Patrick Vieira - from Midfielder to Manager

The next game was another winnable game, at home to Watford who were in 14th place with very indifferent form. I really felt we could make it 3 wins from 3 here!

I decided to go with Papis Cisse up-front to replace the injured Mitrovic. Other than that it was the same team that won the previous two.

View attachment 216947View attachment 216945

How wrong was I !!

I think if we're honest with ourselves here, we underestimated Watford! We went far too attacking and left so much space in midfield it was a joke.

Watford created chances at will, fortunately for us most of their efforts were from distance and their finishing was woeful.

We got off to a horrendous start by conceding after just 8 minutes. Alex Grimaldo just ran through our midfield and took a shot from the edge of the box which beat Karl Darlow too easily.

We rallied back though and equalised through Papiss Cisse who headed home well from a deep Haidara cross.

We went in at half time level and actually finished the half the better side and looked like grabbing a second.

The second half was a different story, we couldn't cope with the pace of Watford. Wijnaldum and Anita were totally overrun in midfield and couldn't keep the ball well enough.

Watford eventually grabbed what turned out to be the winner which went down as an Mbemba own goal. A cross came in from the right which Mbemba tried to clear but instead diverted it past Darlow to put Watford 2-1.

We had chances late on to equalise but they all seemed to fall to Cisse who looked more like Bambi on ice than a professional footballer.

This defeat has me really questioning if 4-4-2 is the right way to go after all.

Man of the match:

View attachment 216944

Craig Cathcart:

Rating: 8.2

Goals: 0

Assists: 0​

Next up is Southampton at home. This is yet another winnable game, Southampton are in 13th place and haven't won in 5 games! This really is the perfect time to play them.

I changed this slightly from the Watford defeat. I felt we needed an extra man in midfield after losing possession far too easily last time around.

View attachment 216917

This is what I went for with Cheick Tiote coming in for Papiss Cisse and will act as a holding midfielder to give the defence some much needed cover.

View attachment 216916View attachment 216914

Back to winning ways!

A brilliant win here to get back on form! It's so pleasing when a tactical change works like this.

We played really well and although Southampton had a lot of shots, only 2 were on target all game! Having said that only 3 of ours were as well.

Georginio Wijnaldum opened the scoring with a good effort from the edge of the box.

Wijnaldum then turned provider as he played a brilliant ball forward to Perez who finished cooly past the 'keeper.

The second half was much of the same, we didn't really create as many chances as I'd hoped for but we saw the game out well and bossed the midfield and possession.

Man of the match:

View attachment 216910

Georginio Wijnaldum

Rating: 9.0

Goals: 1

Assists: 1

The final game of the month was a re-match of my one and only loss as a manager! Against Watford, this time though at Vicarage Road.

I went with the same team that beat Southampton and keep Tiote as the holding midfielder.

View attachment 216909
View attachment 216906

We certainly learned our lesson!

Moussa Sissoko put in a brilliant performance and bagged both goals in a very good 2-1 win.

The first half was very even with neither side creating very little with shots from distance being the closest either side came to breaking the deadlock.

The second half though was a totally different story as both sides seemed to come to life.

Sissoko opened the scoring 3 minutes into the second half after a very good run from outside from Janmaat who then played through Sissoko who finished well.

Sissoko then grabbed his second after Wijnaldum layed the ball off at the edge of the area, Sissoko struck the ball hard and low which beat the keeper into the bottom corner.

Watford rallied back and had plenty of efforts from distance but we were so strong at the back they struggled to get in behind.

They did get one back though through Victor Ibarbo who headed home at the far post from a corner.

Watford failed to create anything else of any significance as the game finished 2-1.

It's funny how Sissoko put in such a performance just as the January transfer window opens ...

Man of the match:

View attachment 216905

Moussa Sissoko

Rating: 8.9

Goals: 2

Assists: 0

END OF MONTH REVIEW

So, I've been in the job almost a month now so I thought it was time to look back on our results and performances:

View attachment 216903

Not a bad start then, 4 wins from my opening 5 games is about as good as I could hope for!

The 3-1 win over Palace was probably our best performance but my favourite result was the 2-0 home win over Southampton. I was really worried that the defeat against Watford would put the fear back into the lads but we overcame that disappointment, changed a couple of things tactically and beat Southampton in a very good performance.

Obviously the only disappointment is the 2-1 home defeat to Watford. We were so poor here and thoroughly deserved to lose!

View attachment 216902

I'm just as pleased looking at the league table.

We moved from 18th place right up to 11th and 5 points clear of the relegation zone. I know this is a bit of a false position because this form can't continue, especially when we play some of the better sides, but its still really pleasing and encouraging.

View attachment 216901

The good form of Georginio Wijnaldum and Moussa Sissoko didn't go unnoticed either as both were nominated for the 'player of the month award', coming 2nd and 3rd respectively.

Both have been outstanding and a huge reason for our brilliant form. I dread to think where we'd be without these two!

I just hope that we're able to keep them both, especially with Sissoko thinking about leaving anyway.

Just a bit of light reading ....

View attachment 216807

At the end of November Newcastle had just suffered their 10th​ defeat of the season, a 1-0 home defeat to second bottom side, Aston Villa.

This defeat left the club with just 9 points from 14 games and a quite unbelievable goal return of just 4 goals from 14 league games.

The fans were demanding a change at the very top of the club.

View attachment 216805

This display and record was enough for owner, Mike Ashley, to cut ties with new manager Steve McClaren after less than 5 months in charge. The man to come in and replace the ex England manager had to be the right call for Ashley, get it wrong and the club faced certain relegation and miss out on the bumper new TV deal next season, get the appointment right and Newcastle could receive up to £120million just for staying in the division.

View attachment 216804

With such a risk-reward dilemma, you would think Mike Ashley would go for a tried and tested manager with Premier League experience, but the Newcastle owner thought a little more out the box as he appointmed for ex Arsenal and Manchester City midfielder, Patrick Vieira.

View attachment 216803

Now it would be harsh to say Vieira had no managerial experience as he was the manager of Manchester City Under 21 side for 3 years and achieved great success there. But managing Newcastle United in a Premier League relegation dogfight is a totally different challenge.

But the lack of managerial experience hasn't hampered Vieira who has recorded 4 wins from 5 games and got the team back to goalscoring ways with 10 goals scored in their last 5 matches.

Things are looking rosy for the former hardman of the Premier League but with some tough fixtures coming up we'll have to see if this can continue.​

View attachment 216797

January 2016

So 1st of January is here, we're on a brilliant run of form and I now want to make my own mark on this squad. So I arrange a meeting with Mike Ashley in the hope of agreeing a decent budget.

If we can strengthen well now then there's no reason why we can't aim for a top half finish.

There's only one problem, I know what Mike Ashley is like ... A real b*****d!

View attachment 971969

Patrick Vieira: Hi Mr Ashley, thanks for seeing me. I wanted to discuss what sort of budget I can expect for this transfer window?

Mike Ashley: None!

Patrick Vieira: Excuse me? When I took the job you told me there would be funds available.

Mike Ashley: Well I've seen how the squad has performed since you've come in and I don't think any funds are needed. The squad is plenty good enough.

Patrick Vieira: Are you kidding? We're on good form because we've played **** sides! Wait for anyone in the top half to come and you'll see how poor we are.

Mike Ashley: If you want to buy anyone then you'll have to sell first. Oh any 40% of any transfer funds which come in go straight into the clubs finances.

Patrick Vieira: This is so disappointing. I ...

Mike Ashley: Before you go complaining Patrick, let me remind you that we spent £50 million in the summer on new players! I'm not doing that again in the same season! Sell some players and you can use 60% of whatever you bring in. That'll be all. Goodbye.

I left his office absolutely furious!! I was promised some money when I took the job on!

I don't want £20 million, just a couple would be fine, but no, he flat out refused.

So I guess we'll have to start selling ...​

View attachment 216547

January 2016

So after the chairman told me that we wasn't giving me any funds to spend in January, I decided I have to get rid of some of the deadwood to try and raise some funds. I offered some of the fringe players out to clubs and received some interest straight away:

View attachment 216545

First up, QPR offered £65k for Mike Williamson. This is peanuts for Premier League clubs but I thought it at least got him off the wage bill.

Williamson hasn't featured since I took over and I think he's miles off Premier League quality. His contract also runs out in the summer so this was my last chance to bring in any money for him, even if it is only £65k.

Offer accepted!

View attachment 216544

Next up, Montepllier offered £2million for Yoan Gouffran.

Again, not an awful lot of money but every little helps if we want to bring anyone in during this window. The only downside to this offer is that Montpellier wanted us to cover £7,250 of his weekly wages and they wouldn't budge on this at all !

Offer accepted!

View attachment 216543

Another lowly transfer came in, this time for reserve goalkeeper Rob Elliot.

Elliot hasn't featured for us yet and has been playing for the reserves. He's a long way behind Krul and Darlow so I really don't think he'll be missed.

Offer accepted!

View attachment 216541

The final offer we received finally offered us some decent money.

An offer of £4million was received by both Sampdoria and Wolfsburg for Siem De Jong. De Jong's been miles off the first team and wasn't even selected in the Premier League squad under McClaren.

I'm quite pleased to be able to bring in some money for him.

Offers accepted!

Last edited:
View attachment 216540

January 2016

With all the offers being received a few days ago, I was hoping that all could agree personal terms and leave the club.

We still had other players I wanted to move on such as Papiss Cisse, Riviere, Obertan and a couple of others but no offers materialised after being offered out.

View attachment 216539

The big one came first as Siem De Jong joined German side Wolfsburg for £4million. The best bit about this offer is that its being paid up-front which means we can use around £3.3 million of this.

View attachment 216538

Rob Elliot then left to join Brighton for £170k. I think this move is best for both parties as he's never going to get first team football here with the two lads in front of him.

View attachment 216537

Gouffran then made it 3 to leave. He joined Montpellier for £2million which, like the De Jong deal, is being paid up-front. This means about £1.7million can be spent.

View attachment 216536

There's always one!

Mike Williamson turns down the chance to join QPR and therefore will stay with us for the rest of the season! It's a shame but nothing too bad as we were only getting £60k anyway!

View attachment 216535

January 2016

With 3 players sold, we finally had some money knocking about to spend!

£5 million to spend and so many positions to strengthen!

As I was scrolling through the news I noticed that two of my rivals, Norwich and Watford had offers accepted for QPR signing Charlie Austin. I soon joined the chasing pack ...

View attachment 216532

I'm pretty surprised how cheap I got the offer accepted at to be honest. He hasn't been in brilliant form this season but last year he did really well in the Premier League, so I know he's capable.

The offer was accepted but I knew I had to contend with the other sides. I offered a contract I felt was fair and Charlie was happy with. We just had to wait and see what Watford and Norwich offer now.

View attachment 216531

This was so disappointing! I was really hoping Charlie would join us and was happy with what we'd offered.

Our contract offer was very similar to the one he's accepted at Watford, unless they've given him a stupid signing on fee or something.

I really can't work out why he's chosen Watford over us! I can only put it down to location of the football club.

With the Charlie Austin offer dead and buried, my attentions turned elsewhere.

I've been getting increasingly concerned that our midfield is getting overrun. I like Wijnaludim but Tiote and Anita aren't really performing as I'd hoped.

So this is the area I was looking to improve. But looking on the transfer market, there was no one available!

I'm keen to sign someone English as I'm not even starting 1 at the minute!

And then I found him ...

DELE ALLI.

View attachment 216529

View attachment 216528

What a prospect!

He's only 19 but really has the potential to be one of the best midfielders in the world and really should be an England regular in time to come.

Even though he's only 19, I still think he can challenge Anita and Tiote right now and get himself a spot in the starting line up most weeks.

The only problem was the transfer would take up my whole budget! Tottenham wanted £8.5 million but I was able to pay a lot of this over time and after certain landmarks had been reached by the player.

Given that very few other players were actually available, I went ahead with the deal and offered him a decent contract!​

View attachment 216527

January 2016

View attachment 216526

We finally managed to get the deal over the line!

Dele Alli becomes my first ever signing, and what a signing he could prove to be!

Mike Ashley wasn't happy that I'd spent the whole budget on one player but I thought '**** him'. You've given me a budget to spend and I've spent it.

He'll have to fight to get into the side straight away but once he finds himself he'll be quality.

I can't work out why Tottenham haven't given him a chance after only signing him last season.

View attachment 216524

View attachment 216525

With all the transfer business out the way, it was time again to concentrate on the league and an important game against Norwich away from home.

We went with the same team as last time out as Dele Alli didn't get clearance in time for this one.

View attachment 216522
View attachment 216521

What a shocking result!

There's absolutely no positives to take from this game. It's a case of us just not showing up.

The stats show the game being fairly close but watching it live it certainly didn't feel like that.​

View attachment 216449

January 2016

After the disappointment of the Norwich result, I was hoping to get the lads in early and really work on our preparation for our next game, an FA cup tie at home to Middlesbrough.

But before the game we were met with some further transfer news ...

View attachment 216448

This really shocked me!!

Janmaat has been decent this season but he's certainly not shown the kind of form you need to play for Barcelona.

I don't want to lose Janmaat but if a really big offer comes in then I'd be tempted.

I tried to negotiate them up so they'd pay more of the fee up-front as opposed to monthly instalments.

View attachment 216447

Sadly though I pushed it too hard and they ended up pulling out of the deal altogether!

I'm not that disappointed though as I don't want to lose anyone at this stage of the season. If they're still interested then we'll try again in the summer.

It looks like it'll have to be the summer anyway as days after the offer coming in, Janmaat picked up an injury in training ...

View attachment 216446

I'm sure this will put Barcelona off coming back in for him until the summer at least.​

View attachment 216445
View attachment 216444

Really disappointed that we have to take this to a replay.

We really should be winning this kind of match, especially as I'm putting emphasis on a cup run this season.

The game was pretty even but I'd still say we edged the game and deserved the win, just.

We'' have to go again at the Riverside if we want to progress, we'll have to play much better next time around though.​

After the 0-0 draw against Boro in the FA Cup, we had to host Man Utd in easily my toughest games in charge.

View attachment 215012

We changed back to our strongest side but had our mentality as defensive.

The best news that came before the game is that Tim Krul passed a late fitness test and was straight into the side. Karl Darlow, who had been in the side since I've took over, did okay but was at fault for a couple of the goals recently. Krul should be a big improvement.

The front 4 of Man Utd really worry me, they can create chances galore out of nothing. Their back 4 thought is definitely a weak point.

View attachment 215009

I'm really happy with this result, although a part of me still thinks we could have even got the win.

Thauvin put us 1-0 up shortly after the half hour mark before Depay equalised minutes later!

Moussa Sissoko then won and converted a penalty before half time to put us back in-front.

Just as I'd planned my half time team-talk, Wayne Rooney converted a penalty when Coloccini brought done Depay in the area.

Both sides had a few chances in the second half but nothing concrete.

The draw was probably a fair result.

MAN OF THE MATCH:

View attachment 215004

Memphis Depay

Rating: 8.90

Goals: 1

Assists: 1

The draw with Man Utd have us real confidence ahead of an away trip to face Tottenham.

We went with the same line up and set up defensively.

View attachment 214690

Sadly it didn't work!

Tottenham bossed the game here from start to finish as we created very little all game.

The winner cam from a Fabricio Coloccini own goal when he deflected the ball passed Krul. A cross came in from Lamela which Coloccini beat Kane to, sadly though it fizzed off his shin and straight past Krul who didn't even move.​

View attachment 214685View attachment 214684

Finally we got some revenge on Middlesbrough!

It took some doing as we had to go through extra time in order to get the win.

A couple of minutes before half time, Cheick Tiote was shown a red card with a poor tackle on Stuani. The red seemed harsh to me but it didn't help our chances.

Boro took the lead through Christian Stuani as he ran off Mbemba's shoulder and finished after being one on one with the 'keeper.

Thauvin then brought us level 10 minutes into the second half after a short back pass by Stewart Downing which left Thauvin one on one and finished well.

With neither side able to find a winner, the match went into extra time.

Deigo Fabbrini then grabbed Boro's second to put them infront, he finished well from a Downing cross from the left hand side.

James Husband then gave away a penalty with a foul on Moussa Sissoko 4 minutes later. Mitrovic then finished the penalty to make it 2-2.

With only a couple of minutes left, Moussa Sissoko ran with the ball down the right channel and crossed in for Ayoze Perez who finished well to send the crowd wild.

The draw for the next round was pretty kind to us as well ...

View attachment 214662

Sunderland away from home!

It certainly could have been worse. I'd have preferred the tie to be at home but I'd of taken that before the draw.

Putting the derby aspect of it to one side, it's still a winnable tie.​

Last edited: