control about 98 percent of the time. Then again I am in a far different league and run a different formation.

However stat wise where you are at looks like you aren't too far off some having some good tactics. Best of luck going for second place. Looks like it is achievable.

Season 5

Looks like the new season is going pretty good. I too tend to use my wing backs more as fullbacks to stop the scoring. I tend to run control about 98 percent of the time. Then again I am in a far different league and run a different formation.

However stat wise where you are at looks like you aren't too far off some having some good tactics. Best of luck going for second place. Looks like it is achievable.

I've mostly used control but there have been games where I've used counter, especially in the Portuguese Cup where I've faced teams from the first division. I beat Guimaraes 3-0 and then lost to Academica 5-4.

View attachment 115032

View attachment 115031

Formation
These have evolved considerably during the previous 4 seasons. Initially I had two 4-3-3 formations (one more defensive/inside forwards/wingers) and a 4-2-3-1 formation. As you can see below, now I have three completely different formations. I barely use the 4-2-2-2 formation because I get dominated in midfield. I tried to use it last season when I was behind to little affect.

View attachment 115026

View attachment 115025

View attachment 115024

Team Instructions
My team instructions are the same for every formation. I've also evolved these, but only slightly. I changed the tempo from higher to much higher and in attack I did dribble less (at this level, there were too many mistakes which meant I conceded a lot of goals from counter attacks) and removed look for overlap.

View attachment 115023

Club History

I probably should have made this my first post but here is a brief history of SC Freamunde. The reason why I like to manage them on FM is because my parents are from Freamunde and my earliest memories are from the two years I spent there. My grandfather that turned me into a football fanatic supported FC Porto and SC Freamunde so I've loved both clubs ever since.

View attachment 114905

Nickname: Os Capões (The Roosters)
Stadium: Campo SC Freamunde

View attachment 114904

Honours: Portuguese Second Division: 1998–99, 2006–07 and Campeonato Nacional de Seniores: 2013–14

Freamunde started when cardinal António Filipe watched a group of children playing in the streets of Freamunde, and decided to start a club, arranging for kits gratuitously. It was first called Freamunde Sport Clube.

Another clergyman (hence the Star of David), Padre Castro, was the main responsible for the club's early professional foundations. In 1933, the team started playing matches in a field owned by him, the Campo do Carvalhal. Two years later, the club started competing in Liga Invicta – known in later years as the second division – doning the colours which would last for the following decades: blue shirt and socks and white shorts. The league folded however two years later, and the team started playing in Campeonato da Promoção, after joining Porto's Football Association.

In 1944, Freamunde's first status were outlined – five years later, Castro died. In 1999, after two consecutive promotions, the club first reached the new second level, lasting two seasons, and returning again for the 2007–08 campaign after being crowned champions of the third division (Northern Zone).​

January 2020

Transfer update:
As I had said before, I was looking for a
Winger (Attacking right and/or left), CM (box to box), CB and a GK. Unfortunately, I was only able to buy a better GK and get back Marlon Freitas from loan who was a better option then my reserve CM's. I lost my reserve CB so I'm hoping I have no injuries or I'll have to play my 4th choice CB.

I also couldn't get rid of Frimpong.

In:
View attachment 114878

Out:
View attachment 114877

June 2021 - Champions!

June 2021 - Champions!

After 5 seasons in Portugal's second tier, I've finally managed to get my hometown Freamunde promoted to the top flight. My goal for the next 5 years is to stay up and win the league. Below is the final review for the end of the season. I'll update the thread further after the transfer window - I plan to keep the core of the squad and replace the worst players in the current squad with future starters.

Interesting to note with the statistics.. Freamunde absolutely dominate the team statistics but not necessarily the individual statistics.

Ladder

It's clear to see that my tactical adjustment of converting the wing backs to full backs helped to concede far less without negatively impacting on the amount of goals being scored.

View attachment 114529
View attachment 114528

Manager
View attachment 114527
View attachment 114526

Team Awards/Stats
View attachment 114525
View attachment 114524
View attachment 114523
View attachment 114522
View attachment 114521
View attachment 114520
View attachment 114519
View attachment 114518

View attachment 114517
View attachment 114516
View attachment 114515

Individual Awards/Stats
View attachment 114514
View attachment 114513
View attachment 114512
View attachment 114511
View attachment 114510
View attachment 114509
View attachment 114508
View attachment 114507
View attachment 114506

Board
View attachment 114505

August 2021 - Season Preview

August 2021 - Season Preview

I'm about to start the season so I thought I'd give you all an update. I haven't been able to strengthen the squad as much as I would have hoped but I'll update you all on the final squad once the transfer win is closed. For now, I'll post the media predictions for the season and friendly results.

Media Prediction
To be honest, I'm confident I won't come last. I base this on my friendly results were I did well against Everton and I drew with Braga (who are a top 4 side) in round 1.
View attachment 114264

Friendly Results
View attachment 114263

September 2021 - Transfer Window

September 2021 - Transfer Window

Transfers
These were my transfers for the July and August transfer window. Most of the players out on loan are from the youth team.
View attachment 114156

View attachment 114155
View attachment 114154

Squad
I was trying to sell a few midfielders (I have way too many) but no club wanted them even when I offered them for no transfer fee. I haven't been able to improve the squad from my successful 2020/2021 season in the second tier so it will be interesting to see how I go in my first season in the top flight.

View attachment 114153
View attachment 114152

January 2022 - Midseason Report

January 2022 - Midseason Report
Ladder
I'm happy with the way the team is performing and sitting on the ladder. As you can see from the results below, I started the season losing a lot of close matches and I've started to go on a bit of an undefeated run in the last 10 matches (only losing 1). Unfortunately, most of the results are draws.
View attachment 113753

Results
View attachment 113752

Team Stats

As you can see, some of the team statistics are unbelievable. Unfortunately, I have no players in the top player statistics. I'm will be trying to improve all areas of my team, apart from the complete forwards, during the January transfer window. I don't think I'll be too successful. My scouts haven't found too many quality players despite having +15 attributes in the scouting attributes. Would this be because I only have 3 scouts? Should I get more? Or is it because I only have the Portuguese and Brazilian leagues as playable?
View attachment 113751
View attachment 113750
View attachment 113749
View attachment 113748

Preseason

One thing that I have noticed - the two previous seasons where I had a 5 week preseason, the team performed above expectations. I only had a 4 week preseason this time around (as I wanted to see the effect) and despite performing above expectations, I had a lot of injuries to key players early on in the season.

February 2022 - Transfer Window

February 2022 - Transfer Window
In
I signed two players:
View attachment 113694

Wilson Eduardo - the oldest player I've signed in two seasons or more. He'll be playing as Inside Forward (left/right) - my inside forwards have been inconsistent so I needed some back up/ a replacement.
View attachment 113693

Thiago - both my Full Backs (left) are 29 and aren't being as consistent as they were in the second tier (no surprise) so I've decided to buy a young player who is better than both and I can build for the future. I'll probably make a fortune off him in a few seasons.
View attachment 113692

Out
I managed to get rid (even just temporarily) some of the players I haven't been using.
View attachment 113691

Tactics
I've adjusted my tactics a bit more. I've added mark tighter and tackle harder to all of my players bar the two Central Defenders. In terms of results, I've seen a short term benefit already with 2 wins in 3 games.

Offers

I've had offers from Maritimo, Estorial, Academica and Braga during the current season. I was tempted by Braga but didn't go for the interview. If I get offered a meeting with one of the big five Portuguese clubs (Porto, Braga, Benfica, Sporting and Guimaraes), should I take the offer?

May 2022 - Season Review

May 2022 - Season Review
Ladder
Survived on goal difference. I lost to Guimaraes 2-0 on the final day of the season but fortunately our arch rivals did us a favour and beat Olhanense 1-0.
View attachment 113657

View attachment 113656

Team Stats
View attachment 113655
View attachment 113654

View attachment 113653
View attachment 113652
View attachment 113651

Individual Stats
View attachment 113650

Under 19's
Unbelievable season by the under 19's team, won the cup final against Sporting and also won the league. Unfortunately, I think only one player is good enough to step up to the first team next season. They still have another year to prove themselves.
View attachment 113649
View attachment 113648

Future Plans
The club has announced that it is looking to build a bigger stadium. Hopefully more revenue will allow the club to turn a profit for once and also allow me to recruit better players.
View attachment 113647

June 2022 - Team of the Year
I forgot to post this before. Despite just avoiding relegation on goal difference, my central defender Escoval, who I bought from Braga B or Benfica B a few seasons ago, is the only player outside of the big 3 clubs to make the Team of the Year for 2011/22. It's an incredible achievement considering he only got his chance after an injury to my first choice central defender (he was initially my 3rd choice).
View attachment 113516

September 2022 - Season Preview/Transfers
Media Prediction
View attachment 113375

Transfers
Thankfully Manchester City bought Jose Luis who came from my youth academy for $1.7 million plus add ons. It has allowed me to drastically strength my squad and the club is now in a good financial state which has not always been the case. A lot of the transfer in were from B teams which is where I always seem to get bargains from.
View attachment 113374
View attachment 113372
View attachment 113371

Squad
These are the best attribute totals for each position before and after the transfers above:
GK = 237/ Same
FBR = 205/ Same
DC = 229/ 237
DM = 249/ Same
CM = 274/ 286
IFR = 238/ Same
IFL = 227/ 242
WR = 198/ Same
WL = 187/ 209
AP = 197/ Same
F9 = 230/ Same
CF = 292/ Same
View attachment 113370
View attachment 113369

Friendly Results
As you can see, I had a great preseason. I narrowly lost to Manchester City despite dominating in possession. However, I've already played three games in the regular season and it has not started well at all. I've played 2 of the big 5 clubs and my rivals: Lost 2-0 to Guimaraes, lost 5-1 to Benfica and drew 1-1 with Pacos de Ferreira.
View attachment 113368

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, during preseason I was offered two contracts - both from Brazilian clubs in the top flight. One of them being Gremio. I said no to both. As I've said in the past, I'll be tempted to leave for one of the big 5 teams in Portugal.

January 2023 - Midseason Report/Transfer Window
Ladder

As you can see, I'm doing much better than the predicted 17th by the media. I'm hoping to finish in the top half of the table and then in 2023-24 I should be challengoing for a European spot. I've had an offer from Feirense and Setubal but again I refused to attend the interview.

View attachment 112669

Cups
View attachment 112668
View attachment 112667

Fixtures

View attachment 112666

Team Stats

View attachment 112665
View attachment 112664
View attachment 112663
View attachment 112662
View attachment 112661

Individual Stats
View attachment 112660
View attachment 112659
View attachment 112658

Transfers In
View attachment 112657
Transfers Out
View attachment 112656

April 2023 - Season Update

I only do preseason, midseason and end of season updates but it has been a disaster second half of the season. It has been extremely frustrating considering the fantastic start I made - I definitely didn't expect this to happen. I've had a lot of injuries/sick players this season and I'm not sure why as I've always trained with average intensity.

I don't know why it took me so long but I finally made a drastic change to my tactics by creating the 5-3-2 system. We ended up winning the first match playing it against Academica and got a clean sheet!! I thought I'd post a few images of the second half of the season.

Ladder/Cups
View attachment 112647
Fixtures
View attachment 112646
Tactical Changes
View attachment 112645View attachment 112644
Result vs Academica
View attachment 112643