Owen Hargreaves says Manchester United treated him like a 'guinea pig'

He was repeating what other Arsenal players have said, That the Emirates stadium lacks the atmosphere that Highbury had but everytime he has played at The Etihad the Atmosphere has been great.

LoL how paranoid, Someone at City telling the new signings to bad mouth their old clubs FFS

Actually he said Arsenal fans were less passionate than City fans. Which is utter ****.

But that's already been covered. He was wrong basically.

If we treated him so badly, why did he offer to play for us for free after we told him we weren't planning on offering him a new contract?

Ofcourse he would have "Wanted to carry on playing" he's a top professional who had been away for so long. But he DID tell the Utd Medical staff he had injuries and they DID disregard that, when you are picked to play by your manager you simply play, end of. It was an impossible situation for him so yes, he was forced into a "**** position" by the club. He actualy went out there into a competative fixture with two muscle tears and tried to play! That's not bang out of order from United and their medical staff?

I highly doubt he was forced to play. He probably could sue if he was forced to play, and since I haven't heard anything of the sort, and the fact that after the match he came out and said that he was desperate to play, I don't think any force was necessary. Hargreaves himself's doesn't say anything of being forced to play as well. Just says he was selected for the match by Ferguson. He could easily say "No Guvnor, I don't want to aggravate my injury anymore." And he'd be well within his right to do so.

And you're also suprised a player who was in limbo for 3 years trying to recover from terrible injuries didn't PUBLICLY raise concerns over his treatment while still at United? Ofcourse he wouldn't. But i bet he raised them to the doctors and physios time and again. There's no reason why he shouldn't voice his opinion now though. It isn't an attack on United, their players or their fans. It's the venting of three years of frustration towards the people who failed to do what he has done himself in a matter of months and who he believes gave him the wrong treatment which set him back considerably. He couldn't get fit after 3 years of Uniteds "medical care" yet after 1 summer of training alone and joining City he is looking ready to compete and played as well as he did on his debut!... I mean come on give me a break here FFS!

Why shouldn't he publicly raise concerns? If he raised concerns with the doctors and physio's and they didn't listen, surely raising them publicly would of helped matters. Maybe made the a few enemies within United, but I think that would of been better then spending 3 years injured, since according to him, he probably would of gotten better treatment, got better and then may have helped United win a few more trophies which would of helped the recent enemies become friends again.
Also it is an attack on United. Basically saying that United's medical team ruined 3 years of his career, and its disrespectful. United have tried to help him for 3 years, paying his wages, medical costs and everything, all for him to say that he received the wrong treatment and its United's fault? Even worse considering he said it while at Man City. Could of said it while he was a free agent, but no. Decided to say it while at a Rival club, just to rub it in.

He's a great player, But after these comments, he's a bit of a ****.

makes me laugh when people accuse city of making players badmouth their old clubs.

dont you realise the press hate city now we have some money? they take everything any of our players have said and twist it to make it sound worse.

also makes me laugh when people are once again saying he was "money grabbing" coming to city. come off it ffs its getting old.

makes me laugh when people accuse city of making players badmouth their old clubs.

dont you realise the press hate city now we have some money? they take everything any of our players have said and twist it to make it sound worse.

also makes me laugh when people are once again saying he was "money grabbing" coming to city. come off it ffs its getting old.

I agree, the money grabbing etc is very old. Also not sure how people can accuse him of money grabbing, weren't city the best side that came in for him? why settle for west brom?

I agree, the money grabbing etc is very old. Also not sure how people can accuse him of money grabbing, weren't city the best side that came in for him? why settle for west brom?

He isn't money grabbing. He offered to play for United for free. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I highly doubt he was forced to play. He probably could sue if he was forced to play, and since I haven't heard anything of the sort, and the fact that after the match he came out and said that he was desperate to play, I don't think any force was necessary. Hargreaves himself's doesn't say anything of being forced to play as well. Just says he was selected for the match by Ferguson. He could easily say "No Guvnor, I don't want to aggravate my injury anymore." And he'd be well within his right to do so.

Why shouldn't he publicly raise concerns? If he raised concerns with the doctors and physio's and they didn't listen, surely raising them publicly would of helped matters. Maybe made the a few enemies within United, but I think that would of been better then spending 3 years injured, since according to him, he probably would of gotten better treatment, got better and then may have helped United win a few more trophies which would of helped the recent enemies become friends again.
Also it is an attack on United. Basically saying that United's medical team ruined 3 years of his career, and its disrespectful. United have tried to help him for 3 years, paying his wages, medical costs and everything, all for him to say that he received the wrong treatment and its United's fault? Even worse considering he said it while at Man City. Could of said it while he was a free agent, but no. Decided to say it while at a Rival club, just to rub it in.

He's a great player, But after these comments, he's a bit of a ****.

The part in bold speaks volumes here. Even knowing he was injured the manager picked him to play, that's just wrong. And no He couldn't have refused to play. Imagine the reprecusions of telling Fergie "i'm not playing"? By By then son, don't let the door hit your **** on the way out!...

Secondly raising concerns Publicly while still employed by the club is quite simpley ******** on your own doorstep. Ask Adebayor and Bellamy what happens to players who do that.

I don't think Uniteds medical team purposely did anything to harm him and that isn't what he is claiming. He feels like a lot of treatment he was given was incorrect and that mistakes were made that set him back which, when you look at everything impartialy (which it appears impossible for some to do) he is right. I'm bewilderd you guys are jumping on him. If you were in his shoes you would feel exactly the same.

Didn't he offer to play for free?

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that he spent three years on the injury table whilst United paid him for it. Offering one year in which he could play for free doesn't make them even, especially as it never happened anyway.

The part in bold speaks volumes here. Even knowing he was injured the manager picked him to play, that's just wrong. And no He couldn't have refused to play. Imagine the reprecusions of telling Fergie "i'm not playing"? By By then son, don't let the door hit your **** on the way out!...

Secondly raising concerns Publicly while still employed by the club is quite simpley ******** on your own doorstep. Ask Adebayor and Bellamy what happens to players who do that.

I don't think Uniteds medical team purposely did anything to harm him and that isn't what he is claiming. He feels like a lot of treatment he was given was incorrect and that mistakes were made that set him back which, when you look at everything impartialy (which it appears impossible for some to do) he is right. I'm bewilderd you guys are jumping on him. If you were in his shoes you would feel exactly the same.

Hargreaves said he was injured yes. But he also said after the match he was desperate to play. Sounds to me like it was his decision to play, not Ferguson's. And if United gave him the wrong treatment, surely being sold/released would of stopped him getting the wrong treatment and he'd have gotten better before? He had nothing to lose.

And yeah you are right. Impossible for some people to understand things that make their players look bad. Even though the player has only played 2/3 of a game.

Edit: Also ask Wayne Rooney and Nani what happens if you criticize United. They turned out alright didn't they?

Last edited:

Your right it is old but its true with regards to other players. Do you honestly think Yaya Toure would have signed for Man City, who at the time wasn't in the Champions League if he wasn't offered 200k a week?

On topic.

If Hargreaves had said this when he was a free agent, it wouldnt of been blown out of all proportion as it is now, but as he said it playing against United's arch rivals, its abit fishy to say the least. They may well of scuppered his career for 3 years, we will never know, but if it was the case, he could have claimed this sooner. Why now?

Your right it is old but its true with regards to other players. Do you honestly think Yaya Toure would have signed for Man City, who at the time wasn't in the Champions League if he wasn't offered 200k a week?

On topic.

If Hargreaves had said this when he was a free agent, it wouldnt of been blown out of all proportion as it is now, but as he said it playing against United's arch rivals, its abit fishy to say the least. They may well of scuppered his career for 3 years, we will never know, but if it was the case, he could have claimed this sooner. Why now?

we'll never know in regards to yaya. he was probably more interested in the guaranteed play time, hes a key player in our squad, something which he wasnt at barca, as he was shoved aside by guardiola because of busquets taking his role.

the press have probably twisted his words, a lot. like they do all the time. the bbc are good for that, especially now that fergie is talking to them again, theyve been licking his balls, and have probably twisted this to get him to respond.

Probably right, its all about sales. He probably said something along the lines of .. "I missed 3 seasons playing, after having surgery and mulitple injections into my knee" which to a reporter sounds more like this ..

"Man Utd's phyios ruined my career, because of all the injections I had taken".

Its been blown out of all proportion as usual. There will be an interview on Sky Sports where he denies all comments made.

SAF said:
'Do you think we would be successful if they were not 100% brilliant? Our doctor and his five physios are fantastic - that is my opinion and that is more important than what anyone else has to say about it.

******* BOSS. Thats as good as saying Hargreaves opinion counts **** all. Well done once again SAF.

Month back he was desperate to stay and even want to play for free, if club had treated him like he said, wonder why he was so desperate to stay?

Waiting for club's statement on this issue.

we'll never know in regards to yaya. he was probably more interested in the guaranteed play time, hes a key player in our squad, something which he wasnt at barca, as he was shoved aside by guardiola because of busquets taking his role.

the press have probably twisted his words, a lot. like they do all the time. the bbc are good for that, especially now that fergie is talking to them again, theyve been licking his balls, and have probably twisted this to get him to respond.

that's why i give him the benefit f doubt here, its too much of a volte face, especially as he offered to play for free, now if we were medically "poor" towards him, he wouldnt have done so. As for Yaya, its a bit of both, but mainly the constant playing time, and to be a key player, something he never really had at Barca. He's not gonna complain if they offer him that, whats he supposed to say "no, you're paying me too much"?

Last edited:
Club statement on Hargreaves

Following certain comments reported in the media this morning, the Club has issued the following statement:

Manchester United is disappointed with Owen’s remarks after the game on Wednesday. The Club gave him the best possible care for three years and is as disappointed as anyone he was not able to play a part in the team’s success at that time. It has shared all the medical records with Manchester City and is comfortable with the actions taken by its medical staff at each step of his many attempts at rehabilitation.

United does not acknowledge any validity in the comments Owen is alleged to have made.

Manchester United has some of the best sports medical staff in world sport, who have made a significant contribution to United’s on-pitch success in recent seasons.

Owen Hargreaves statement from Manchester United - Official Manchester United Website

Good that we didnt stoop levels and attacked him. Classy. Now hopefully this will be forgotten asap.

Good that we didnt stoop levels and attacked him. Classy. Now hopefully this will be forgotten asap.

Doubtful tbh. When the Manchester Derby happens, I suspect he'll get absolute pelters unfortunately.