Paris FC - Coming Out From PSG's Shadow

Chapter 18: Adding The Finishing Touches For A Promotion Season

My Assistant Manager decided to hang up his boots and needed replacing over the Summer, so welcome my new right hand man, Herve Lybohy.

lybohy.jpg

First bit of transfer action this Summer was the reluctant sale of Jake Forster-Caskey. I didn't want to lose the central midfielder, but after Middlesbrough came in for him with a bid of £500k which I rejected, he copped the ump and demanded a move back to England. I managed to sneak that fee up to £750k + £175k in add ons, which isn't too sad considering he joined for free last year.

caskey.jpg

Another player I didn't want to lose is Roderick Miranda, but he couldn't agree on a new deal and left the club for Farense on a free transfer. It's a shame but he is replaceable.

miranda.jpg

Other players that left the club this Summer after their contracts expired included Anthony Maisonnial (GK, 31 apps), Jason Kikonda (CM, 32 apps), Ousmane Kante (CB, 95 apps) and Julien Lopez (AML/R, 129 apps).

released.jpg

Now for the incoming players. First up is pacey centre back Dynel Simeu who joins the club on loan for the season from Fulham. He's still learning his trade at 20 years old and I'm hoping he can impress whilst with us this year.

simeu.jpg

I wanted an agrressive ball winner for the centre of the park and Klaus Gjasula fits the bill perfectly, so I brought him in on a free from Hamburg. He should add a little bit of spice in midfield.

gjasula.jpg

This next one is a bit of a strange one as I have no idea how he'll do in France, but Jack Marriott joins us on a free from Derby. His attributes are decent and on paper, he should score goals.

marriott.jpg

I needed to bolster my options in attack, specifically in the wide positions. With a lack of serious talent available for a permanent transfer, I opted to bring in 21 year old Lucas Da Cunha from OGC Nice and he looks like a very tasty addition to the squad.

da cunha.jpg

It really surprises me that the board aren't expecting us to do better than top half, after we finished in the playoffs for the past 2 years. Still, I suppose it keeps the pressure off.

expectations.jpg

The bookies also don't fancy us for the top 5, although the don't see us being too far behind the top teams in the division.

previuew.jpg

Our strongest pre season campaign since I've been here will hopefully set us up for a good start to the competitive season.

pre season.jpg

Some good transfers that were needed after losing some good players and hopefully they can give you thr push for promotion this season

Chapter 19: A Much Better Start Than Last Year

A perfect start to the season as we thrash US Orleans and in all fairness, we could have easily had 7 or 8 here, but 4 will do.

1st game.jpg

How we didn't follow that up with another win against Troyes I don't know. We hit the woodwork 3 times in this game and were totally dominant, so it's disappointing to settle for a single point.

2nd game.jpg

The scoreline suggests this game was close, but we had over 20 shots at their goal in this one and the win was a lot more comfortable than it initially looks.

3rd game.jpg

A solid performance again as we dominate the wide areas of the field throughout, with both our wide men scoring the goals that led us to another 3 points!

4th game.jpg

Both the goalkeepers starred here as we played out a 0-0 draw with Chateauroux.

5th game.jpg

Well, our first 5 games of this season have been in stark contract to last year. We lost 4 of our opening 5 last season, but this year we are unbeaten in our first 5 as we sit pretty in the top 3 at these early stages.

league.jpg

Early signs are showing I'll have a decent centre back partnership between Bamba and Simeu. Through the opening five games of the season, they both sit in the top 4 for possessions won in the league, winning the ball back nearly 120 times between them already!

possessions won.jpg

There's no doubt that Axel Bamba has been a very important part of my team since I arrived, and his stats would suggest that he is simply getting better each season.

bamba.jpg

bamba stats.jpg

Chapter 20: Could This Be Our Year?

Transfer deadline day saw a new arrival come into the club. Baba Fernandes was available on a free transfer and gives me some extra cover at centre back which was much needed. He looks good enough to push the first choice pairing for a starting spot too and can only improve with him being only 22 years old.

baba fernandes.jpg

F***inghell, PSG's spend is just beyond ridiculous! The brought in Erling Haaland during the Summer and they now have a strike force that consists of Neymar, Kylian Mbappe, Harry Kane and Erling Haaland!!

PSG transfers.jpg

They can't even fit them all in the team properly, so Harry Kane is playing as a central midfielder!!

PSG lineup.jpg

We continued our unbeaten start to the season with a good all round performance against Guingamp. A Marvin Gakpa double secured us the points.

guingamp.jpg

Gakpa is another player who has been an important member of my squad throughout my time here. He has 66 appearances under me, with 21 goals and 11 assists.

gakpa.jpg

Nimes were up next for us in an early season top of the table clash.

top of table clash.jpg

And we managed to chalk up a massive win, although we did ride our luck at times with Nimes having a goal disallowed for a very narrow offside and missed a penalty.

nimes.jpg

Our keeper, Stefano Gori, earned himself a man of the match for making 8 saves in the game!

gori shines.jpg

Four more games extended our unbeaten run to 11 in the league and moved us to the top of the table!

4 more games.jpg

top of table.jpg

Which sets us up nicely for our next game and another 1st vs 2nd clash. Metz are also unbeaten this season and it remains to be seen which of us would manage to keep hold of that record. Would it be our passing game or their route one style that would prevail?

metz report.jpg

The answer was ours as a Jack Marriott double secures the points!

metz.jpg

And that means after twelve games, we top the division with a 5 point lead already! Could this be our year?

league.jpg

Fair to say Baba Fernandes has been a pretty awesome addition to the squad. Just look at those match ratings!

fernandes form.jpg

Looks like you've finally got the goal scorer that you needed in marriot.

Is it too early to say that your finally going up?

Chapter 21: League Form Takes A Dip

Our next game against AS Nancy would be my 100th in charge. Question was if my team could mark it with victory?

100th game.jpg

Of course we did! Right now, we look absolutely unstoppable!

nancy.jpg

We did suffer our first big injury of the season though, as we lose our first choice right back for a few weeks!

solano injury.jpg

Did I say we looked unstoppable?? Pretty sure I jinxed us there as we then go through the whole of November, picking up only a single point!

november.jpg

Time for a team meeting to lift everyone's spirits! Let's hope it brings about a better performance in our next game!

team meeting.jpg

It seemed to do the trick as we give a solid performance and record a 1-0 win against Clermont.

clermont.jpg

A new signing and this should improve our profile in China (assuming he becomes as good as I think he will). I forked out £325k to bring 17 year old Chinese winger, Guo Yuze, to the club from Grenoble Foot.

yuzw.jpg

First up in the Coupe de France this year was US Orleans, although they didn't provide much of a challenge and we're comfortably through to the next round.

coupe de france.jpg

And the 9th round draw provides a tie that will see us take on the country's giants for the first time in a competitive game under my management.

cup draw.jpg

Back in the league, we could only manage a bore draw away at Chamois

chamois.jpg

Which leaves us 3rd in the league at the half way stage. It looks, at the moment, like the title will be contested between the current top 4 as we've pulled away from the rest of the teams.

league.jpg

Chapter 22: Consecutive League Wins Record Takes Us Back To The Top

A big win over Troyes in the league was the perfect way to warm up for our massive cup tie against PSG!

troyes.jpg

Now let's just have a little look at these lineups for our big cup game shall we?

cup lineups.jpg

Now there lowest valued player is goalkeeper, Thomas Strakosha, at £29 million! Against our highest valued player, Stefano Gori, at just £2.5 million!!

strakosha.jpg

gori.jpg

Despite the gulf in class, we can be proud of the performance we gave and held our own for large periods of the game.

cup game.jpg

We quickly put the cup defeat behind us, getting straight back to winning ways in the league.

back to winning in league.jpg

Although we did lose our captain for a few weeks, which might hurt us! I have to admit, it had me a little worried.

name injury.jpg

But it turns out I had no reason to be, as we strung together another 5 wins on the bounce!

5 on the bounce.jpg

And those 6 games in a row we've now won in the league is a new team record.

new record.jpg

A record that has taken us back to the top of the division with 12 games to go!

league.jpg

We've scored more goals than anyone in the league this season and it's fair to say that Jack Marriott has been a great addition to the front line as he has 16 in 25 appearances so far this year.

marriott.jpg

Chapter 23: Putting Ourselves In Pole Position

A wonderful first half performance against Auxerre, see's us extend our winning run, with Jack Marriott bagging another brace!

auxerre.jpg

But our winning run then came to an end as a late, late goal consigned us to defeat away at Rodez.

rodex.jpg

Four points from our next two games, including a massive win over 3rd placed Metz, coming from behind to ****** 3 valuable points!

4 more points.jpg

And then the worst possible news! Jack Marriott won't score more than 21 goals this season, as he won't play again this season!! Absolutely gutting and this could hugely damaging to our title challenge!

marriott injury.jpg

Just as he took his first Player of the Month award as well!

marriott award.jpg

The man we turn to up front is Gaeten Laura, who only has 1 league goal this season!

laura.jpg

Fair to say he stepped up!!

laura hat trick.jpg

And we continued to score plenty of goals as we racked up another wins!

3 more wins.jpg

With just 5 games remaining, we lead the way by 4 points! Even more importantly, we are 8 points clear of 3rd...surely automatic promotion is all but guaranteed right?

league.jpg

Our next two games are absolutely huge as we play the sides currently sitting 3rd and 2nd!

last 5 games.jpg

Chapter 24: The Run In

The annual youth intake was a really disappointing one and there isn't a single player who excites me!

youth intake.jpg

Gaeten Laura has come in and done a fine job in the absence of Jack Marriott, backed up by the fact he won the Ligue 2 Player of the Month for March.

laura award.jpg

With our next two games being against the sides in 3rd and 2nd, and challenging us for the league title, I had the mentality that we must not lose and draws would do just fine!

However, we went better than that and took a maximum 6 points from the two games!

1st game.jpg

2nd game.jpg

And that secures promotion to the top tier!! BOOM!!!

promoted.jpg

With promotion in the bag, the board go ahead and announce that I'll have just under £4 million to spend this Summer and have boosted the wage budget by about £50k per week.

budgets.jpg

We had three games remaining to seal the title!

3 games left.jpg

We only needed one!

title winners.jpg

The last two games were simply a formality, but it was nice to finish with a couple of clean sheets.

last 2.jpg

Chapter 25: A Title Winning Season

The final league table confirms our status as champions, winning by a clear margin in the end! Won more than anyone, lost less than anyone, scored more than everyone!

final league.jpg

Nothing to shout about in the cup this year, but we can be forgiven for going out to one of the biggest teams in the world.

cup.jpg

The income grew in most areas again this season, although we'll expect to see a big difference in this area next year after a season in Ligue 1.

finances.jpg

The best eleven shows that everyone put in a shift this year and it was an all round great effort!

best 11.jpg

17 year old Steeven Ongenda made the team at right back after making 19 appearances for the club this season, despite his young age! This lad could have a bright future.

ongenda.jpg

ongenda career.jpg

The squad stats sorted by appearances. Marvin Gakpa had a stormer of a season scoring 17 and bagging 10 assists. Jack Marriott did become that 20 goal a striker season I desperately needed, and without that injury, he may just have got a few more!

squad.jpg

Fan's Player of the Season = Baba Fernandes
Young Player of the Season = Baba Fernandes
Signing of the Season = Baba Fernandes

My Player of the Season = Marvin Gakpa
My Young Player of the Season (U23) = Axel Bamba
Most Disappointing = Lucas Da Cunha

Top Goalscorer = Jack Marriott (21 in all comps)
Most Assists = Marvin Gakpa & Mauro Marconato (10 in all comps)

As far as the Ligue 2 awards go, we were well involved this year season!

Six players made the Stars Team of the Competition, whilst three of them also made the Ligue 2 best eleven.

stars team.jpg

ligue 2 best 11.jpg

We filled both the top 2 players in the most assists award.

assists.jpg

I'm convinced Jack Marriott would have finished as the top goalscorer if he hadn't have got that injury!

goals.jpg

And with a 71% win ratio this campaign, I take the Ligue 2 Manager of the Year award to round off a perfect season!

manager of year.jpg

Before we sign off our season review, we'll have a look at PSG's season as per usual. They reached over 100 points to win their 6th straight Ligue 1 title.

psg league.jpg

But again they failed to get past Monaco in the Coupe de France!

cup tree.jpg

They're getting closer to winning the Champions League though, this year reaching the Semi Final where Man City dumped them out of the competition.

champs league.jpg

Chapter 26: The Summer Ins And Outs

Promising signs for the future as the board have agreed to invest some money in our youth recruitment and junior coaching.

youth recruitment.jpg

junior coaching.jpg

A few players left the club this Summer as their contracts came to an end, but we didn't lose anyone that I wasn't prepared to let go.

released.jpg

Florent Hanin is worth a mention though as he joined Boavista on a free. He played 90 times for us and had a good record under me.

hanin.jpg

hanin career.jpg

However, he is 33 years old and winding down his career now and it's time for 20 year old Jaouen Hadjam to take over as the number 1 left back. He came through our youth system a few years back and impressed in his 23 appearances last season.

hadjam.jpg

hadjam rcord.jpg

Now for the incoming. My first signing of the Summer as we prepare to build a side capable of surviving in Ligue 1. Julien Masson is a 24 year old French midfielder who hasn't been getting much football at Lyon and I was happy to fork out just over £1 million (£850k up front) to bring him to Paris. His work rate and determination in the centre of the park will be crucial for us and it's always nice to add French players to the team as well.

masson.jpg

Next up is a 19 year old striker from Hoffenheim, who joins us on loan for the year. Abdoul Camara looks a very tasty prospect and has joined to give Jack Marriott some decent competition up front, and may just prove to be our number 1 striker this season (if he is ready).

camara.jpg

I'm nicknaming these two the 'Lyon Loanees' as Titouan Thomas and Sinaly Diomande sign for the season on temporary deals to bolster both the central defence and midfield areas. Both are capable of challenging for a place in my first eleven and improve us significantly!

thomas.jpg

diomande.jpg

My next signing was one for the future as 17 year old Lukas Vecera joins the club. We snapped him up from Slavia Prague where he has already made 50 senior appearances despite his young age. He only cost us £53k in compensation and could go on to be worth a h3ll of a lot more than that!

vecera.jpg

He quickly went out on loan for the season to get some first team football under his belt in Germany.

vecera loan.jpg

Another loanee comes into the club, this time it's Miguel Reisinho from Watford. He bolster my central midfield options and could well become an important player for us....if he does, we have a clause in the loan deal where we can buy him for £2.5 million. He spent last season on loan in Portugal's top tier with Portimonense where he made 10 appearances with an average rating of 7.17.

reisinho.jpg

Finally, I did reject a hefty bid (by our standards) for Axel Bamba!

bamba ofer.jpg

Chapter 27: A Decent Enough Start

A decent enough pre season with plenty of goals scored.

friendlies.jpg

As expected, the board are looking for us to fight bravely against relegation this year.

expectations.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen 3 players from the same club fill all top 3 spots with the bookies for top scorer in the division. It shows just how potent that PSG attack really is!

top scorer.jpg

With the season about to start, we're widely expected to go straight back down this year.

preview.jpg

But we immediately showed the bookies what we're made of, as we kick off the season in the most perfect way!

1st game.jpg

And we followed that up with another 4 points and we're unbeaten in 3 Ligue 1 games!

2ng games.jpg

3rd game.jpg

But that was potentially about to change...

next match.jpg

Sure enough, we did suffer our first defeat of the season at the hands of our rivals, but we didn't go down without a fight and many would argue we deserved something from this game!

psg.jpg

And we followed that up with another defeat as we crumble in the last 10 mins against Brestois!

brestois.jpg

However, 7 points from our opening 5 games is respectable and has to be seen as a decent enough start to our first ever season in the top tier.

league.jpg

On transfer deadline day, we lost Jessy Benet on a free transfer to Preston. He's been decent for me over the last couple of seasons and was a big part of our promotion season last year. However, we couldn't agree a new contract with him so he leaves the club.

benet.jpg

benet career.jpg

I have also forked out a fair few quid on 15-16 year olds for the future, who are all set to join the club over the coming months. As they do, I'll introduce you to them individually then.

youngsters.jpg

Meanwhile, PSG were once again splashing the cash. As if they don't have enough attacking talent in their squad already, they've now added Mason Greenwood for over £100 million!

psg spend.jpg

Chapter 28: We Continue To Impress In The Top Tier

Our first youngster from the Summer signings has now joined the club. I managed to nick Tuncer Biricik on a free transfer from Istanbul Basaksehir and the 18 year old looks like he could develop into a fine player. He's got a great work rate and determination about him, so if he can improve those technical attributes he'll be an interesting prospect.

biricik.jpg

If we're going to stay up this year, it's really important that we win the games against the other sides that are expected to struggle.....like this :)

dijon.jpg

We followed that up with an expected defeat at home to Monaco, before finding our form again to string together another 3 game unbeaten run.

monaco and 3.jpg

Up next was a really tough game against Lyon, who had a certain Todd Cantwell in their starting lineup!

cantwell.jpg

A solid first half performance from my lads put them to the sword and we record our most impressive result under my management so far!

lyon.jpg

And we followed that up with a solid home win against Amiens, although it did take us until the 89th minute to score!

amiens.jpg

So incredibly, we sit 3rd in the league after 12 games, having amassed 23 points already! Our aim was to avoid relegation and over the past 3 seasons, the clubs that have gone down have done so with around 28-31 points, so we're almost safe already!!

league.jpg

One of the players that has been hugely responsible for our success so far this season is Mauro Marconato who has already racked up 5 goals and 7 assists! A player I bought for just £140k and is now worth over £4 million!

marconato.jpg

More investment in the youth recruitment can only be a good thing! Especially as we have PSG to compete with in attracting young talent to Paris!

youth recruitment.jpg

What a start to the season. Will be closing in on PSG in another few seasons if you keep going at this rate

What a start to the season. Will be closing in on PSG in another few seasons if you keep going at this rate

It's definitely promising, but that gap to PSG is so huge! And every year, they keep improving the squad by about £200 million!! It's going to be a really tough ask to overhaul them, but then that's why I took on the challenge as I knew it would keep me occupied for some time.