Patrick Vieira - from Midfielder to Manager

View attachment 199153

We start March with a couple of very winnable games against Udinese, Spezia and Bologna. The only real challenge I can see for this month is the home game against Fiorentina who are capable of causing us a few problems.

View attachment 199152

We start against a struggling Udinese side who are in 14th place in the league but shouldn't be worried about relegation too much.

View attachment 199151

As soon as I selected the team I was nervous about today, both Mangala and Romognoli suspended we had to play our back up defence today. Acerbi patterned Mijailovic who is far more comfortable in midfield.

To compensate the weakness at center back, I pushed 2 midfielders into a holding role to give them a bit more protection. I wasn't confident at all.

View attachment 199150

We weren't at our best today but we still got the all important win which is all I was bothered about at this stage of the season, especially given the absentees we had to deal with.

It took us until the 75th minute before the broke through when substitute Adem Ljajic finished off a cross from Antonelli at the far post. He'd not been on the pitch long after replacing Kenedy who had a really poor game.

We doubled the lead, and put the game to bed a minute later when Carlos Bacca was fed through and finished 1 on 1 with the 'keeper to score his 20th of the season.

MAN OF THE MATCH - CARLOS BACCA

View attachment 199149

20 goals now in his most prolific scoring season since he joined the club. He trails Dybala by 4 goals now in the top scorer charts​

View attachment 199148

We now face another side battle relegation this season. Spezia are only just out of the relegation zone, by 1 point. This should be a fairly straight forward win as we approach the game huge favourites.

View attachment 199147

View attachment 199144

Zappacosta missed out through suspension which meant Abate returned to the side to fill the void. Other than that it's the same side that beat Udinese last time out.

View attachment 199146

What a comeback in such an up and down game!

Our day was made a really hard challenge when Abate was shown a straight red card after just 10 minutes. This really made the game difficult. We brought on Acerbui and went with a back 3 for the remaining 80 minutes.

Mate Biskup opened the scoring for the much un-fancies Spezia after only 26 minutes. Spezia taking advantage of the gap at right back where Abate should have been.

We eventually got into our stride a little when Thiago Maia levelled before half time with a good finish from an outswinging corner.

The game lacked any real quality until Mate Biskup once again scored to put the relegation candidates in front. Spezia once again exploited the space at full backs as a cross came in from wide with Biskup heading home, unmarked at the far post.

We then finally got going with Carlos Bacca beginning to run the show. The got us level with a really good strike from the edge of the box.

Then, with less than 10 minutes remaining we both won and scored the match winning penalty after being foulded in the area.

View attachment 199129

We sat back defensively and saw the game out to claim all 3 points.

MAN OF THE MATCH -

View attachment 199130

He's really been the difference for us this season. I had doubts when I took over if he could still cut it at this level but 22 goals already shows you he can.​

View attachment 199125

The 3rd game of the month saw us come up against Bologna, sitting comfortably in mid-table. They had no chance of getting relegated nor finishing much higher so they didn't really have anything to play for.

View attachment 199123

View attachment 199124

We made 2 changes for this game with Zappacosta coming in for the suspended, and very poor, Abate and also Nigel De Jong came into the side to shield the back 4 a little more than Mijailovic did against Spezia.

View attachment 199122

A much, much, better performance from the lads here.

This was never in doubt as we raced into a 3-0 lead within 35 minutes. Carlos Bacca scored the first after blasting home a penalty which was won by David Silva.

Luca Antonelli then grabbed the second after a half clearance from the Bologna defence fell to him 10 yards out and finished well.

The game got even better for us when Thiago Maia scored his second in 2 games when David Silva, again, played him trough on goal as he finished like a natural striker.

Bologna got one back around the hour mark but the game was never in danger.

MAN OF THE MATCH - DAVID SILVA

View attachment 199121

A really good performance from the little magician today. He set up two goals today and was a constant threat today cutting in from the left wing.​

Maia, Mauri and De Jong is a midfield 3 that love a tackle!

Think you may need a full on playmaker style player to get some more adventurous passes going

Maia, Mauri and De Jong is a midfield 3 that love a tackle!

Think you may need a full on playmaker style player to get some more adventurous passes going

I know mate, I think that's why we get so many yellow cards haha. Like player, like manager i suppose! I was hoping it would be Ljajic but he hasn't recovered from injury. De Jong's only in their because whenever he doesn't play we seem to concede at least 2 goals ! Obviously Strootman will come in next season :)

View attachment 199114

The final game of the month presented us with, by far, the hardest game against a Fiorentina side who are struggling in 8th position but are capable of much better.

View attachment 199113

View attachment 199112

We went with the same side that beat Bologna so comfortably last time out and hope for a similar performance, albeit against better opposition.

View attachment 199111

A really good win here in a challenging game.

The game was pretty even but we took our chances better than Fiorentina and that's what got us the win today.

David Silva opened the scoring after connecting with a cross from Zappacosta at the far post, the cross was brilliant, the finish on the volley was even better.

View attachment 199108

Carlos Bacca continued his good run with yet another goal to double our lead. Again the goal came from a Zappacosta cross, this time Bacca heading home from 6 yards out.

Fiorentina did get one back shortly afterwards but it turned out to only be a consolation.

Fiorentina were also reduced to 10 men MArio Suarez was shown a straight red after only just coming off the bench, this really squashed any hopes they had of getting back into this one.

MAN OF THE MATCH - DAVIDE ZAPPACOSTA

View attachment 199109

He set up both goals today with great crosses and also looked pretty solid defensively as well. He has to be up their for our player of the year awards this season.​

View attachment 199102

The win against Fiorentina was the final action of the month ...

View attachment 199101

A perfect month in terms of results, less so perfect when you take into account our performances, especially in the Spezia game.

In truth, I expected to win all 4 games this month and I only ever saw Fiorentina as a challenge. The other 3 were all mid-table or lower and should have all been comfortable wins.

We keep second place but both Lazio and Roma are now right behind us and challenging for that 2nd spot. Winning the league has totally gone with Juventus 15 points clear.​

Forgot about Stroots!

Hes a great box to box style, maybe have a look at Tielemans if he hasn't gone to a big club already

Forgot about Stroots!

Hes a great box to box style, maybe have a look at Tielemans if he hasn't gone to a big club already

Yeah he should be a great signing if he can stay fit :) I've a feeling that Tielemans has already moved to Madrid but will double check :) thanks for advice :)

View attachment 199100

View attachment 199099

April looks to be a harder month that March was so it's pleasing that we've got maximum points from the last 5 games to take us through this tricky period.

Chievo and Sampdoria are both in the bottom half and should be fairly comfortable wins if we can play to our best.

Lazio is a real 6 pointer with them being our nearest challengers for 2nd spot. Inter Milan will also be difficult, not just because of the rivalry but they've also picked up some form and are in 5th place.

We finish the month against Torino who are playing well above expectations and battling it out for a Europa League spot.​

View attachment 199098

We go with the same team that's done so well recently. You can't change a winning team and after winning 5 in a row I certainly couldn't make any changes here.

View attachment 199097

A bit of a poor performance here but we got the job done which takes our winning run to 6 games.

Adem Ljajic got the only goal of the game after David Silva played a brilliant ball out to him which switched the play, Ljajic beat the defender with his first touch and finished well into the bottom corner.

Im really pleased the lad's scored after his lengthy injury earlier in the season. It's only his 5th goal this season but he's played in many different positions.

MAN OF THE MATCH - Eliaquim Mangala

View attachment 199096

A really good defensive display today from the whole team but in particular Mangala. He's had a good season after joining in the summer, he's been a mainstay in the side and has only missed 2 league games all season with an average rating of 7.04.​

So many yellow and red cards, it's not even funny. Do you play aggressive? Great job until now, you won't miss out on European football for sure.

Make it higher , and even better !

Hey mate , I'm glad this season sounds good even if I think you can make it better though , do you consider next year as a possible champion or need more time to challenge Juventus !

I still learn English in reading your threat , so mind to keep a nice English |)

Still support your job !

So many yellow and red cards, it's not even funny. Do you play aggressive? Great job until now, you won't miss out on European football for sure.

I did at the start of the season but have now gone 'stay on your fee'. I think a lot of it has to be with the midfield we're playing who are all pretty defensive minded.

Hey mate , I'm glad this season sounds good even if I think you can make it better though , do you consider next year as a possible champion or need more time to challenge Juventus !

I still learn English in reading your threat , so mind to keep a nice English |)

Still support your job !

Thanks mate! Next year we should be challenging, although Juventus are so good that it will be difficult.

View attachment 198843

View attachment 198842

Once again we played the same side after our 6th win in a row came against Chievo. A slightly more difficult test today but still a game we should be winning.

View attachment 198841

View attachment 198840

So disappointing! Our first defeat in 7 games.

Pawel Wszolek opened the scoreline which was a really disappointing goal to conceed. A corner came in and Benteke won the initial header only for Pawel Wszolek to nod in from a yard out. It's obviously something they've practised on the training ground but it beat us here today.

I gave the lads a real grilling at half time and gave them all a bit more freedom to get forward, sadly that gameplan went out the window after 2 minutes when Sampdoria doubled their lead. The second was exactly the same as the first only this time Toby Alderweireld got the final touch after Benteke had once again won the original header.

We were poor today and I can't even remember us creating a good chance all game.

MAN OF THE MATCH - CHRISTIAN BENTEKE (Sampdoria)

View attachment 198839

Was a real handful and set up both goals by winning the headers from the corners. He's got 15 goals after moving from Liverpool in the summer for £4 million.​

View attachment 198838

After our defeat to Sampdoria, we received some expected news ...

View attachment 198837

Juventus win Serie A once again!

It was always expected this but they've won by such a huge margin that all the top teams really need to improve just to stay close to them next season ...

View attachment 198836

They're already a massive 17 points ahead of us and an even bigger, 25 points ahead of Roma in 3rd.

With another 6 games to I can only see this lead being extended.

With another 18 points to play for, they're fully on course to break through the 100 point mark!​

View attachment 198835

Another tough game here after losing our winning run Sampdoria last time out.

View attachment 198833

View attachment 198831

We made a couple of changes for this game and dropped a further midfielder a little deeper to help out the back 4. Ayoze Perez also got his first start after recovering from his injury earlier in the season.

View attachment 198830

This was really really disappointing! A second defeat in a row!

Lazio opened the scoring when Khouma Babacar headed home from 6 yards out after beating Romagnoli in the air too easily.

Carlos Bacca got us back in the game after converting a cross put in from Antonelli to make it 1-1. However we only kept level for a couple of minutes when once again we conceded from a corner. Mauri lost his header from the corner and the ball fell to Jacopo Sala who finished on the rebound.

We really pushed to get back in the game but the closest we came was Mangala heading against the post late on.

MAN OF THE MATCH - Jacopo Sala

View attachment 198824

Scored the winner as well as assisting the first with a really good cross from deep.​

View attachment 198823

With 2 defeats in a row I was desperate to stop the rot here against the big rivals. Inter aren't a bad side though and have it all to play for to qualify for Europe next season.

View attachment 198822

View attachment 198821

We brought it Bernard and Mijailovic in for today after 2 defeats in a row, hopefully he can sure the defence up somewhat after conceding 4 goals in the last 2 games.

View attachment 198820

A little disappointing here.

I think with Juventus already winning the league, I think the lads are already on their holidays.

We're now only 3 points clear of 3rd place which Lazio are currently occupying. That means we'll need a minimum of 7 points from our remaining 3 games which see's us up against Torino, Bari and Sassuolo.

MAN OF THE MATCH - DAVIDE ZAPPACOSTA

View attachment 198819

He showed a good defensive performance today which is a little different to his normal marauding attacking displays he's been showing all season.​

View attachment 198815

The last few performances have been really poor, we need a win here today to make sure the season doesn't just peter out.

Torino won't be easy though, they're having a good season and are 8th before kick off.

View attachment 198814

View attachment 198813

We went with 2 holding midfielders today to try and give the back 4 some much needed protection. I also pushed Mauri further forward in hope of linking play with Carlos Bacca a bit better as he sometimes seems all alone up-front.

View attachment 198812

The month ends in disappointing fashion as we fall to our 3rd defeat in the last 4 games!

Carlos Bacca took the lead after half an hour and all looked good for a much needed win.

Torino however hit back just before half time with some shocking defending from Managla let him 1v1 with the keeper.

Torino then grabbed the win after a very impressive second half performance from them.

MAN OF THE MATCH - Andrea Belotti

View attachment 198810

He led their line very well today and caused Mangala, in particular, no end of trouble. He also scored the winner in the second half with a great strike.​

Back