Old Firm backed for Premier move

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 53
  • Views Views 3K
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't have a problem with restructuring the leagues to integrates English, Scottish and Welsh teams into one British league, but that isn't what's being discussed.

No, certainly not.

that wasn't what i was saying - i'm against old firm in england - i think the welsh teams should support their league

i dont want a brittish league at all, i think all clubs should play in their own countries leagues

Last edited:
Personally, I'd prefer a British League. I don't want Celtic to join an English league, as frankly, Celtic's not an English club. With the money Celtic would get, I could see Celtic challenging after a few years. A British FA would also be pretty sweet for trying to get a British WC; 5 of the 10 biggest stadiums in Britain are outwith England (Millenium, Murrayfield, Celtic Park, Ibrox and Hampden).

I don't care if the whole world wanted Rangers and Celtic to join they shouldn't be allowed for several reasons - some of which have already been clarified.

And this is where the whole Cardiff and Swansea argument comes into it. If they're allowed in, why shouldn't Celtic be?

I can't see the old firm wanting to join england anyway. The clubs pride themselves on being Scottish clubs and that goes with their history. On a second note if this idea does not go through half the players have migrated to Boro anyway so if you like it or not after long enough the top players will be in England because of Gordon Strachan and buying all of his players in Scotland.

Strachan was at the Dundee United vs Inverness Caley Thistle game for a third look at Craig Conway and at Inverness striker Adam Rooney. It is inevitable that the Old Firm will eventually come to England admittedly not under the names Celtic and Rangers but as Middlesbrough (mcboro) The New Firm.

let celtic into the championship strachan has half of there team anyway!

but nooo this should never ever happen!!!!!!

I can't see the old firm wanting to join england anyway. The clubs pride themselves on being Scottish clubs and that goes with their history. On a second note if this idea does not go through half the players have migrated to Boro anyway so if you like it or not after long enough the top players will be in England because of Gordon Strachan and buying all of his players in Scotland.

Strachan was at the Dundee United vs Inverness Caley Thistle game for a third look at Craig Conway and at Inverness striker Adam Rooney. It is inevitable that the Old Firm will eventually come to England admittedly not under the names Celtic and Rangers but as Middlesbrough (mcboro) The New Firm.
Of course the old firm would want to join so that they can compete financially with other teams, if you get relegated from the prem you get more money than for winning the spl.

Meh, never going to happen because no one would be able to agree which league they are entered into.

Just to clarify a few reasons:

• Away games to Scotland would put strain on southern clubs' fans like Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham etc. etc.
  • Hooliganism in the war with England vs. Scotland
  • A Manchester United vs. Celtic rivalry may become a lot more fiersome..
  • It's more of a financial lifting for Rangers and Celtic because the Scottish leagues are quite poor and, should they even get relegated, the parachute payment covers their debts.

Rangers are a financial wreck they need money that is why boyd went to cash strapped middlesbroughoO) also kevin thompson signed for boro and took a seven thousand pound wage cut because he wouldnt take a 12 thousand pound cut at rangers so they cashed in. And yes the parachute payments do get you more money over the two years than for winning the SPL for two years. I can understand why they would want to join but realistically i cant see either FA approving it because as i said before they pride themselves on being two completely different nations.

that wasn't what i was saying - i'm against old firm in england - i think the welsh teams should support their league

i dont want a brittish league at all, i think all clubs should play in their own countries leagues

I wasn't talk to you mate, I was talking in general. It wasn't in response to your post. Personally I think a British league would be a fine idea.

In my opinion i wouldn't back a british league because there are 92 clubs in the english league there are another 48 in scotland, then there is the welsh league, which isnt a close shave on league two and northern ireland which would be a track across the sea. It would be too chaotic for all the teams to be in one set of leagues and the divisions would be either too big or there would be too many and it become confusing.

I wasn't talk to you mate, I was talking in general. It wasn't in response to your post. Personally I think a British league would be a fine idea.
i think it would strengthen the game right the way through, not to mention the national side, but there are two many people who couldnt accept it

Why not?

If Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham allowed why not Rangers and Celtic, they dominate the SPL, it would be more challenging for them..

also Berwick is in England but they play in the Scottish League

Rangers are a financial wreck they need money that is why boyd went to cash strapped middlesbroughoO) also kevin thompson signed for boro and took a seven thousand pound wage cut because he wouldnt take a 12 thousand pound cut at rangers so they cashed in. And yes the parachute payments do get you more money over the two years than for winning the SPL for two years. I can understand why they would want to join but realistically i cant see either FA approving it because as i said before they pride themselves on being two completely different nations.

actually? we're not a financial wreck, lol, we're in debt. if we were a financial wreck, would we be spending money? ehhhh no.

bring it on, neither side would challenge for the championship i will garuntee it.

Just to clarify a few reasons:

• Away games to Scotland would put strain on southern clubs' fans like Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham etc. etc.
  • Hooliganism in the war with England vs. Scotland
  • A Manchester United vs. Celtic rivalry may become a lot more fiersome..
  • It's more of a financial lifting for Rangers and Celtic because the Scottish leagues are quite poor and, should they even get relegated, the parachute payment covers their debts.

1 - No, it wouldn't.
2 - Doubtful, maybe an added dimension.
3 - What? We know we're better!;)
4 - Of course it would be beneficial to the Old Firm.

Rangers are very healthy compared to Man Utd and Liverpool.

bring it on, neither side would challenge for the championship i will garuntee it.

Yet only Arsenal has been able to beat us at home for the past 26 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back