• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 53
  • Views Views 3K
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - No, it wouldn't.
2 - Doubtful, maybe an added dimension.
3 - What? We know we're better!;)
4 - Of course it would be beneficial to the Old Firm.

Rangers are very healthy compared to Man Utd and Liverpool.

Yet only Arsenal has been able to beat us at home for the past 26 years.

so that makes you premier league title contenders?

please.... in pre-season a very youthful Manchester United made your senior side look very average. you would be lucky with a 6th place finish in the premier league.

to be fair chaz, home games in the cl cup competiton is very different from the 38 game slog that is the prem, not only that youre pretty poor away from home, and its those games that get you the prem. most of the top sides are immense at home, particularly chelsea.

please.... in pre-season a very youthful Manchester United made your senior side look very average. you would be lucky with a 6th place finish in the premier league.

I've jokingly said we'd demolish yous. I hoped you'd picked up on that. But Celtic (nor Rangers) are Championship teams, and there's a big difference between 6th in the EPL and challenging for the Championship. Also, there's a massive difference between friendlies and the Champions League.

to be fair chaz, home games in the cl cup competiton is very different from the 38 game slog that is the prem, not only that youre pretty poor away from home, and its those games that get you the prem. most of the top sides are immense at home, particularly chelsea.

We're notoriously bad away from home and have been for some time, though we almost had you a few years ago at Old Trafford (the 3-2 game). Our form's also in a slump, as demonstrated in the 4-0 thrashing in Utrecht. However, we've got a bigger stadium than everyone in England but Man Utd, and Rangers have the 5th biggest club stadium in Britain (Old Trafford, Celtic Park, Emirates and St. James' Park are bigger) which we already fill up for most games in Scotland, and a large fanbase, though it doesn't quite challenge Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool's world wide fanbases.

This isn't me trying to say my team's better than yours, as Man Utd are one of the best sides in the world, but I still doubt Celtic would be relegated from the EPL. However, one of the big reasons Man Utd are better is, frankly, money.

you know as well as i do that pre-season is just purely for fitness, the results doesn't have a massive effect.

no one said that Celtic and Rangers would get relegated, i certainly didn't but i did say you would be lucky to finish higher than 6th.

also Berwick is in England but they play in the Scottish League
^ This, along with the Cardiff/Swansea situation.

I don't mind if Celtic and Rangers go to the EPL/Championship and I don't mind if they stay in Scotland, because the whole argument is pointless.

-If they go to England, then the SPL will suffer and probably implode on itself
-If they stay in Scotland, then people will just see them as being worse than the best Welsh teams [well the smart people that notice them will say that.]

Yes, if they go to England it could give Rangers MORE financial stability [let's be honest, they REALLY need the money] and it would give Celtic and Rangers more challenges [I'd kill to see Rangers vs. Chelsea or Celtic vs. Man City regularly, honestly.] But in reality it won't happen because [as has been pointed out] the other clubs in the EPL won't let it happen because they want the English Premier League to remain just that; English. And that brings back up the Swansea/Cardiff situation.

In essence, the argument is completely circular if you go through every possibility. Argue with me if you want, because that is not the point of this post at all ;).

I've jokingly said we'd demolish yous. I hoped you'd picked up on that. But Celtic (nor Rangers) are Championship teams, and there's a big difference between 6th in the EPL and challenging for the Championship. Also, there's a massive difference between friendlies and the Champions League.

We're notoriously bad away from home and have been for some time, though we almost had you a few years ago at Old Trafford (the 3-2 game). Our form's also in a slump, as demonstrated in the 4-0 thrashing in Utrecht. However, we've got a bigger stadium than everyone in England but Man Utd, and Rangers have the 5th biggest club stadium in Britain (Old Trafford, Celtic Park, Emirates and St. James' Park are bigger) which we already fill up for most games in Scotland, and a large fanbase, though it doesn't quite challenge Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool's world wide fanbases.

This isn't me trying to say my team's better than yours, as Man Utd are one of the best sides in the world, but I still doubt Celtic would be relegated from the EPL. However, one of the big reasons Man Utd are better is, frankly, money.
i dont disagree about the fanbase. but the money you would be getting from tv etc is roughly the same as the other top sides give or take a little. and your squad isnt good as those sides. howver i certainly agree that celtic would not be relagated. would they b ea great addition to the premier league? definitely. would they challenge? very unlikely, but a good shout for top 6-8.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

chaz i think ryan meant for premier title when he said championship

Why do Celtic and Rangers want to be in the Coca Cola Championship?

(Yes, I meant Championship - because that's where they will end up if allowed in the Premiership in my opinion)

Last edited:
A few points I can think of as to Rangers and Celtics competitiveness in the EPL.

Obviously stating results that happened in previous years is a completely pointless exercise as there are far more factors in deciding who wins a football game. Home or away, the level of competition (friendly, champions league etc.) The fact that the teams playing now are different to the ones playing at that time, meaning that giving results from 3+ years ago is even more completely pointless especially considering Celtic and Rangers recent decline. Maybe the teams that were playing on those rare occassions the clubs do meet up were just having an off day and were playing ****.

Celtic and Rangers have larger stadiums than almost all teams in the EPL and they manage to fill them up. This could hugely benefit them financially in the long run as clubs make a lot of their money from gate receipts. However from memory a good seat at Old Trafford costs more than a season ticket at either Celtic or Rangers... There is no way in **** that even with stadiums that big they make anywhere near the same amount of money as the large teams in England currently do. No way in ****. If they joined the EPL they would most likely raise ticket prices, would they still be getting as many fans coming to the games?

I think English people tend to highly underestimate the SPL. I for one would love to see the Old Firm play in the Premier League. I just don't want it to happen at the expense of the SPL which it inevitably would be. :(

hense the reason why i reckon Celtic and Rangers would struggle to finish in the top 6 of the premier league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back