Owen Hargreaves says Manchester United treated him like a 'guinea pig'

Yup, this is Fergie's reply

'We're trying to analyse all the stuff he has said and there will be a statement later to address that,'' Ferguson said. ''As far as I am concerned my medical staff is one of the main reasons why we have been so successful over the last few years.
''Do you think we would be successful if they were not 100% brilliant? Our doctor and his five physios are fantastic - that is my opinion and that is more important than what anyone else has to say about it.''

To be honest, I used to adore Hargreaves for his professionalism and determination to play again. Why would he come out and say something that is totally unnecessary right now I will never know. What would he gain from bashing Man Utd's medical staff? He might endear himself a little bit closer to the City fans whom will not remember him for long anyway after making another mega-signing and then hurt all those who adored him at Man Utd.

If Hargreaves has an issue over his treatment at Yoonited then that's his business and he's within his rights to air his greavance. I mean 1 minuite he's on the road to recovery and the next minuite he's given injections by the medical staff and his tendons "feel like glass"... Surely it's obvious he was prescribed and administerd with the wrong treatment.

He also told the medical team he felt like he had a problem with a muscle but was STILL told to go out and play!... And the reds on this board are jumping on Hargo saying that he should shut up??? Unbeleavable, Give your heads a wobble!

Guinea Pig maybe? He did go to America to get his knees sorted. I didnt like him going to city, it smelt of money grabbing from a player who earnt so much whilst not playing at united. But I gave him the benefit of the doubt. If he is indeed having a go at United's medical team then he has to realize its a two way street, If he had doubts about those injections then he should of said something. Silence is acceptance Owen.

He can't really doubt the injections before he had them, they were telling him that injections were the best treatment.

If Hargreaves has an issue over his treatment at Yoonited then that's his business and he's within his rights to air his greavance. I mean 1 minuite he's on the road to recovery and the next minuite he's given injections by the medical staff and his tendons "feel like glass"... Surely it's obvious he was prescribed and administerd with the wrong treatment.

He also told the medical team he felt like he had a problem with a muscle but was STILL told to go out and play!... And the reds on this board are jumping on Hargo saying that he should shut up??? Unbeleavable, Give your heads a wobble!

1) its United, if you're gonna make silly names try somewhere else. I say the same for people who do it for other sides
2) they are perfectly entitled to raise their eyes at the sudden change in comments, he had 3 years t say "look this isnt working" No one would have faulted that, timing now stinks slightly
3) not all the people who have picked him up on it are United fans, you have an Everton, a Villa fan, a Charlton fan (alicwkd am i correct in calling you a charlton fan?) and an Arsenal fan picking him up it too, perhaps you should take a step back before telling anyone to "give their heads a wobble"

Last edited:
He can't really doubt the injections before he had them, they were telling him that injections were the best treatment.

Correct me if Im wrong ( i may be im quite drunk atm) but didnt he say in the interview he felt the injections could do more harm then good?

If Hargreaves had an issue with the way United were dealing with his injury, he should of spoken about it to the club. Why do you think medical staff constantly ask you if you are alright when you are injured? They aren't trying to make small talk, they are trying to see if you are feeling better or worse.

Also you actually think he was forced to play? Someone even posted a comment from him after the match that Hargreaves wanted to play. That he was desperate to play. Doesn't sound like he was forced to play tbh.

1) its United, if you're gonna make silly names try somewhere else. I say the same for people who do it for other sides
2) they are perfectly entitled to raise their eyes at the sudden change in comments, he had 3 years t say "look this isnt working" No one would have faulted that, timing now stinks slightly
3) not all the people who have picked him up on it are United fans, you have an Everton, a Villa and an Arsenal fan picking him up it too, perhaps you should take a step back before telling anyone to "give their heads a wobble"

So i guess from now on i will be seeing you pull up anybody saying "******" or the ever hillarious "Citeh"?... Hmmm, i doubt it!, Sudden change in comments? this is the first time He has spoken about his medical treatment at United, Are you really trying to say the injections he was given don't sound dodgey as f*ck?, He's well within his rights here.

So i guess from now on i will be seeing you pull up anybody saying "******" or the ever hillarious "Citeh"?... Hmmm, i doubt it!, Sudden change in comments? this is the first time He has spoken about his medical treatment at United, Are you really trying to say the injections he was given don't sound dodgey as f*ck?, He's well within his rights here.

dont where you've been the last few months but thats exactly what i do. ******, citeh, chelski, loserpool etc

Owen Hargreaves, Aug '11: "I wanted to try to keep playing. It shows how desperate I was, trying to battle on with 2 muscle injuries."

Owen now: Hargreaves, now of Manchester City, talked of being put "in a **** position" before making the remarkable claim that the United manager Sir Alex Ferguson selected him for his comeback match against Wolverhampton Wanderers last November even though the midfielder had told the club he was injured.

"I started that game with two muscle injuries but I should never have been in that position to begin with.

No, becuase they were clearly trying to do the best for him, and it didnt work out, bearing in mind the were working with the advice of Dr Steadman.

As entitled as he is to vent his spleen, United fans are equally entitled to ask why he didnt make this known while he was at the club?

Last edited:
Guinea Pig maybe? He did go to America to get his knees sorted. I didnt like him going to city, it smelt of money grabbing from a player who earnt so much whilst not playing at united. But I gave him the benefit of the doubt. If he is indeed having a go at United's medical team then he has to realize its a two way street, If he had doubts about those injections then he should of said something. Silence is acceptance Owen.

Going to City wasnt money grabbing, we didnt extend his contract, and he's better than going to west brom (no offence west brom fans)

If he also thought they could be dodgy, he was well within his rights to say "no thankyou". I sincerely doubt, they would have MADE him take the injections. Man Utd will have some of the best medical staff there, and informed him of the potential risks involved. To not do so, would be medical negligance, and would have faced a major lawsuit. So basically, I don't see how it's dodgy as ****. Do you really see the medical staff not telling him everything about the risks involved? No I thought not.

Now stopped head wobbling.

Hargreaves is no longer in my good books, money grabbing assface! he could of joined Liverpool or Arsenal, even Chelsea and I would not have minded..

seems as though someone at City are getting their new players to publicly criticize their old clubs which I think is quite disrespectful.. We tried our best with him and have the best medical staff you could ask for..

seems to be under pressure to impress his new club by speaking badly about his other club, its like speaking badly of your perfectly normal ex gf to your new gf to make her feel better..

lame

Hargreaves is no longer in my good books, money grabbing assface! he could of joined Liverpool or Arsenal, even Chelsea and I would not have minded..

seems as though someone at City are getting their new players to publicly criticize their old clubs which I think is quite disrespectful.. We tried our best with him and have the best medical staff you could ask for..

seems to be under pressure to impress his new club by speaking badly about his other club, its like speaking badly of your perfectly normal ex gf to your new gf to make her feel better..

lame

a la Nasri perhaps?

dont where you've been the last few months but thats exactly what i do. ******, citeh, chelski, loserpool etc

Owen Hargreaves, Aug '11: "I wanted to try to keep playing. It shows how desperate I was, trying to battle on with 2 muscle injuries."

Owen now: Hargreaves, now of Manchester City, talked of being put "in a **** position" before making the remarkable claim that the United manager Sir Alex Ferguson selected him for his comeback match against Wolverhampton Wanderers last November even though the midfielder had told the club he was injured.

"I started that game with two muscle injuries but I should never have been in that position to begin with.

No, becuase they were clearly trying to do the best for him, and it didnt work out, bearing in mind the were working with the advice of Dr Steadman.

As entitled as he is to vent his spleen, United fans are equally entitled to ask why he didnt make this known while he was at the club?

Ofcourse he would have "Wanted to carry on playing" he's a top professional who had been away for so long. But he DID tell the Utd Medical staff he had injuries and they DID disregard that, when you are picked to play by your manager you simply play, end of. It was an impossible situation for him so yes, he was forced into a "**** position" by the club. He actualy went out there into a competative fixture with two muscle tears and tried to play! That's not bang out of order from United and their medical staff?

And you're also suprised a player who was in limbo for 3 years trying to recover from terrible injuries didn't PUBLICLY raise concerns over his treatment while still at United? Ofcourse he wouldn't. But i bet he raised them to the doctors and physios time and again. There's no reason why he shouldn't voice his opinion now though. It isn't an attack on United, their players or their fans. It's the venting of three years of frustration towards the people who failed to do what he has done himself in a matter of months and who he believes gave him the wrong treatment which set him back considerably. He couldn't get fit after 3 years of Uniteds "medical care" yet after 1 summer of training alone and joining City he is looking ready to compete and played as well as he did on his debut!... I mean come on give me a break here FFS!

yeah, surprised Aguero has not said anything yet.. I think he may have said something just after he signed though..

I guess they are human and everyone is different, he is trying to make a problem where there is none! just for the sake of our rivarly and someone there is fuelling the fire... wont be surprised if it was Mancini, never liked him!

I mean come on, its not like we tied him down and locked him up in a cage and experiment on him daily.. we were trying to help him recover and get back to playing football at the end of the day, not even because he was getting paid to do nothing but becuase that is the type of staff we have at United..

I am actually getting more and more ****** off the more I type so I think I am going to stop now...

**** I dont like Hargreaves anymore..

Can't remember off top of head, but "said" some rather unsavoury things.

He was repeating what other Arsenal players have said, That the Emirates stadium lacks the atmosphere that Highbury had but everytime he has played at The Etihad the Atmosphere has been great.

LoL how paranoid, Someone at City telling the new signings to bad mouth their old clubs FFS

Owen Hargreaves said:
Owen Hargreaves: 'It felt like I was made out of glass' | Football | The Guardian

Hargreaves's account is that he told the club he was unable to play and knew he was so injured he would not even be able to run at full speed. "I started that game with two muscle injuries but I should never have been in that position to begin with. People at times must look at it from a distance and say: '****, he's made out of glass.'

"But I don't know many people in the world who could do any sporting event with two muscle tears."

This is such an important point that it feels necessary to ask Hargreaves to confirm what he is saying. His plan, he says, was to try to get through the match without sprinting. "I know it sounds comical. I was just going to try to get through 45 minutes because that would have been a start. But I didn't even last five. I wasn't surprised. I'd said to them that I had a hamstring problem, which I obviously did. I said: 'I think I've got a bit of a problem here.' I was surprised it didn't go in the warm-up, to be completely honest."

Had to feel sorry for him in this bit tbh

Ofcourse he would have "Wanted to carry on playing" he's a top professional who had been away for so long. But he DID tell the Utd Medical staff he had injuries and they DID disregard that, when you are picked to play by your manager you simply play, end of. It was an impossible situation for him so yes, he was forced into a "**** position" by the club. He actualy went out there into a competative fixture with two muscle tears and tried to play! That's not bang out of order from United and their medical staff?

And you're also suprised a player who was in limbo for 3 years trying to recover from terrible injuries didn't PUBLICLY raise concerns over his treatment while still at United? Ofcourse he wouldn't. But i bet he raised them to the doctors and physios time and again. There's no reason why he shouldn't voice his opinion now though. It isn't an attack on United, their players or their fans. It's the venting of three years of frustration towards the people who failed to do what he has done himself in a matter of months and who he believes gave him the wrong treatment which set him back considerably. He couldn't get fit after 3 years of Uniteds "medical care" yet after 1 summer of training alone and joining City he is looking ready to compete and played as well as he did on his debut!... I mean come on give me a break here FFS!

You'll find that his body was in pretty good shape before he went to city (why we didnt re-sign him is ather question). He had a lot of false dawn, other parts of his body breaking down. SAF said the pace was up to him, now on one would have faulted him had he said he wasnt ready. The club was working to his timetable, not theirs. Like i say he's entitled to vent this spleen, but dont forget that the club put a lot of time, money and effort in trying to get him back on his feet, hardly treated him like a guinea pig, in fact went and got the best in the world for him. Also 57 minutes =/= fully back, we know this better than anyone.

Last edited: