One Team, One Ambition.... One City

Tobe

Reaction score

Manchester-City.png

ONE CITY

2nd July 2012 - Etihad Stadium

I stood in the corridor nervous, I held my hand out in front of me, it shook violently, there were people buzzing around everywhere, some patted me on the back or shook my hand. I could see everyone who was walking up and down past me fixating their eyes on me which made me uncomfortable. I kept my head down and took deep breaths. I shut my eyes and wished myself into a calmer state. Too Late! I was tapped on the shoulder and ushered through a concealed door by a very abrupt scruffy looking man. He held my arm as he stopped me a few feet away from another door. "When they call ya name walk through the door ya hear me?" I nodded at him which provoked a semi smile from his unkempt half shaven face. "Good luck chap" he whispered to me as he turned around and disappeared down one of the many corridors. I stood in front of the door now even more nervous and somewhat embarrassingly aware of how much sweat was dripping from my brow. As I wiped it away with the sleeve of my new Armani suit I heard a voice loudly say...

"I would like to announce Manchester City's newest manager and the man we feel will take this club to the next level.... Josep Guardiola!"

That was it! My name was announced. I grabbed the door **** and swiftly opened the door and fell into a sea of camera flashes. The noise was incredible I could hear many gasping and also noticed some excited looking faces which filled me with a bit more confidence. I could just make out a table where there was an empty chair next to the clubs owner Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan. I edged over to the table and took my place alongside Mansour who shook my hand and smiled. We sat there smiling for the cameras until the furore died down, then Mansour whispered into my ear... "There all yours" I took a sip of water from a plastic cup which had been placed for me on the table and then addressed the media.

"Hello everyone, how are you all, it's amazing to be here and I am happy that so many of you have come today. It's really nice to be in England and although I am yet to see a wet day Mansour tells me by the end of the month I'll be begging the sun to come out again. Seriously though I have always dreamed of coming to England to manage as I have always been entrigued by the way the football is played. In Spain the football is very pretty and it focuses on passing and dribbling. England however adds another dimension where tackling, strength and ferocity are included in that mix. I like the physicality that the English game provides and have craved to be part of that for some time now, which I thankfully now am. Manchester is a beautiful place and although I have only been here a few days, I know that it will become a home to me and a place that I will cherish forever. After I was contacted by this club and after the meetings with Mansour I knew that I wanted to be part of this clubs dreams and its future."

Luckily as my speech was ending Mansour placed his hand on my shoulder, politely interupting... "Due to the fact that we have some important board meetings this afternoon Pep will be now be taking a few of your questions before we head off"...

Mansour was on hand to select the people who would be asking the questions, the media almost pleaded with him to get there question answered but he very
authoritively pointed to who would speak...

scaled.php

"Lucy Brookes from the Evening Times, have you found it hard to leave Barcelona who many have touted as the best team in the world at the moment and some even suggesting of all time and will you be looking to bring anybody in from your former team? We hear theres a player called Messi who is quite good."

"
Yes, a very good player, I don't think Lionel will be joining Manchester City though as I know he loves the Catalan culture and he has Barcelona in his heart. I don't think it would be fair of me to talk about Barcelona's players as I have no affiliation with that club now and I don't want to cause speculation. At the moment I say no to your question and shall not say anymore."

"James Anderson from the Manchester Times, now that Mancini has parted ways with the club and left to coach Italy's national team, will you be changing much of what he has implemented or will you be carrying on from his great work which has led to the club winning the F.A cup and it's first league title in forty-four years?"

"Roberto has done a fantastic job here and I know he will be proud of his achievments. Coaching Italy would be any managers dream and I wish him all the luck in the world with that. I don't think there will be seismic changes but I will implement some of my own plans and there will be activity in the Transfer Market as I look to to strengthen where I feel the squad needs improving "

"Mark Langston from the Sun, you speak about the Transfer Market, what areas of the squad do you feel need improving and what sort of budget will you be working with? have you earmarked anyone in particular you want to sign"

"I do not wish to discuss who i'm interested in, as nothing is concrete and myself and Mansour aswell as others need to finalise identifying transfer targets. It is not my place to speak to you about budgets as I am a coach and not someone who has the power to set a budget. "

Mansour pointed to one last woman before stating that her question would round up the media's interaction...

"Julie Madsen from Sky Sports, As a young manager who has enjoyed such success in Spain do you firstly think you can translate that success into greatness here in England and do you secondly feel like you will be here for the long haul?"

"I feel that whatever I achieved in Spain can be completed here in England. I wouldn't have come here hoping to only achieve half of what was done at Barcelona. I want this club to be as big as it's rivals Manchester United. If the chairman and the fans want me to stay, I will stay for as long as I can."

that was it, the interrogation was over. I thanked the media for coming and said my farewell's to them. I was soon whisked off in a rather luxurious car along with Mansour to a meeting about Transfer Targets and who could potentially be leaving the club.

Last edited:
hi mate- ironically ive just started a manchester united story- we've swapped clubs! no i absolutely loved that start, i always like these stories when they focus on the personal side of things as well as results/tactics/transfers etc. great start mate?
look out for manchester united- the next generation.

hi mate- ironically ive just started a manchester united story- we've swapped clubs! no i absolutely loved that start, i always like these stories when they focus on the personal side of things as well as results/tactics/transfers etc. great start mate?
look out for manchester united- the next generation.

I will be over in a second mate. Just going to update quickly. Your united. Awesome

MAN CITY EARLY PRE-SEASON

7th July 2012 - Carrington Training Ground

Now that I had a chance to link up with the squad on a more permanent basis and that I could finally be apart of pre-season tarining I decided to call the whole first team over and speak to them. I knew that this year I needed unity from every single one of my players. Mansour had told me that Mancini had trouble with the likes of Nigel De Jong and particuarly the hot headed Mario Ballotelli who often let their emotions control them. The squad who had only taken part in a few training sessions with myself as I had been attending various different meetings within the week were joined by the clubs assistant manager Brian Kidd. Brian is a nice guy and has made me feel so welcome.

"Hello you will now all be seeing more of me as I have attended all of the pre-season meetings now and can spend more time on the training pitches with you lot. One of the major things I need from you right from the start is unity. Now I know last season was a long time ago but I will not tolerate in house fighting or any behaviour along those line which I know interupted last season. I do not want to see newspapers with unecessary headlines regarding this. Unity is a key value of mine and if we are to stay strong and challenge for honours we need to stay as one. I also have the news that we will be flying to Turkey to play three Pre-season friendlies against, Besiktas, Bursaspor and Trabzonspor. The club secretatry as the itinerary in the club house, please make sure you pick one up after todays session. I think that's it for now, after todays session please come back here as I have one last bit of news I need to tell you. I will also be speaking to some of you today so if you are called please come to my office."

I left the squad to go back to my office within the complex and could see the squad from my window. I asked Brian Kidd to send in Nigel de Jong, Pablo Zabaleta and Adam Johnson...

"Hello guys. I've called you in here today to explain to you that there has been interest in you from other clubs and that as a club we will not stop you deciding to leave if you wish. Honestly, we have decided to listen to these offers as there is much competition for places this year and you maybe on the sidelines more than you would like. We feel as a club you will need to think about this situation but want to maintain your dignity and for you to know we have your careers at the focal point of our minds. We hope you feel that we have treated you honestly and that you respect our decision to listen to these offers."

After speaking to Adam, Nigel and Pablo all three agreed that it would probably be in their best interests if they were Transfer Listed. All three were very pleasant and a slight bit of guilt erroded my mind, nonetheless I had to think of the long term plan and none of these players featured in them. I let the boys back out to the training ground but instructed them not to speak about what had been said until after the days session.

As I finished up dealing with emails regarding the interest in the three players , I walked back out onto the training ground. As I watched I saw David Silva showing incredible technical skills to beat Lescott and get past him. However Joe Hart stopped him scoring by diving bravely at the little Spaniards feet. Brian Kidd who was watching the training match shuffled up over to me. "How'd they take it?" he calmly said. I explained that each had looked a bit shocked but that through our honesty they respected our decision and agreed that a transfer would be for the best. Just then my phone rang... I answered and was suprised to learn that I was speaking to a representative from Liverpool FC...

The call lasted about ten minutes, which coincidently timed well with Brian Kidd blowing his whistle to end the training match just as I pressed end call. The players made their way back over to me, looking somewhat jaded and in need of some more fitness training. As they stood around me breathing heavily I finished the session off with some exciting news.

"You have looked good today guys. I know we are someway off in terms of fitness but in a couple of weeks we'll be ready. I have been impressed with what I have seen and now that I will be here all the time I know we are going to run out of the blocks this year in extremely explosive style. That's not why I have gathered you all back around though, I have some news regarding an incoming transfer. The club has reached an agreement with Napoli for their young exciting player Lorenzo Insigne in a deal worth upto £2Million, he has already agreed personal terms and depending on whether he can pass his medical we expect him to be a City player by the end of tomorrow. I hope you will all make him feel very welcome and show and give him support if he needs it. That's all for today guys, I will see you tomorrow. Adam, can you just wait behind please I need a quick word"

The players dispatched from the complex and looked excited from what I had told them about Insigne. I really have been impressed during my short time here and I know that if the players stay fit, stay in the right mind frame and that confidence is high, we will do very well this year. Adam Johnson waited behind for me like I had asked and I ended the working day shaking his hand and wishing him luck.

scaled.php

Last edited:
Loving the detail, looking forward to future updates

Once again, storywise, you have knocked the ball out of the park! Will be following as expected. Detail level is astonishing!

One question though - do you get a kick from making everyone elses stories (especially mine) look rubbish? lol

Klippy your story is also immense!!

Once again, storywise, you have knocked the ball out of the park! Will be following as expected. Detail level is astonishing!

One question though - do you get a kick from making everyone elses stories (especially mine) look rubbish? lol

Lol Klippy your story and others on here are immense. I will be commenting tonight and an update will follow. Trying to be detailed on a more manager side of proceedings.

this story is gr8 i have never personally heard of insigne but with the players you find he must be good

Josep Guardiola Rings The Changes

12th July 2012 - Etihad Stadium Boardroom A

I was settling into life in Manchester pretty well, I had already secured a house just outside the city in Salford.
Cristina my wife seemed happy at the cultural change and my kids Maria, Valentina and Màrius also seemed happy to be in England. I had attended alot more training sessions and now felt comfortable that the squad was on the right path in terms of fitness and togetherness. I had been particuarly impressed with Sergio (Aguero), Vincent (Kompany) and Joe (Hart) who all looked to be in superb form. I had a lengthy conversation with Carlos (Tevez) about his future and he assured me that after a turbulent season last season he was now fully focused on this club and that this is the team for him. There had also been two departures from the squad as Nigel de Jong left for Benfica for £11.5million and Adam Johnson joined Liverpool in a deal worth £5million. I was sad to see both players go but knew that both would have limited playing time over the season and that they were too good to just stay rooted on the bench. It was the best situation for all parties if they left. Lorenzo Insigne seems to have settled in well and has bonded closely with his fellow countryman Mario (Ballotelli) I have warned Mario to act as a complete professional around Insigne and have stated that I won't tolerate some of the behaviors which were evident last season.

Today was an important day as myself and Mansour had transfer business to attend to. I had been summoned to one of the boardrooms within the Etihad Stadium where we would be finalising a deal to potentially capture my second signing.

scaled.php

I entered the Boardroom to be confronted with a handshake from someone who introduced himself as David Zala, he seemed a genuinly positive guy and his smile gave the impression that he was quite excited about todays meeting. Mansour was stood right behind him with his back to us talking to our potential new signing. "Josep" he called still facing away from me. "I'd like to introduce you to Javi Martinez". As I walked over to him I saw the towering figure of a well built man who also wore a big smile. "Hello Javi, It's nice to see you again" I started off with "I'm glad this encounter doesn't involve you running rings around my team of players" I joked with him referencing a previous game which my Barcelona team struggled to control him in as he played exsquisitly in for Athletic. "It's nice to see you too" he replied as he obviously felt flattered by my remark. "Shall we get started with proceedings then..." Mansour followed up with, it seemed that Mansour was a man with an amazing ability to create an environment which was fully focused on business but which also felt comfortable to be in.

We spoke for about forty-five minutes, as myself and the chairman explained to Javi and his agent Zala about the clubs ambition and what our plans are for the future. We explained that we wanted to remain as England's most dominant club and that we felt that with Javi's help we could achieve this goal. Javi asked about playing time and his role at the club which we explained would involve him becoming a key figure in the squad but also having to sometimes give way in games to ensure that other players are getting their chance. He seemed happy with our response and explained that he had been impressed with our ambitions and targets.

Zala then went on to explain that his client would be willing to sign for us as long as there would be assurances over his playing time and that his client would receive a sizeable wage. He started off with a figure which as a club we couldn't accept £93,000 in wages was alot for a player who in our eyes isn't quite the finished article. We lowered that offer to £75,000 with a substantial signing on fee for himself and Zala. Both spoke for around fifteen minutes while we gave them some space as we left the room. We entered back in to find both men standing smiling. "My client would like to accept your offer and has agreed that this is the right move for him" I had to admit I was relieved as Javi had been a player I had courted during my time at Barcelona. "That's fantastic" I excitedly squealed, as I rushed foward to shake his hand. "I just have to make some calls to a few other clubs now" Zalasaid as he walked off pulling his mobile from his pocket. I knew there had been interest from Manchester United and Real Madrid which was one of the reasons I was so relieved by todays decision. "Javi we will now send you off for a medical with our team downstairs" Mansour added before allowing Martinez to shake my hand and be led out of the room with Zala and himself.

I stood there clasping my hands together rubbing them with glee as I had just seen my new club sign it's latest player, I knew that If Javi passed his medical we would soon have purchased a great player who did great things for Athletic for £26million. I pulled my phone from my pocket and rang Brian Kidd..."We got him" I shouted.

scaled.php

Last edited:
this is absolutely fantastic mate. im so captured by the way you tell this story its so unique and gripping. really like it! cant wait for the next update! love the thing of having a picture of a player's face in a manchester city shirt. really good and the kind of story im hoping to emulate. good luck with it!

Man City Smash English Transfer Record

15th July 2012 - Carrington Training Ground

It's been an exciting few days for the club, the club is certainly underway with it's transfer proceedings and Mansour has been nothing short of supportive in resourcing the funds the club needs to sign the players I have spoken to him about which I believe can propel this club to the next level. Firstly Javi Martinez signed two days ago after some simple negotiations and a medical which he sailed through. Javi was later unveiled to the press in his new number six jersey, the media have been somewhat critical about the sum paid but have aknowledged that he could have a huge impact at the club. Javi who like Insigne has settled in well at the club and seems to be really fond of David Silva, the two have almost become quite inseparable.

Myself and Mansour who had come to see the squad train today were talking whilst watching the first team completing some drills led by Brian Kidd when suddenly his phone rang. His face immediately lit up! He finished the call after around five minutes and explained what the call was about. It turns out that today brings more great news for the club, as myself, Mansours and other club representatives hard work had paid off as two more signings have now agreed to join us. The first is Dedé who if all goes well will sign from Vasco da Gama in a deal worth £14million with future incentives. Again Dedé had been a player that caught my eye whilst I was in Spain and who has been impressing in his native Brazil. He agreed to join us as he sees this club as a club which is on the incline and which has ambition. His agent informed the us that the clubs determination to sign him also swayed his decision and that he had turned down offers from both the Milan clubs and Juventus to sign for us.

The next signing I knew would cause shockwaves not only through England and Europe but across the whole world. The club had just been informed that Santos prodigy and whizzkid Neymar had agreed to sign for us. Mansour was walking around the complex with a smile as wide as anything, repeating to himself "Neymar, Neymar oh my God, Neymar". I remember speaking to him initially about signing the Brazillian youngster and that he was for it as much as I was. I knew Neymar was hot property and that soon enough someone would sign him. I had to make sure it was us and along with the chairman we both ensured we did everything in our power to convince Neymar that this club was his future. Obviously both would need to be flown in for medicals and to tie up loose contract details but it was almost certain they would soon be wearing the sky blue colour of Manchester City Football Club. The capture of Neymar has however taken a rather large chunk out of the clubs kitty with the deal breaking the current English transfer record by £1million as he signs in a £51million deal. It will now be down to me to convince the club, the chairman, England and the rest of the world that this is money well spent. I look forward to the next few weeks even more so now.

scaled.php
scaled.php

Both players will fly over for their medicals tomorrow and if they pass it will be just in time to make it for the clubs Pre-Season tour of Turkey

Last edited:
This is just such a great read mate, So much detail and I really enjoyed it so far, looking forward to what's next. I like the storyline you are taking it down. its really good. Just done an update for November on mine if you don't mind dropping some feedback. Great read!!!!

Lol had to be £51M just so you broke the record ;), great story though mate

Great story, however am a united supporter so idk whether will want to follow:p
Seriously though, great read

Fantastic read, quick question. The pictures of the players you have signed in the City shirt, are they photoshoped?